Options

Soldier Field to Wrigley Field. Pearl Jam and Messi.

My son is a huge soccer fan and was just gifted tickets to see the Chicago Fire play Inter Miami on 8/31. I also have tickets to Wrigley Night 2. This is a problem, but a great problem to have. Very fortunate. 

Game starts at 7:30. What would be the fastest way to get from Soldier Field to Wrigley? How long are we thinking it would take? Is it possible? Hopefully Messi gets subbed out early. Hopefully the opener plays a really long set. 

Comments

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,242
    JB171380 said:
    My son is a huge soccer fan and was just gifted tickets to see the Chicago Fire play Inter Miami on 8/31. I also have tickets to Wrigley Night 2. This is a problem, but a great problem to have. Very fortunate. 

Game starts at 7:30. What would be the fastest way to get from Soldier Field to Wrigley? How long are we thinking it would take? Is it possible? Hopefully Messi gets subbed out early. Hopefully the opener plays a really long set. 
    Game starts at 7:30?…..You’re going to have to decide which event you want to miss a good portion of unfortunately. Saturday night of Labor Day weekend will be prime traffic. Walking to the red line will take some time from soldier field, it will drop you right at wrigley but if you stay for the whole match, not shot you make it to wrigley by 10:00.
  • Options
    That's not going to be an easy one, as the poster said above. Labor Day weekend, major events going on throughout the city; traffic will be insane.

Red line will get you right to Wrigley but it is a 15-20 min walk outside of Soldier Field to get to the stop.  Then depending on the schedule another 20-30 on the train.  Lake Shore Dr. will be locked up, so even a real good cab driver is going to take some time to get up to Wrigley. Can't imagine even bobbing and weaving through the city it would be any quicker. I think it would be a good 45min of sitting in traffic.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    That's not going to be an easy one, as the poster said above. Labor Day weekend, major events going on throughout the city; traffic will be insane.

Red line will get you right to Wrigley but it is a 15-20 min walk outside of Soldier Field to get to the stop.  Then depending on the schedule another 20-30 on the train.  Lake Shore Dr. will be locked up, so even a real good cab driver is going to take some time to get up to Wrigley. Can't imagine even bobbing and weaving through the city it would be any quicker. I think it would be a good 45min of sitting in traffic.

Will traffic be bad early to mid-afternoon?  Was thinking of Uber to Wrigley.   If not might have to jump on the train.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Will traffic be bad early to mid-afternoon?  Was thinking of Uber to Wrigley.   If not might have to jump on the train.
    Yes. A summer Saturday in Chicago is traffic hell. Pedestrian as well as automobile.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    Soldier Field to Wrigley is a tall order on days when neither is hosting an event, and it's not a Saturday night, and not a holiday weekend. 

Like, if you LEAVE Soldier Field at 7:30, I doubt you would make it to the start of the PJ show at Wrigley.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    I just made the drive from soldier field to my house on lake shore drive. I live 15 blocks south of wrigley,……15 blocks closer to soldier field….there was hardly any traffic and it took me 29 minutes. 
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    I just made the drive from soldier field to my house on lake shore drive. I live 15 blocks south of wrigley,……15 blocks closer to soldier field….there was hardly any traffic and it took me 29 minutes. 
    Yeah, so this is a perfect example. Monday night, no traffic, no event at either building, not a Saturday, and not a holiday. And driving with their own car, 15 blocks closer, still took a half hour.  

Foot traffic alone from Soldier field to (train, parking, bus, etc) is going to take 20 minutes, with foot traffic from the L Stop/Parking at Wrigley/getting into the venue is another half hour. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,132
    That’s a bummer but if you decide to sell your PJ tix, let me know!
  • Options
    JB171380JB171380 Posts: 3
    edited April 16
    Appreciate all the information guys. I believe that I might be starting to accept that is not possible to do both and that I would most likely end up spending most of the night going between the two.

If I were to risk it though. Leave the game at halftime (8:30). Would my best bet be taxi or Red Line? I'm close to letting this dream die, but not quite yet.
  • Options
    JB171380 said:
    Appreciate all the information guys. I believe that I might be starting to accept that is not possible to do both and that I would most likely end up spending most of the night going between the two.

If I were to risk it though. Leave the game at halftime (8:30). Would my best bet be taxi or Red Line? I'm close to letting this dream die, but not quite yet.

I routinely work in the city and take the train in from the Burbs. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve jumped in a cab and had the driver get me to Union Station to catch a train after a happy hour or work dinner. The good ones will find a way to get you there. 

So my money would be on a taxi. That being said, there’s only so much they can do if it’s all locked up. And we are talking MILES between Soldier Field and Wrigley. You are still a long way from the L stop and then you’re at the mercy of the CTA schedule/delays. 

Wish I had the perfect answer for you but the timing of it all is not in your favor. 
  • Options
    pjrusspjruss Posts: 456
    Relatively late in the season, not long after Messi plays for Argentina in the Copa America and the Olympics.

It’s 50/50 at best that he even plays that game. 

Choose Pearl Jam