Options

Dark Matter Album Review by us, the Fans

NJdPJNJdPJ Posts: 40
I have spent some time with the album this past weekend and felt inspired to write my own review.  I saw another thread with the different 'official' published reviews, but though I would start a fan review thread. Here it goes..

I first want to start by saying that this is not ‘quintessential’ Pearl Jam to me.  Anything 2006 (Avocado) and before is in its own class to me that cannot and will not be touched by the band again.  My review here is taking DM for what it’s worth in regards to the older, transitional era of Pearl Jam (Backspacer -> DM).    

I am going to start with the ‘bad’ before I get into what I really like about this album.  First off, I am not a fan of the production on this album.  It’s way too compressed and glossy.  The drums do not sound good at all to me throughout.  I get the new wave production these days tend to lean towards a clean, crisp, polished sounding output- but this band absolutely shines when it’s completely not entirely of that direction.  Another gripe of mine is the fast, punk style stuff PJ has really leaned on since 2009 (i.e. Supersonic, The Fixer, Lightning Bolt, Who Ever Said, Superblood Wolf Moon, Mind your Manners, Never Destination, Ole, etc.)- this to me isn’t the strength of this band musically.  Don’t get me wrong, the DNA for these songs is there and some of my favorites (i.e Spin the Black Circle, Go, Blood, DTE, etc.) but for whatever reason these post-2006 fast, punk style songs don’t pack the same punch as those prior.  I get some of the same feel of exactly this in to two opening tracks, Scared of Fear and React/Respond (and also later on w/ Running).  There are not bad songs in my opinion (better than the opening two on Gigaton and probably comparable to the opening two tracks on both BS and LB), but again- these are fast, in your face and almost robotic in nature in a way.  I get that they as a band likes these kind of songs now (which is odd as they approach 60 y/o), but I really miss the (dare I say) ‘grunge’ builds from this band.  Where are the ‘Wash’, ‘Footsteps’, ‘Given to Fly’s’, ‘Nothing as It Seems’ type material.  I miss the mystery of this band where they would bring us along and build up a song that would just hook us in the moment we first heard it.  I think we know now what were going to get from them (formula has now been there for some time) in this new era and that’s this sort of ‘Dad Rock’ type of songs along with some slower stuff.  Lastly, I would say the one outlier on this album to me is ‘Something Special’.  I think Ed should have kept this for a solo project (a la Sleeping by Myself). The message is great and appreciate Ed paying ode to his daughters, but it just doesn’t fit on here to me.   

With all that said, there is some very good stuff on DM! The title track is a solid first single out of the gate!  The breakdown of “It’s strange..these days..when everyone else pays..for someone else’s mistake” is pretty powerful by the band collectively in that moment.  I enjoy it!  They slow it down with the third track on the album with ‘Wreckage’ which is a middle tier slower song for them.  It’s very ‘Tom Petty crossed with Bruce Springsteen’.  The highlight of this album for me so far is the trio of ‘Upper Hand’ , ‘Waiting for Stevie’ and the album closer ‘Setting Sun’.  I can say these 3 songs are some of their best work since 2006!  Upper Hand is that ‘Binaural’ build I was talking about above I have been missing from this band.  What an excellent song and it grabbed me at first listen.  “Waiting for Stevie’ is being called an ode to the early days, and while I can hear hints of that in it, it’s also the new era PJ I was hoping they would go directionally.  Another song that pulled me in immediately!  And lastly, the album closer ‘Setting Sun’- what a way to close DM!  This one is going to be a treat live (maybe an Opener!?).    

I need some more time with this album, but for me it certainly has some highlights outlined above that just overtake anything they have done on Gigaton and LB for me (maybe even BS).  It’s certainly a big step in the right direction for this band, who seem to be really excited and energized these days!  These guys still seem to have a fire under them to create art and deliver it to their fans!  We are lucky to still have them making new music and doing live shows!  We have to soak it all up while we can, because it isn’t going to last too much longer.  Looking forward to how these play out live . HAIL HAIL the lucky ones!

Comments

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    I dont really feel the same about it, but good review. It's interesting because I feel like your review could've been me reviewing pretty much any album they've released post Riot Act....with the exception of this one. 

I hated this album when I first heard it. I think much of the negative reaction I had to it was directly related to a lot of the poppy/polished production qualities you're speaking of. It's unlike anything Pearl Jam has ever done before, and typically isn't a quality of music that I listen to. After repeated listens however, I not only think it works, but it pushes the album to another level.

I've written my evolving thoughts and ratings of this album here and there on the boards since it has been released, but I also feel compelled to write down my own thoughts on it, call it a review, whenever I have the proper time and words to express the feels this album has been giving me.

For now, I'll just make a very bold statement and say that I now agree with Eddie when he said that he thinks it's the best album Pearl Jam has ever made. I think it is.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    It is the best album by a group of 60 year olds I have ever heard. 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Thanks @Lifted ! and I can't argue with you there @PJammer4life
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    I think I can safely say (even with it being so recent), that its my favorite PJ album aside from Yield, Vitalogy and Ten.  It may surpass those, it may fall off.  But that is where it is right now.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    Thank you for this. I believe there are already a few threads like this.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Sounds like you're really diggin' it @Vedd Hedd ..that awesome and I am certainly going to keep spinning it!  And sorry about duplicating a another thread on this topic @bicyclejoe
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 231
    edited April 23
    After first couple of listens, I placed Dark Matter within the first 5 album tier.  This is a strong tier of course, and I absolutely love each and everyone of these classics, with VS being my favorite, and then a tie between Ten, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield.

But after repeated listens, I can confidently (and happily) say, that Dark Matter has slid right in next to VS.  I really really love Dark Matter.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    edited April 23
    DM is growing on me for sure, but I think it will be ultimately meh for me.

Love - Scared Of Fear, Dark Matter, Waiting For Stevie, Setting Sun
    Like - Wreckage, Got To Give 
    Meh - React, Respond, Won't Tell, Upper Hand, Running
    Loathe - Something Special

- Something Special makes The Haves look like Stairway To Heaven. He gets a pass b/c it's about his daughters, but ugh.

- Scared Of Fear and Running sounded GREAT on Stern, IMO. I think the album as a whole will translate better live.
    Post edited by We All Believe on
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    MikeDigs said:
    After first couple of listens, I placed Dark Matter within the first 5 album tier.  This is a strong tier of course, and I absolutely love each and everyone of these classics, with VS being my favorite, and then a tie between Ten, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield.

But after repeated listens, I can confidently (and happily) say, that Dark Matter has slid right in next to VS.  I really really love Dark Matter.
    I can relate to this. I put VS quite a bit above Dark Matter though but I’m enjoying Dark Matter more than most other pj releases. 

Really liking the production.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    jdasilvafjdasilvaf Posts: 189
    edited April 23
    I finally listened to the whole album today and it really does sound a lot like Gigaton but not.... It doesn't do a whole lot for me, they've been a bit all over the place since Avocado imho. I think the last record of theirs that I can listen to from start to end is Riot Act (without getting bored or skipping tracks). The others just don't feel coherent nor... very good. I would have liked to see them age into a more NY and Crazy Horse type outfit (which I think they do pull off live), but the songwriting and styles are just too inconsistent. From not very good punk, to dad rock, to epic U2-style pop, and some stuff that sounds like the theme to a sitcom (see 'Something Special'). Nonetheless, I will always stand by them as an amazing live act.
    Post edited by jdasilvaf on
  • Options
    Great takes @MikeDigs; @We all believe @Niko80 @jdasiilvaf.  Enjoy the different breakdowns, context and overall current 'feeling in the moment' presented here. 
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 26
    I think I would put Dark Matter as their third best album, just behind Yield and Vs. What a surprise and what an achievement. 
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    NJdPJ said:
    Great takes @MikeDigs; @We all believe @Niko80 @jdasiilvaf.  Enjoy the different breakdowns, context and overall current 'feeling in the moment' presented here. 
    We’ll see, and you might be right. 
    I generally fancy this production over for example No Code. Present Tense is one of my favorite pj songs, but I have never gotten into the studio version of that song. It gets too “artsy” for me, and the song comes alive when I hear it live. Dark Matter has this live approach that sits very well with me. 

I think the songs on No Code might be overall better songs. But I prefer the presentation on Dark Matter, which makes me prefer that album over No Code. 

We’ll see how the digestion continues. If it is “the feeling in the moment” as you suggest, then so be it. I will be enjoying it either way :) 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289
    edited April 23
    NJdPJ said:
    I have spent some time with the album this past weekend and felt inspired to write my own review.  I saw another thread with the different 'official' published reviews, but though I would start a fan review thread. Here it goes..

I first want to start by saying that this is not ‘quintessential’ Pearl Jam to me.  Anything 2006 (Avocado) and before is in its own class to me that cannot and will not be touched by the band again.  My review here is taking DM for what it’s worth in regards to the older, transitional era of Pearl Jam (Backspacer -> DM).    

I am going to start with the ‘bad’ before I get into what I really like about this album.  First off, I am not a fan of the production on this album.  It’s way too compressed and glossy.  The drums do not sound good at all to me throughout.  I get the new wave production these days tend to lean towards a clean, crisp, polished sounding output- but this band absolutely shines when it’s completely not entirely of that direction.  Another gripe of mine is the fast, punk style stuff PJ has really leaned on since 2009 (i.e. Supersonic, The Fixer, Lightning Bolt, Who Ever Said, Superblood Wolf Moon, Mind your Manners, Never Destination, Ole, etc.)- this to me isn’t the strength of this band musically.  Don’t get me wrong, the DNA for these songs is there and some of my favorites (i.e Spin the Black Circle, Go, Blood, DTE, etc.) but for whatever reason these post-2006 fast, punk style songs don’t pack the same punch as those prior.  I get some of the same feel of exactly this in to two opening tracks, Scared of Fear and React/Respond (and also later on w/ Running).  There are not bad songs in my opinion (better than the opening two on Gigaton and probably comparable to the opening two tracks on both BS and LB), but again- these are fast, in your face and almost robotic in nature in a way.  I get that they as a band likes these kind of songs now (which is odd as they approach 60 y/o), but I really miss the (dare I say) ‘grunge’ builds from this band.  Where are the ‘Wash’, ‘Footsteps’, ‘Given to Fly’s’, ‘Nothing as It Seems’ type material.  I miss the mystery of this band where they would bring us along and build up a song that would just hook us in the moment we first heard it.  I think we know now what were going to get from them (formula has now been there for some time) in this new era and that’s this sort of ‘Dad Rock’ type of songs along with some slower stuff.  Lastly, I would say the one outlier on this album to me is ‘Something Special’.  I think Ed should have kept this for a solo project (a la Sleeping by Myself). The message is great and appreciate Ed paying ode to his daughters, but it just doesn’t fit on here to me.   

With all that said, there is some very good stuff on DM! The title track is a solid first single out of the gate!  The breakdown of “It’s strange..these days..when everyone else pays..for someone else’s mistake” is pretty powerful by the band collectively in that moment.  I enjoy it!  They slow it down with the third track on the album with ‘Wreckage’ which is a middle tier slower song for them.  It’s very ‘Tom Petty crossed with Bruce Springsteen’.  The highlight of this album for me so far is the trio of ‘Upper Hand’ , ‘Waiting for Stevie’ and the album closer ‘Setting Sun’.  I can say these 3 songs are some of their best work since 2006!  Upper Hand is that ‘Binaural’ build I was talking about above I have been missing from this band.  What an excellent song and it grabbed me at first listen.  “Waiting for Stevie’ is being called an ode to the early days, and while I can hear hints of that in it, it’s also the new era PJ I was hoping they would go directionally.  Another song that pulled me in immediately!  And lastly, the album closer ‘Setting Sun’- what a way to close DM!  This one is going to be a treat live (maybe an Opener!?).    

I need some more time with this album, but for me it certainly has some highlights outlined above that just overtake anything they have done on Gigaton and LB for me (maybe even BS).  It’s certainly a big step in the right direction for this band, who seem to be really excited and energized these days!  These guys still seem to have a fire under them to create art and deliver it to their fans!  We are lucky to still have them making new music and doing live shows!  We have to soak it all up while we can, because it isn’t going to last too much longer.  Looking forward to how these play out live . HAIL HAIL the lucky ones!

Awesome, level headead, fair review from a true fan.  This is the first review that i kind of relate to.  I got suckered in to all the early fan reviews as this being an all-time classic.  When the truth is, it's a VERY solid album with some VERY good tracks.  But, if anyone says its up there with the first 5, they are kidding themselves.  However, it is fair to debate it being their best post 2000 album.
    Post edited by mr bungle on
  • Options
    Thanks @mrbungle.  And @Niko80 after listening to Scared of Fear and Running from the Stern Show this morning, I can say they both sounded great live! I am now even more amped for how this album is going to play out live
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    I’m in the best since Yield camp I rarely ever listen to anything post Yield or pre! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    I’m in the best since Yield camp I rarely ever listen to anything post Yield or pre! 
    I guess Yield is the only album you listen to then. Haha! Good man! 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
    It is the best album by a group of 60 year olds I have ever heard. 
    YES.
  • Options
    edited April 24
    **Scared of Fear has just moved up the ranks big time for me, especially after listening to the Stern broadcast of this song multiple times now.  I now put this with Upper Hand, WFS, Dark Matter and Setting Sun as mentioned in my initial review above **
    Post edited by NJdPJ on
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,764
    Listened to it for the first time today. Overall good and a step up musically. The notion that the songs were built together as a group comes across really well. That's preferred in my book over just polishing up one person's demo.

Only critique is the same thing that's plagued albums since their self titled album which is too much lyrics.

Especially on side 2. A lot of textures and riffs on the back half of the album get lost competing with the vocals when they can hold on their own right.

Eddie has the paid-by-the-word songwriting down pat. I just wish on some songs he could retread back into the quieter, Neil Young emulating he did in the late 90's.

Let the music air out, speak for itself and have the vocals compliment it rather than be the core of the song.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 81
    I agree with the comments that this album doesn’t compare to the earlier records (which for me is Ten through Yield). If they tried to make an album that sounded like those at this stage of their career, it would be terrible…these are guys that are closing in on their 60s (and already there in Jeff’s case). On top of that WE are all different, too. We have had 20 - 30 years with some of this music. To paraphrase something Jeff Tweedy said in his most recent book — the songs haven’t changed, but how we interact with them has. When I first heard No Code, I thought it was the beginning of the end of the band, but now it is one of my favorite albums of all time. That took years, and even then, a concert in Moline in 2014 is what took that album to the next level for me. So after a week with Dark Matter — I can say what I feel right now, but I can’t know where I will be with it come August when I’m hearing some of these songs live for the first time.

But after roughly a week and listening to this album 20ish times, I think it holds together as a full album —- much more so than the previous two. Each of those have points in the album where I would remove a song or reorder the tracks. Or in the case of Gigaton, just trim it down to less than 5 minutes (extended jams are fine, but there is nothing wrong with a well crafted 3 1/2 minute song, either).

Scared of Fear - Solid opener that continues to grow on me. Reminds me a little of Getaway, but I like it better. Sounded great on Stern, and now I cannot wait to hear it at Wrigley

React, Respond - I always think that a good album MUST have a great 2nd track. Not sure this is great, but I do like it. The chorus reminds me of PiL or Split Enz. I do not care for the production flourishes towards the end

Wreckage - Did not like this as a single, but I really like it in the context of the album. Another one that I am liking the more I listen to the album.

Dark Matter - My least favorite of the 3 singles at this point. Musically, it is good, and I am sure I will enjoy it live. Matt’s drumming is unreal on every track, but really makes this song. But I keep feeling like this is Mind Your Manner, Can’t Deny Me, et al rehashed for a new record. 

Won’t Tell - My first thought was that this was a rehash of Infallible, but with a little more guitar and less keyboards. It has grown on me steadily where I like it as the closer for side 1, but not sure it is one that I really love outside of the album.

Upper Hand - Another song that initially reminded me of a Lightning Bolt track (pendulum). This will be used to open shows - I am sure of it. Of all the tracks, this is the one that has grown on my the most — it is becoming one of my favorites on the album.

Waiting for Stevie - This is definitely my favorite track on the album. It is different, but sounds like it could have appeared on one of the early 2000s albums. If I don’t hear this one at one of the Wrigley shows I will be heartbroken.

Running - Seems like opinions are split on this one. Yes, it is a rehash of other “punk” songs they have made, but I still really like it.

Something Special - Ok, no way around the fact that this is a pretty cheesy song. I do think it works in context, but I really cannot see myself listening to this track if I am not listening to the full album. But, I also have a teenaged daughter, so this also kinda makes sense to me.

Got to Give - Yet another that is growing on me. Not bad, a little nondescript

Setting Sun - At first I thought it was just another mellow acoustic album closer, but I like the way it builds to the Beatles-esque outro (reminds me a little of All Those Yesterdays). It usually makes me want to flip that album over and listen again.

Final thought…. Matt Cameron is the hero of this album. His drumming is so good that it rises above the slick production. I think this is the most cohesive album they have made in quite a while. This is the album that both Lightning Bolt and Gigaton could have been with a little self editing and/or a producer that was not afraid to challenge the band a little.

• Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,836
    Love the small credit lower right hand corner for Sean Penn on Scared of Fear.  Based off the pic on the left hand side of the Dark Matter booklet. 
  • Options
    FE55353FE55353 Greenville, SC Posts: 64
    After listening to this album a few times while driving Uber, I decided to listen to all of the albums in order. My aging memory believed that the band changed sound profile with Riot Act. Going back made me realize that Ten and Vs are actually the outliers. They have always recorded punk and hard rocker songs, but the overall sound of their albums has gradually become more polished and less agressive, just like me LOL.

I agree with a comment prior that the lyrics get in the way sometimes, so my review can be summarized this way.

My least favorite album is Lightning Bolt, my favorite album is Ten with Avocado a close second. Dark Matter is middle of the pack I guess. The usual split of songs I like to songs I skip is 70-30. Dark Matter is closer to 60-40. It is a solid creative effort from a band that has held a place in my heart and mind for 30+ years. Kudos to them for recording and touring with a purpose into their 60's. They are the only band from my far past I would see live or listen to new music from.  
    "If you are listening to this bootleg in Alaska, open the front door." Eddie Vedder 10/8/00

Alpine Valley: 6/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/3/11 Target Center: 6/30/98
    Summerfest: 6/30/06 Music Midtown: 9/22/12 Wrigley Field: 7/19 & 7/20/13, 8/20/16
    Charlotte: 10/30/13
    Greenville: 4/16/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Wrigley Field: 8/20/2016
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,639
    NJdPJ said:
    a fan review thread. Here it goes..
    Shits Corderoy Pants