Options

What book are you reading?

1247248249250251253»

Comments

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,491
    Enkidu said:
    Has anyone read this?  It's hilarious and sad and strange.  I kind of like it.  

Thank you so much for posting this! Based on your description, I read this and loved it. It has been my lifelong dream to hibernate. 
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,240

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,327
    RIP Paul Auster. I’m going to start working through his books again. I think I have them all, but some are here in Sydney and others are still in a box in Wales, so I can’t read them in order.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,986
    Just finished Out of Africa.
    Lot's of subtle life truths revealed/recognized in that book. Plus I'm easily influenced. Really loved it after pushing through some sad parts about the wildlife.
    Hope to watch the movie tonight.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,801
    PJ1973 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm reading The Man in the High Castle. Frankly, I think it kinda sucks, which surprises me. It's a bit of a slog. Barely anything happens for most of it. It could have been so much better, with the amazing concept.
    I remember when the series was out, hearing that the book it was based on was not great. Meanwhile 90% of that series was great!

I finally started this and am about halfway through. 

Road by Cormac McCarthy 2007 Vintage International trade paperback - Picture 1 of 6

What a book!  Not for everyone because it's rather dark, but I literally couldn't put it down, and read it in one sitting. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,601
    goldrush said:
    RIP Paul Auster. I’m going to start working through his books again. I think I have them all, but some are here in Sydney and others are still in a box in Wales, so I can’t read them in order.

This is on my list, also New York Trilogy..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,601
    Passenger 23 - Sebastian Fitzek  Skroutz
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    I just finished the audiobook for The Revolutionary: Samuel Adams By Stacy Schiff. Very interesting. I've ready quite a few books about that time in U.S. history, but this emphasized events I didn't know.

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    brianlux said:
    PJ1973 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm reading The Man in the High Castle. Frankly, I think it kinda sucks, which surprises me. It's a bit of a slog. Barely anything happens for most of it. It could have been so much better, with the amazing concept.
    I remember when the series was out, hearing that the book it was based on was not great. Meanwhile 90% of that series was great!

Road by Cormac McCarthy 2007 Vintage International trade paperback - Picture 1 of 6

What a book!  Not for everyone because it's rather dark, but I literally couldn't put it down, and read it in one sitting. 
    I'm a slow reader with CM.  Read some paragraphs 5 times.  Almost distracting how much I enjoy some of his wording!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,491

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,801
    brianlux said:
    PJ1973 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm a slow reader with CM.  Read some paragraphs 5 times.  Almost distracting how much I enjoy some of his wording!

Yes, quite the wordsmith.  And nothing  wrong with savoring good writing!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.