Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 697
    beano.79 said:
    Does your office have showers?
    I know many run at lunch but I wouldn't think I'd have time to gear up....stretch....run....cool down....shower, change.  This all takes time.  My damn gearing up and stretching can take 15 minutes.  (Or, 30 if at 4AM and I'm still trying to wake up)
    Shower. A small gym. Sauna. yeah.

We stretch out the lunchbreak the days we run. I would say with changing etc we are away maybe an hour, so with eating afterwards~90 minutes maybe. Sometimes longer if people run like a 7-8K.
    .makes sense.  I don't have 10 minutes free between 700 and 600 most days.  Some slots are double and triple booked, lol.  I think is good that people can work running in however they do....and they also probably feel great.
    Do you have a "Wellness grant/allowance" at work? 
    I believe from what I've heard/read here in England, Scandinavian countries are streets ahead of the rest of us regarding wellness, work/life balance.

I'd like to hear more about a wellness grant so I can put it forward to my bosses!
    In Sweden is it in someway tax subsidized for companies. And "most" companies have some form of Wellness grant, because obviously it's a factor for people when choosing employer.

At my job, we used to have 200 dollars a year. That could be spent on Massage, Gym card, Application fee for a marathon etc. It can not be used on things, like running shoes, golf clubs or a Garmin watch etc. The government are the ones deciding what is allowed.

Now we have 600 dollars a year. But the company only pays 80% of it, and the employee has to pay 20%. So when I applied for the Gothenburg halfmarathon, which was 100 dollars application fee, they pay 80 dollars and I have to pay 20 dollars.
    Sounds good, we get some help with certain medical things and opticians etc, but not anything for more leisurely activities 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    I know many run at lunch but I wouldn't think I'd have time to gear up....stretch....run....cool down....shower, change.  This all takes time.  My damn gearing up and stretching can take 15 minutes.  (Or, 30 if at 4AM and I'm still trying to wake up)

We stretch out the lunchbreak the days we run. I would say with changing etc we are away maybe an hour, so with eating afterwards~90 minutes maybe. Sometimes longer if people run like a 7-8K.
    .makes sense.  I don't have 10 minutes free between 700 and 600 most days.  Some slots are double and triple booked, lol.  I think is good that people can work running in however they do....and they also probably feel great.
    I believe from what I've heard/read here in England, Scandinavian countries are streets ahead of the rest of us regarding wellness, work/life balance.

I'd like to hear more about a wellness grant so I can put it forward to my bosses!
    In Sweden is it in someway tax subsidized for companies. And "most" companies have some form of Wellness grant, because obviously it's a factor for people when choosing employer.

At my job, we used to have 200 dollars a year. That could be spent on Massage, Gym card, Application fee for a marathon etc. It can not be used on things, like running shoes, golf clubs or a Garmin watch etc. The government are the ones deciding what is allowed.

Now we have 600 dollars a year. But the company only pays 80% of it, and the employee has to pay 20%. So when I applied for the Gothenburg halfmarathon, which was 100 dollars application fee, they pay 80 dollars and I have to pay 20 dollars.
    Sounds good, we get some help with certain medical things and opticians etc, but not anything for more leisurely activities 
    I've heard of some companies here in US doing such things but it is not standard and we don't have that.  I don't know how small or mid size companies could support.
    Cool that you get that, SC.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Another marathon this coming Monday (a holiday here in England) 

Was unable to run originally which is why I booked last weekends, but now I can, so I will 😜

Not sure I'll be able to run it very quickly but hate to see it go to waste
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,200
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

I've heard of some companies here in US doing such things but it is not standard and we don't have that.  I don't know how small or mid size companies could support.
    Cool that you get that, SC.
    Hehe. I haven't really used it though... I used it for like two years on a gym membership without going. But being able to now use it on some race applications is nifty. And I will try to make going to the gym a habit.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Was unable to run originally which is why I booked last weekends, but now I can, so I will 😜

Why are the British using miles and not the metric system? Must be the only country in Europe? Weird.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Alot of my friends have their watches set to km and measured their pace in mins per km. 

I always use miles

But yes, on the roads, speed etc it's miles
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,389
    Anyone going to be in Vancouver?
  • Options

Got a refurbished 55. So was a bit cheaper. If I fall in love with wearing a watch I might look into a more expensive option later. If I don’t like it this will work as a strict watch for running 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684

Got a refurbished 55. So was a bit cheaper. If I fall in love with wearing a watch I might look into a more expensive option later. If I don’t like it this will work as a strict watch for running 
    Hope you love it.
    I measure so many things with my garmin, and my son loves the 55.  We compare some of the items frequently. 
    He lords his superior VO2 max over me.  Not really fair.  He is almost 10, I am 50.  This is not an even playing field!  :lol:  
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Wtf....Marathon two weekends in a row?  Crazy!  Wildman!  
    Love it, dude, this is fucking awesome. 
  • Options

Hope you love it.
    I measure so many things with my garmin, and my son loves the 55.  We compare some of the items frequently. 
    He lords his superior VO2 max over me.  Not really fair.  He is almost 10, I am 50.  This is not an even playing field!  :lol:  
    maybe you should go do a VO2-test together as a father-and-son thing?? And get your real results? :) My collegague want's us to go do it as a team building exercise. hehe

• Options

Hope you love it.
    maybe you should go do a VO2-test together as a father-and-son thing?? And get your real results? :) My collegague want's us to go do it as a team building exercise. hehe

Yeah I know a dude who works at a place where they do this.  If he was local I'd have already done it.  
    It is meant to be a hellish test.  (Kinda why I want to do it)
    I'm down 3 points since I've taken my distances back.  Pissed about it - want to get at least one tick higher again.  Age works against me.
  • Options
    First run with my forerunner. 10k personal best. 90 seconds better than the 10k digital seeding race I ran on thursday. hah. Maybe its the watch helping out. 

• Options
    edited May 5
    Good job!

Ran the 10 Miler this morning.  Rained on us but not badly and rain stopped about halfway through.  Much better than last year.
    PR'd by 3 mins but wanted to PR by 7 to hit my goal.
    Next year, dammit
    Legs hurt a bit.  10 miles is not a big deal, distance wise, at this point, but going as fast as I could the whole 10 miles for sure put my legs through it.
    Feels great to go hard for over an hour, with no slacking, not a second of walking, no piss break, or anything like that.  A PR is always a good day buy I reflected on the way home how much my heart and body (aside from my poor knees!) are loving that I can do this at 50 yrs young.

Beano, how did your second marathon in a row go???
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,034
    Great job everyone. You all are an inspiration. I have been having some knee pain as well in my right knee. It doesn’t really hurt while running, but after. I ran yesterday and it’s a little sore now. Today is a rest day so hopefully that will help. 
  • Options
    Ice it up.  I've got the robo pack on my knee right now.  It is contrast setting....so freezes the knee for a few minutes, then burns it for a few, back and forth.
    Helps with the pain 
    Hope you feel better!
  • Options
    So my 2nd marathon in 2 weekends and I feel really proud of that run, 3:37.... Slower than last week but I had to do some digging and I feel super happy and ready for a big fucking burger 🤤
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    So my 2nd marathon in 2 weekends and I feel really proud of that run, 3:37.... Slower than last week but I had to do some digging and I feel super happy and ready for a big fucking burger 🤤
    That is so awesome!! Btw if you are going to the London show I would love to say hi. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    That is so awesome!! Btw if you are going to the London show I would love to say hi. 
    I am! I'm going with a group of friends so I'm unsure of exact plans at the moment (not a very organised group 😂) but I'm sure something can be worked out closer to the time!
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    I am! I'm going with a group of friends so I'm unsure of exact plans at the moment (not a very organised group 😂) but I'm sure something can be worked out closer to the time!
    Awesome. I will also be in London starting the morning of June 25. So if before the show works better for you, let me know. 
  • Options

Dirty Harry jogs
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Awesome, man.  That is badass!!
  • Options
    Busch896Busch896 Delaware Posts: 41
    It's still very early but i'm enjoying marathon prep. Trying to switch over to running before work. Banged out a 5k this morning and felt great. Going to start experimenting with different gels to see what I like best. Anyone have any that they recommend? Official 6-month training schedule starts Tuesday.
    Philly 4-29-2016 ● NYC 9-11-2022 ● Camden 9-14-2022 ● Ft Worth 9-15-2023 ● Austin 9-18-2023 
  • Options
    My first and perhaps only Half Marathon on saturday. 55000 people. Gonna be very warm. Yikes yikes
  • Options
    Busch, great job!
    I tried a bunch and found that Muir and Cliff (gel,not Blocks, which caused me all sorts of issues) were what my body takes best.
    Need to work in what you want to try and see what works, what doesn't, what makesyou soar,crash, and what makes you need to shit like a wildcat.  :lol:    

For any hard runs over am hour I usually bring a gel and carry a water (LMNT).  Take a small hit if the water every mile,and at 45 mins take a gel.
    If I have a long run (say, 12+ miles) I will eat a caffeine gel at 50-60 mins and then a regular gel 30 mins later
     For 15-20-beyond, keep going with another gel every 30.  May alternate in some caffeine ones depending on how I feel, what the temp is, etc.

That was what I found to keep me going without cramping or needing to crap.
    It's all trial and error for each person.

Every person here will likely offer a different deal that works for them

• Options
    Also, I like the Clif consistency and was fading on Muir, which is what I used for years
    Clif is very light, Muir is much thicker
    Depends what you like.

My first and perhaps only Half Marathon on saturday. 55000 people. Gonna be very warm. Yikes yikes
    I think you are going to love it.  You've worked your way up to this.  Hardest part about that large a race is dodging people.  Not that I've run with 55k....40k is the largest and that is fun and also challenging to weave around slower folks.
    Just go out easy.  Don't really kick it until 10 miles if you feel good.
    If you feel badly, just remember that your body trained for it and you will feel amazing when done.  (Or,a few days later....)

Are you carrying water or some liqui?  I'd recommend if not.  My first half I cramped like crazy around 9 or 10.  It was very hot and we had some hills...and I was running harder than I'd trained.  I didn't carry water and ever since, I have.

Excited to hear how you enjoy it.

Did intervals this morning.  Enjoyed/hated at the same time.  :lol:  
  • Options
    Busch896Busch896 Delaware Posts: 41
    Busch, great job!
    I tried a bunch and found that Muir and Cliff (gel,not Blocks, which caused me all sorts of issues) were what my body takes best.
    Need to work in what you want to try and see what works, what doesn't, what makesyou soar,crash, and what makes you need to shit like a wildcat.  :lol:    

For any hard runs over am hour I usually bring a gel and carry a water (LMNT).  Take a small hit if the water every mile,and at 45 mins take a gel.
    If I have a long run (say, 12+ miles) I will eat a caffeine gel at 50-60 mins and then a regular gel 30 mins later
     For 15-20-beyond, keep going with another gel every 30.  May alternate in some caffeine ones depending on how I feel, what the temp is, etc.

Great suggestions, thanks. Have only tried the GU gels so far and they seem to be fine. I'm gonna mix it up as training continues to find what works best. How do you carry water? Just in your hand? Fanny pack? I like to keep my hands free while running. 
    Philly 4-29-2016 ● NYC 9-11-2022 ● Camden 9-14-2022 ● Ft Worth 9-15-2023 ● Austin 9-18-2023 
  • Options
    Good luck everyone with the trainings and marathons. We have such an amazing group here. Sunday I came  down with really bad food poisoning. So I couldn’t run Monday or yesterday. I felt better last night and thought I would run this morning but still feel really weak and dehydrated. So I am giving it another day. I hate when I get derailed like this, but I just don’t have it in me today. Oh well. I will try again tomorrow. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,733
    edited May 17
    Feel better glowie!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    Busch896 said:
    Busch, great job!

Great suggestions, thanks. Have only tried the GU gels so far and they seem to be fine. I'm gonna mix it up as training continues to find what works best. How do you carry water? Just in your hand? Fanny pack? I like to keep my hands free while running. 
    Me too.  I have a hand bottle (camelbak one) but the long runs get a hydration vest, which can carry two bottles plus all sorts of stuff.