Options

My 8-Year Old's First PJ Show Upcoming Portland

frankcarterivfrankcarteriv Bozeman, Montana Posts: 19

Good evening PJ community! 

I wanted to share the excitement of my 8YO son, Quinn, for his first Pearl Jam show this Friday in Portland. He has been listening to DM non-stop on his discman now for weeks. It feels profound for me as a human and father to experience the power that authentic music and art has on imagination, creativity, love, connection, and sense of belonging. It is an indescribable feeling to relive through Quinn’s experience and my own at once how Pearl Jam inspires and captivates and invigorates life.  

I feel immeasurable love and connection when watching Quinn be swept away in his own world of thought and sound in his earphones. My first show was Missoula 1998 for my 16th birthday after intently listening and following the band on my walkman and discman since Ten. Quinn reminds me that my attentiveness and “being with” him in our experiences of life together is what matters most–whether we are in nature, at home in Montana, at a PJ show–anywhere—we are together. Soul memory. 

We can’t wait to share it with all of you! Quinn commented to me this morning on the way to school, “I hope they play Stevie because I don’t think I can wait until the next tour."

“Be mighty. Be humble. Be mighty humble.” Our shared favorite EV line on DM and a beautiful, poetic axiom.  

Immense gratitude for the band in every incarnation and for continuing to usher in what they do to share with future generations. This album in particular will always and forever be a part of Quinn’s growing up and out into the world. Thank you Pearl Jam. Thank you incredible fans. Thank you 10Club. Thanks to each of you who make this extraordinary experience possible to share and relive. May the Barolo flow plentiful for many years to come!

Frank and Quinn Carter (Bozeman, Montana)

Please watch this video of Quinn's Dark Matter Quiz: https://youtu.be/f4VVjh3x8x0

Thanks!

Frank Carter IV

Comments

• Options
    Bearclaw53Bearclaw53 Dallas, TX Posts: 62
    Inspiring. Because of you, Quinn has the upper hand! 
  • Options
    Thank you, Bearclaw! 
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 222
    Feel this big time. My son will turn 8 in a couple weeks as well and tomorrow in Portland will not only be his first PJ show, but first real concert in general. We've been building to this moment for years now ever since he started rocking out alongside me as I would play PJ records around the house. The earliest one he seemed to gravitate towards was the Let's Play Two soundtrack. He was always reaching for that one for me to put on the turntable. It's a real full circle moment for me, as my dad took home Father of the Year accolades when in 1996, he took me out of school at lunch time so we could drive up to Seattle and see them play old Key Arena to kick off the No Code tour, my first ever PJ show. Now here I am 28 years later taking my son to his first PJ show. When you step back, it's pretty remarkable that we were able to all call this band our own. So many didn't make it or didn't make it through so intact. What a treat it is.
  • Options
    edited May 9
    I so appreciate your response and story, djjazzy, from one parent and father to another.  Im going to look up the set of your first show now. Sounds indelible! no code tour and with your dad so special. My intent with the discussion was to create synergy and ignite storytelling around intergenerational PJ experience. I hope other parents, fans will continue to add to this thread. We would love to connect with you and your son in Portland if time permits. We come in tomorrow afternoon head to Hyatt, eat something, head to merch for a poster for his room, then to the show. We leave early for the airport the next morning back to MT. Any other parents bringing their kids would be welcome to join up too. It is such a gift as you said and would be fun to celebrate that altogether. Wonderful to connect on this level and in this precious place in life with you, Frank
    Post edited by frankcarteriv on
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    edited May 9
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2002/keyarena-seattle-wa-bd62126.html

Is this the one? incredible love that Lennon song and cover. Where were you and your dad in the arena? What do you remember?
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 233
    edited May 9
    My 7yo has seen Eddie several times with me lately, but Seattle will be her first time seeing the entire band.

She missed seeing them with me in PHX '22 - wife said "Eddie swears too much." I made her promise we could see them the next time they played Seattle, no matter what.

I also feel the intergenerational draw. My daughter's first real tour was Dead and Company in '22 (how that flew but PJ didn't, I don't know) - like a few of us here I was caught in that era between peak Dead and early PJ, and am so happy she's gotten to see some of the people and experiences that really shaped my youth.  We went from Boulder all the way to Bethel, catching 6-7 shows along the way - it was really something for a 5yo, and the start of our now annual summer adventure. 

She's written her first song, with a cheap plastic ukulele, that she'll be playing in her 1st grade talent show next week. I promised her we'd build her a real uke when we get back from our trip this summer. As long as she promises never to smash it on stage. 
    Post edited by njhaley1 on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,488
    Have a great time! Having taken 3 of our 4 kids to see Pearl Jam I can appreciate the full circle feeling of sharing it with a child.  Our 12 year old will be seeing his first Pearl Jam show with us in Baltimore and then I will feel like I have finished an important job as a dad by getting all 4 of them to see them live.  Enjoy! 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited May 9
    Wow! Id love to hear/see her song if you'd want to share maybe she could smash the plastic one after her 1st grade talent show. My son is learning uke and guitar right now. I am also a Dead fan...I resonate with that in between too its a good one. My wife and I were in Seattle for one of the Home Shows. We were also at the EV benaroya shows most recently. Did you attend those with your Daughter? Night one was pretty profane with Jeff Ross roasting and not child friendly. Incredible shows though and they raised a lot for EB. Thank you for sharing your stories wish we could join you this tour in Seattle. Have a blast with your girl at her first full band PJ experience. 
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    On2legs! Amazing what an incredible feat. Congratulations great dad on ya! Have an awesome time w your youngest in Baltimore 
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    Maybe after you’ve taken them all through you can all go to the rail together.
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    KNCardenKNCarden Maine Posts: 1
    So incredibly excited for you and Quinn!!! His quiz skills are beyond impressive. This will be a treasured memory you both, and one I’m sure you will build on with tour after tour (even if the wait in between seems interminable for an 8-year old … and who am I kidding, for us parents too). Hopefully one day our families can meet up at one and share the music together. Have the most wonderful time. Sending all the good Stevie vibes!
  • Options
    Thank you so much! We’d love that of course. 
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,227
    Have fun in Portland! A fun time to share PJ with your child! Took my son to his first PJ shows in Nashville and St. Louis in ‘22. Wonderful memories. We are both looking forward to two nights in Philly this fall!

Safe travels, have fun, enjoy the music, and do some fun sightseeing and/or eating on the trip! Sometimes the journey and enjoying the city is almost as good as the show!
  • Options
    Love this Carry thank you for sharing! I’ll post a picture at the show
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 371
    Have a great time!!  I'm in the southeast, so no shows for us at this point. My oldest will be 9 in a few months and has told me for a few years now he will go with me.  My youngest boy will be 5 this month and now he's started expressing interest although I feel he is too young yet...I think it's because dark matter has been on constantly these last few weeks driving to and from school. It would be first concerts for both my kids whenever the time comes.  

Hope Quinn has the time of his life!

Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    Amantria, thank you so much For the well wishes! driving kids to school w dark matter is some of the best memory of this album for me too. My 4 year old girl is a music lover as well…she said yesterday morning in the midst of the album “dad I want to play my music.” I said “sure honey what’s your music?” She says, “set the sun.” So excited for you to share this with your kids one day as well. I love that it’s a goal for you as much as it’s been a goal for me and to share this with so many parents and fans is so Uplifting… Kind of that nod of unspoken understanding. 
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    AP657786AP657786 Asheville Posts: 1
    edited May 10
    Its finally here!!! PJ portland day!!!! Thinking of you and Quinn and hope you have a fabulous time. I woke up in a state of sheer glee. Its a beautiful day here. Can’t wait for all of our joyful energies to merge in the Moda sooooon!!!!

Annie from Asheville
    Post edited by AP657786 on
  • Options
    Amazing! You’re there! We are heading to the airport soon. Thank you for this warm energy Annie from Asheville. Love Asheville! North Carolina I assume? ModA!!!!
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    edited May 10
    We are in section 102 anyone near or in there?
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options

Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 222
    Hope ya’ll had a great time! We were pretty close to you guys, in 203. My son made it most of the way before taking a several song power nap and waking up by the time they played Alive. The grin on his face during the show is something I’ll never forget.
  • Options
    MJ240670MJ240670 Posts: 12
    I too will be taking my 11 year old to his first Pearl Jam concert. It will also be his first concert ever. We listen to the satellite radio everyday on our way to school. This band has been a huge musical influence on me and I hope my son will also feel the live Pearl Jam magic. We were supposed to see them in Sacramento 2 years ago but were gutted the day of the show. My wife and I have seen them several times and have never been disappointed. I hope my son will find the same love their songs as I do. 
  • Options
    edited May 13
    Thank you so much for these last two entries! Amazing please share pictures.

Have the best time our time was spiritual, precious, indelible soul memory
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,227
    Super cool! Glad he enjoyed it!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,274
    I wish my parents were this cool

they took me to Church  :s
  • Options
    Thanks Carry and CROJAM! 
    Frank Carter IV
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,530
    edited May 13
    Glad you guys had a great time! So many great memories created. My wife and I took our daughter who was 13 at the time to see her first 2 concerts ever in Toronto during the PJ20 tour. She had the best time ever, we took her to the pre party, she loved that and even won a poster in the raffle 😂 
    The thing I remember most from that was when Neil Young came on stage and she said who is the old guy 😂 
    We have taken her one more time since to see them. 
    Now she has 3 kids and hopefully as they get older she can take them to concerts as well. I doubt her kids our grandkids will ever see PJ live. Her oldest is only 5, so still a little young. 
    I would love to take her oldest to a PJ once she gets older and band is still playing and going on tour. I’ve been laying the ground work for the last yr by playing videos of PJ  and telling her what her mom’s favourite songs are. 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 423
    I love this! My son Lorenzo will be coming with me to Fenway park. Can’t wait! 
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    Thank you Black35! What was the poster? Incredible! & goooooo dad & Lorenzo!
    Frank Carter IV