Options

Thank you Pearl Jam, Andrew Watt, and Josh Klinghoffer!

VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
edited April 19 in The Porch
I am on my 3rd official listen of Dark Matter and I know this one is going to be an all time classic, and am comfortable saying that it's their best since Yield.  I think a major X factor here was that a couple of PJ super fans had a seat at the table for crafting this album and providing direction.  Seriously cheers to Josh Klinghoffer and especially Andrew Watt!  Big props to Eddie for seeing the potential in this young man, for connecting with him, and bringing him into the fold.  Both of these guys, really.  What welcome additions!  Cheers to our favorite band, we're so lucky to have these guys providing the soundtrack to our lives, and to do it at this level after all of these years is amazing.  You guys really did it with this one.  I love all of your work, but this one really is "Something Special" ;)  I really haven't felt this strongly about anything I've listened to in literally decades, and have gotten emotional a number of times, which is such a rarity for me in listening to new music anymore.  They hype is real.  Dark Matter is just solid through and through, so well crafted with so much thought paid to melody, harmony, structure, and a full tribute to their greatest influences.  To the band, if you're reading, you really all just brought it individually and as a collective unit.  Be proud!  We are proud of you, and thank you, thank you, thank you for all of it!  See you at MSG 2, no complaints here if you played this whole record top to bottom!  But hey, do what you want, you always have and it has always paid off!  Over the moon right now =) 

Comments

• Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    Loving it. Thank you Pearl Jam. Thank you for all of it. From 1991 to today. 
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Cheers cheers 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,170
    Congratulations to the band wasn't sure they still had this in them so glad they did
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    I fucking love it.  All of it. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 90
    Genuinely find it hard to comprehend a band is this good 30 years later.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    Love to all! Mike McCready and Matt Cameron are absolute superstars on this album (not anything new of course).

27 days to Vegas 1!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Greyhound06Greyhound06 Posts: 24
    After vs and Vitalogy I lost my connection to the band, because I was musically on a complete other path. The Into the Wild soundtrack brought me back to love the voice of Eddie. But it took another 3 years when I started to listen again to PJ.  

And over the last 14 years my love grew again, but I was always missing something on the records that were released since then. 

Until now. Listening to songs like Waiting for Stevie is like being 19 again. So many feelings, so many emotions. When I first heard Scared of Fear I was screaming and dancing around. Never happened with the last releases.

I love so much about the new album, and I can't wait for the 2 Berlin shows, where we hopefully a lot of songs from Dark Matter.

Thanks for everything you've given me over the years.
  • Options
    bnewman19bnewman19 Posts: 74
    I am on my 3rd official listen of Dark Matter and I know this one is going to be an all time classic, and am comfortable saying that it's their best since Yield.  I think a major X factor here was that a couple of PJ super fans had a seat at the table for crafting this album and providing direction.  Seriously cheers to Josh Klinghoffer and especially Andrew Watt!  Big props to Eddie for seeing the potential in this young man, for connecting with him, and bringing him into the fold.  Both of these guys, really.  What welcome additions!  Cheers to our favorite band, we're so lucky to have these guys providing the soundtrack to our lives, and to do it at this level after all of these years is amazing.  You guys really did it with this one.  I love all of your work, but this one really is "Something Special" ;)  I really haven't felt this strongly about anything I've listened to in literally decades, and have gotten emotional a number of times, which is such a rarity for me in listening to new music anymore.  They hype is real.  Dark Matter is just solid through and through, so well crafted with so much thought paid to melody, harmony, structure, and a full tribute to their greatest influences.  To the band, if you're reading, you really all just brought it individually and as a collective unit.  Be proud!  We are proud of you, and thank you, thank you, thank you for all of it!  See you at MSG 2, no complaints here if you played this whole record top to bottom!  But hey, do what you want, you always have and it has always paid off!  Over the moon right now =) 

Well said. DM is a really strong album well done to PJ and all those involved in its creation. 
  • Options
    edited April 19
    After vs and Vitalogy I lost my connection to the band, because I was musically on a complete other path. The Into the Wild soundtrack brought me back to love the voice of Eddie. But it took another 3 years when I started to listen again to PJ.  

And over the last 14 years my love grew again, but I was always missing something on the records that were released since then. 

Until now. Listening to songs like Waiting for Stevie is like being 19 again. So many feelings, so many emotions. When I first heard Scared of Fear I was screaming and dancing around. Never happened with the last releases.

I love so much about the new album, and I can't wait for the 2 Berlin shows, where we hopefully a lot of songs from Dark Matter.

Thanks for everything you've given me over the years.
    I think you hit it with what makes Waiting for Stevie so special... it just takes me back, to my younger self in ways.  Can't believe how emotional that song in particular gets me-- and usually when a song is as hyped as this one is, it's hard to live up to it.  Not this one.  It's so good.  
    Post edited by VINNY GOOMBA on
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 313
    Every time. first listen, I'm like, meh (some good, some ok). Every subsequent listen it just builds and builds. 
  • Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 26
    Totally agree. Best album since Yield after hearing the album a couple of times. Bravo to everyone involved. Great work. I will open a fine bottle of Barolo this evening and celebrate this unique band.
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    This record exceeded all expectations... by a long shot! 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    wiscojam said:
    Every time. first listen, I'm like, meh (some good, some ok). Every subsequent listen it just builds and builds. 
    I will say, my first listen to every clip was pretty middle of the road.  Was hoping to be blown away.  My affinity did grow quickly with each listen though, and the album as a whole plays very very well.  But really, in the course of my life, only a couple of dozen songs and a handful of albums have had that actual effect on me, and it's been probably 20 years since an album did that for me - Tool Lateralus.  PJ's got it tough in this category because they had more of these types of songs and albums than anyone else for me.  And part of that is due to that it was my first real exposure to music that wasn't my parents, and wasn't super pop radio friendly stuff that was being played all around me.  1995, my friend Kevin gave me a mix tape of the best of Pearl Jam and Nirvana.  It changed my world.  Here I am 30 years later, a big a fan as ever, my life centers around music, and I have my buddy and this band to thank.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,974
    Love to all! Mike McCready and Matt Cameron are absolute superstars on this album (not anything new of course).

Definitely agree. The best Matt has sounded on a PJ record, he's been unleashed at long last!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    You know, there has been so much hype, I was starting to be afraid of a letdown.  That has NOT been the case.  I can't get over how great it is, and how quickly all of the songs have grown on me to the point of loving them.  It's every part of every song.  To me, every PJ song has a highlight, even in the rare case I don't like the song overall.  Each one of the parts of each one of these songs jockeys for position of being the best part of the song.  There's no laboring through a song to get to the "good part".  They're all good parts.  Amazing.
  • Options
    You know, there has been so much hype, I was starting to be afraid of a letdown.  That has NOT been the case.  I can't get over how great it is, and how quickly all of the songs have grown on me to the point of loving them.  It's every part of every song.  To me, every PJ song has a highlight, even in the rare case I don't like the song overall.  Each one of the parts of each one of these songs jockeys for position of being the best part of the song.  There's no laboring through a song to get to the "good part".  They're all good parts.  Amazing.
    Well put, Vinny
  • Options
    wiscojam said:
    Well put, Vinny
    Thank you!  So happy so many people are enjoying this.  In ear headphones listening have been superior to my Jeep, which has great sound.

I am going out on a limb here and I think they're going to get a Grammy for this.  Probably not album of the year, but best Rock album.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    wiscojam said:
    Well put, Vinny
    Thank you!  So happy so many people are enjoying this.  In ear headphones listening have been superior to my Jeep, which has great sound.

I am going out on a limb here and I think they're going to get a Grammy for this.  Probably not album of the year, but best Rock album.
    Looking forward to Stone misplacing it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    wiscojam said:
    Well put, Vinny

Looking forward to Stone misplacing it.
    HA!  that's awesome...  I wouldn't have gotten that except for I just made my wife watch PJ20 about a month ago.  Such a great documentary!
  • Options
    No_WayNo_Way Posts: 19
    I just teared up during my second listen. I have not been moved like this by music in a long time. Thank you!
  • Options
    bnewman19 said:

Well said. DM is a really strong album well done to PJ and all those involved in its creation. 
    Amen!  That Rolling Stone Article that described out Andrew came into being with PJ is really something.  There were a lot of really great coincidences that came together that made this all come to fruition.  Really cool how life works like that sometimes.
  • Options
    wiscojam said:
    Well put, Vinny

they should. unfortunately in today's music "industry", this isn't even the best album released Today. Taking nothing from TS.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 231
    Cheers to everyone that worked on putting this fine art together.  Magic was really captured by the way the album was recorded, and it's a very strong collection of songs that fit so nicely together.  There's a clear vibe that flows throughout each song, and it's cool how it all ties together.  As a band, instrumentally I already have high expectations for Pearl Jam, but yet somehow, here my expectations exceeded.  Bravo to all, well done!
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,003
    wiscojam said:
    wiscojam said:
    Well put, Vinny

they should. unfortunately in today's music "industry", this isn't even the best album released Today. Taking nothing from TS.
    If Beck can win album of the year, you never know. Morning Phase was phenomenal though so it was well deserved. 
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:
    Cheers to everyone that worked on putting this fine art together.  Magic was really captured by the way the album was recorded, and it's a very strong collection of songs that fit so nicely together.  There's a clear vibe that flows throughout each song, and it's cool how it all ties together.  As a band, instrumentally I already have high expectations for Pearl Jam, but yet somehow, here my expectations exceeded.  Bravo to all, well done!
    Well said!  It's pretty amazing that a good chunk of this was made while Ed was already putting out a ton of creative output with Earthling.  The fact that there was so much more in reserve for a Pearl Jam album is pretty awesome.  And that the other guys basically dropped everything, showed up, didn't bring their instruments or their pedals-- full faith that everything they would need to get this under way would be there waiting for them.  They clearly have a lot of faith in Eddie.  He delivered, Andrew delivered, they all delivered.  These songs are going to kick so much ass live too.