Options

Ted Leo v. The Kings of Leon

rileythegunnarileythegunna Posts: 21
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Talk about a difference...the kings went on early every night and played for nearly an hour.
Last night...Ted Leo...less than 20 minutes. They were cool, and leaving early is kindof punk rock..
but that being said...20 minutes.
Means close to an hour until Pearl Jam.
Learn your role boys. Even if you dont like the reaction, suck it up and play a freaking set.

Hell, Mike Patton and Peeping Tom opened for the Who last tour, got their asses booed off and still played a full opening set.

Weak man weak. Bring back the kings, or the buzzcocks or hell get the World of Mutts that used to open for the Beasties.

anyone else have thoughts on this???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    that's cause the kings of leon kick fucking ass. which would be why they are in my top five.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    Kings of Leon were great

Ted Leo really fucking sucks.

Just my opinion.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i don't care for the KoL studio work, but live, they fucking owned it live.

ted leo, fucking blows... all the indie fucks drool over him. i think he sounds like ear cancer
  • Options
    CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    I was impressed with KOL.
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    there were 2 girls that came up to the 3 or 4 row and they screamed their heads off for Ted Leo,

"we never gave up, we never gave up" over and over.

I did not care for them- and 20 min set is lame, especially when you have the time.
  • Options
    JLukinJLukin Posts: 54
    Having already been a huge KOL fan before the shows my pick would obviously be KOL over Ted Leo everytime.

I gave Ted Leo & The Pharmacists an honest listen with an open mind but their music was just not interesting to me and his vocals are sub par live in my opinion. I could tell they were getting a little discouraged by the 2nd night in Camden when no one was really responding to them at all. But to only play a 20 minute set is pretty lame. I mean they are still getting paid to do a job and regardless of the crowd reaction they should play their full set.
    2000 8/3 8/9 8/10 8/12 8/18 8/20 8/21 9/5 10/7 10/8 10/9
    2002 12/8 12/9
    2003 4/11 4/21 4/25 4/26 6/24 7/2 7/3
    2004 9/28 9/29 10/1 10/2 10/3
    2005 9/28
    2006 5/19 5/20 5/22 5/27 5/28 6/23 6/24
    2007 8/5
    2008 6/11 6/12 6/19 6/20
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    Kings of Leon were great

Just my opinion.

Haha, agreed. No disrespect to Ted Leo fans; he seems talented. But man, Kings of Leon kick so much ass! :)
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    yea I was happy they left early, sound is horrible

in DC they were on way too long and loud
  • Options
    wow. are they gonna continue opening then/? 20 minutes isnt really even a set.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I knew I could only catch one show this tour and I picked Virginia Beach over any other show because I wanted to see Kings of Leon. They are fucking awesome- I saw Ted Leo last year at Lollapalooza and I was more entertained by the BBQ Pork sandwich I was eating at the time than what I was watching or listening to. He sucks. KOL should be the opener for every PJ show for the rest of time.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    that's cause the kings of leon kick fucking ass. which would be why they are in my top five.
    x2
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374

Hell, Mike Patton and Peeping Tom opened for the Who last tour, got their asses booed off and still played a full opening set.
    I went to one of the Who shows that Peeping Tom opened. They were absolutely terrible but I kinda felt bad for all the booing. The singer eventually said - "One more song, then The Who", as the audience cheered. Then he said "I knew something would make you happy, Boston..."
    But their music was truly painful
  • Options
    I liked Ted Leo. I missed them at MSG, but saw them at Camden. I thought they were good. 20 minutes is pretty lame though.
    When FASCISM Comes To America
    it will be wrapped in the FLAG and
    carrying a CROSS.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    20 minutes is perfect if Pearl Jam comes on a half hour later...but if you still have to wait an hour, he might as well play longer.

Fuck, I just realized that they'll probably bring Ted up during one of the encores in Mansfield because it's the end of the tour.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    Ted leo made me leave the floor. He was killing my ears. It was way too loud and whenever he screamed or went high it was almost blowing out the speakers. I tried, but I was not impressed.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    X3
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    i was shocked that ted leo played a 20-25 min set...
    unbelievable.

when i got to my seat at 5 min to 8 the first night at msg, i was shocked when my seat neighbors told me he had already played and finished.

the second night i saw/heard them for a song or two and it ended the same way... quickly.

what a difference from KOL.
    i LOVE them and i'm so glad they impressed some new listeners here.

glad i got to see them at west palm and tampa!!
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    So, I was there nice and early for MSG I, I was under the impression, as he stated, he was only given 30 minutes ... he didn't choose to leave, that's all he got.

I didn't get in the building in time at MSG II ... so, I don't know what happened.

As I suggested, the big arena probably isn't Ted Leo's best venue .... plus, if you're only given 20 minutes to play, I assume the MSG sound techs aren't really going to spend a ton of time making sure the equipment is set up for you ... it's all about PJ.

If you like Ted Leo (and I love him) ... I thought he was ok at MSG I ... sounded VERY tinny though ... played two new songs that make me excited for a new album.

PJ fans can be a fickle bunch ... I love so many of you guys, but, there are a lot of closed minds when it comes to PJ love and not "playing the field" when it comes to other music.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I love Ted Leo and the Rx, but I will admit that his sound for arenas isn't that great. I've seen them in small clubs and it works so much better.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    20 minutes is perfect if Pearl Jam comes on a half hour later...but if you still have to wait an hour, he might as well play longer.

Fuck, I just realized that they'll probably bring Ted up during one of the encores in Mansfield because it's the end of the tour.

He might not do it because he's so resentful of the PJ crowd. ;)
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Ted leo made me leave the floor. He was killing my ears. It was way too loud and whenever he screamed or went high it was almost blowing out the speakers. I tried, but I was not impressed.

Not to defend Ted Leo but most of the show opener aren´t mixed properly.
    Haven´t really seen an opening act that was mixed well. Maybe not all Ted Leo´s fault.
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    In DC they played for 45 minutes...I thought it was decent but the sound was not very good so hard to tell exactly how good (or bad) they are. I'd loved to have seen KOL, though
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Kings of Leon were great

Just my opinion.

qft

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    KOL fucking owns!
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    i've seen kings of leon three times (i think). the first time was back when they were touring for their first album and they were so-fucking-boring. i tried to like them but i just couldn't. some years pass and i saw them in columbia. first row. again. i tried to like them. but god damn they write horrible, horrible songs. i can respect them for trying to go a new direction on the new album. but how anyone could go ape shit for them is totally and completely beyond me. they are one of the few bands i HATE.

at least they finally cut their damn hair and dropped the whole gimmick BS.
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    velogator wrote:
    In DC they played for 45 minutes...I thought it was decent but the sound was not very good so hard to tell exactly how good (or bad) they are. I'd loved to have seen KOL, though

I love Ted Leo. From my shitty seats on the back of the floor though, I couldn't hear a thing. The sound in the Verizon Center was awful.
  • Options
    mt_wrxmt_wrx Posts: 33
    Ted Leo got boycotted in DC by my wife and I just because we REALLY REALLY wanted to see KOL open.

I'm still bitter about missing them as an opener.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    velogator wrote:

Ted Leo is from DC, so that might be why they were on longer. I know people around here that were excited they were opening for PJ. And as for MSG, they might have been off early since it looked like PJ was going to be playing for a long time. I did not think they were horrible, nor did I think they were special. I personally am not a fan of Kings of Leon, so I can't say they are worse that ted leo. I do think MMJ is way better than both of them though.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    Of all the opening bands I've ever seen at a Pearl Jam show, I'd have to say:

GREAT:
    1.) Sonic Youth
    2.) Kings of Leon
    3.) Sleater-Kinney

GOOD:
    4.) My Morning Jacket (to be fair, I didn't know any of their material at the time!)
    5.) Buzzcocks

OK:
    6.) Death Cab for Cutie

BORING:
    7.) Gob Roberts
    8.) Ted Leo
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville