Options

I took out the built in preamp on my turntable, and POW!

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
I've known about this issue since I got the table now 13 years ago. I finally set aside some time, took a shot of whiskey, got my tools and YouTube at the ready and removed it. The red/white/ground wires were fucking crazy thin. I ended up needing to use my wife's cuticle trimming tool because my wire strippers were fucking it up. Anyway, what an insane difference in sound! I had no idea how much mid and high range frequencies were getting squashed by that preamp. I understand that Audio Technica now makes a table without one in there. Good thing! *Photo below! 

www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    Nice job!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Nice job!
    Thanks! I figured since I was able to wire up the internet outlets in our house to functional, I could pull this off! Also, YouTube! Next up, a leaky fridge! LOL! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    BOOM!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Sports gif Jason Motte of the Colorado Rockies hand and glove collide as he excitedly shouts boom and looks up

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Uh also dudes, I totally fixed my fridge. Got quoted at $700 for a repair, bought the parts for $200 and after 3-4 tries, finally got the bastard to stop leaking water! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,897
    Uh also dudes, I totally fixed my fridge. Got quoted at $700 for a repair, bought the parts for $200 and after 3-4 tries, finally got the bastard to stop leaking water! 
    Nice. Youtube has helped me with a lot of repairs. Sometimes I forget to look things up and try it out myself. A lot of it isn't rocket science. It's about listening closely and keeping parts organized.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Oh to have such steady hands!  Nice work!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Oh to have such steady hands!  Nice work!
    I played a lot of Operation as a kid, LOL! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858

I use this place.   https://www.repairclinic.com/

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14