Options

Big Black

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited August 2006 in Other Music
anyone heard this underground punk band from the 80s? the frontman steve albini produced nirvana's in utero. They made some of the most disturbing music I've ever heard. There is no death metal song in the world as scary to my ears as Jordan, Minnesota by Big Black. the music is one thing but listen to the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gfuN_Llqs
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    any chance you just got finished reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life"? They are the only band in there mentioned that I have yet to hear. One of these days for sure. From the chapter, they did leave the impression of disturbing.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    any chance you just got finished reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life"? They are the only band in there mentioned that I have yet to hear. One of these days for sure. From the chapter, they did leave the impression of disturbing.
    I haven't read it but I have noticed that all these punk bands I've got into recently, Fugazi, Black Flag, Big Black, Husker Du are all in there. Basically I think Steve Albini didn't give a shit what people thought. Jordan, Minnesota is a song from the point of view of a whole town of child molesters. its very disturbing. Thats not to say he advocated what he sings about though. i think its more social commentary
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    alobaralobar Posts: 310
    transplant wrote:

that's a great book and yes, I have Big Black- Songs About Fucking. I haven't listened to it much because most of the songs sounds like all the others and the music is so pounding it gets to me a bit, but there are some gems on there like "Ergot" and "Pavement Saw."
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Atomizer was one record that really changed my musical orientation in a big, big way. His guitar sounds like nothing I'd ever heard before at the time. Smiths, Cure, REM, Husker, PIL, and Replacements were all great in that time. But Big Black really stood out to me. Kerosene and Bad Houses are the ones that did it for me off of Atomizer... If you like Albini, go score a copy of his post-BB band, Rapeman. The record/CD you'll want is called Two Nuns and a Pack Mule. It kicks a lot of a$$! They do a completely sick version of ZZ Topp's 'Just Got Paid.' Then there's 'Up Beat' a track that sounds like something off of Van Halen's Fair Warning album that's just gone horribly wrong (in a really good way). So anyway, drum machine be damned and all, he has such a wicked guitar sound that it more than makes up for any of it.

Btw, along with Atomizer, Pixies Surfer Rosa and Butthole Surfers Hairway to Steven and Locust Abortion Technition were others that opened a lot of new musical avenues for me in the late-80's. Then there was Dinosaur Jr.'s first few...but they deserve a whole seperate thread! At least the Dino version w/ Lou and Murph...

Albini the record producer/recorder -- don't forget his work with Slint, PJ Harvey, Tar, Jesus Lizard, and Breeders...just to name a few. It always struck me as odd for a guy who used a drum machine in his own band -- yet could get such a killer, ambient drum sound when he recorded for others!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    dirt wrote:
    Atomizer was one record that really changed my musical orientation in a big, big way. His guitar sounds like nothing I'd ever heard before at the time. Smiths, Cure, REM, Husker, PIL, and Replacements were all great in that time. But Big Black really stood out to me. Kerosene and Bad Houses are the ones that did it for me off of Atomizer... If you like Albini, go score a copy of his post-BB band, Rapeman. The record/CD you'll want is called Two Nuns and a Pack Mule. It kicks a lot of a$$! They do a completely sick version of ZZ Topp's 'Just Got Paid.' Then there's 'Up Beat' a track that sounds like something off of Van Halen's Fair Warning album that's just gone horribly wrong (in a really good way). So anyway, drum machine be damned and all, he has such a wicked guitar sound that it more than makes up for any of it.

Btw, along with Atomizer, Pixies Surfer Rosa and Butthole Surfers Hairway to Steven and Locust Abortion Technition were others that opened a lot of new musical avenues for me in the late-80's. Then there was Dinosaur Jr.'s first few...but they deserve a whole seperate thread! At least the Dino version w/ Lou and Murph...

Albini the record producer/recorder -- don't forget his work with Slint, PJ Harvey, Tar, Jesus Lizard, and Breeders...just to name a few. It always struck me as odd for a guy who used a drum machine in his own band -- yet could get such a killer, ambient drum sound when he recorded for others!
    good call on the buttholes. my friend is into them bigtime and burnt me about 10 albums... of some of the weirdest music ever :D Independent worm saloon is my favourite album by them.
  • Options
    almorvialmorvi Posts: 16
    Big Black were amazing. Albini's bands make some of the most confrontational music ever and he's an exceptional producer. Check out Shellac (Steve Albini, Bob Weston and Todd Trainer). Their At Action Park is Albini's finest moment. And check out some of the Albini's productions too, like The Jesus Lizard or Slint. Killers.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,197
    Holy shit