Options

Can't Deny Me...reconsidered

2»

Comments

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I like both songs. Hell, I even kinda like Ole. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    vaggar99 said:
    just be thankful they didn't try to sound like Imagine Dragons.
    Thunder, feel the thunder
    She's a lightning bolt, and the thunder  :lol:
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,588
    Heres my hot take: I'll gladly take this song over Of The Earth any show. And for the next record.

:s  You'd rather watch Ed bang a cowbell than witness a song with a better riff and a jam that's awesome live?  To each their own. 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited July 2019
    Of the Earth is a jaw-dropper.  I saw it at Wrigley and my jaw hit the floor.... epic to say the least 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Dq5_Nubbg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited July 2019
    KN219077 said:
    Can’t Deny Me over Of The Earth? I apparently have much different taste in PJ than some of you. That’s okay, it’s all good!

No, it’s not ok. Not even a huge fan of Of The Earth but the nicest thing I can say about Can’t Deny Me is that it’s relatively short. Ham handed politicism, Ed sounding rough, just completely plodding on all fronts.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,761
    edited July 2019
    DewieCox said:
    KN219077 said:
    Can’t Deny Me over Of The Earth? I apparently have much different taste in PJ than some of you. That’s okay, it’s all good!

No, it’s not ok. Not even a huge fan of Of The Earth but the nicest thing I can say about Can’t Deny Me is that it’s relatively short. Ham handed politicism, Ed sounding rough, just completely plodding on all fronts.
    Sure it is. People can like whatever shitty songs they want. And dislike the good ones too if they feel so inclined. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox said:
    KN219077 said:

Sure it is. People can like whatever shitty songs they want. And dislike the good ones too if they feel so inclined. 

🤔
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,022
    Of the Earth is a jaw-dropper.  I saw it at Wrigley and my jaw hit the floor.... epic to say the least 

I was there too. And it was...fine? It's a bit meandering. Probably a good reason why they haven't been able to land on a version for the past 3 records.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,322
    edited July 2019
    DewieCox said:
    KN219077 said:

When has Eddie ever not sounded rough on Of The Earth?

And in what way isn't Of The Earth isn't plodding. It's just that weird and endless start-stop-start-stop-start-stop rif, which Eddie screeching on top.

#CantDenyMeFan
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,022
    He means Ed sounds rough on CDM.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,322
    edited July 2019
    He means Ed sounds rough on CDM.
    Yes. And I have never heard him not sound "rough" on Of the Earth :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,947
    vaggar99 said:
    i personally think its a major faux pas to put a song on an album after so much time.
    Is there any precedent? 

I mean other than, songs like Silver & Gold (Neil Young) being played for decades live before released on a studio album.

But is there other examples of a single being released, and the album not coming out for a long-long time?
    back when i was a fan, I recall being pretty annoyed that Godsmack released a song for the Mummy soundtrack, and it ended up on their next studio album a year later. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KN219077 said:
    OTE was cool when they played it out of nowhere live in this day and age. But it's too disjointed from verse to chorus.i can see why they couldn't make it work in studio. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    I don't understand why Ed beats the cowbell for this song....why doesn't Matt handle that?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,761
    vaggar99 said:
    i personally think its a major faux pas to put a song on an album after so much time.
    Is there any precedent? 

I mean other than, songs like Silver & Gold (Neil Young) being played for decades live before released on a studio album.

But is there other examples of a single being released, and the album not coming out for a long-long time?
    back when i was a fan, I recall being pretty annoyed that Godsmack released a song for the Mummy soundtrack, and it ended up on their next studio album a year later. 
    Will Smith can qualify for this I guess. He had the Men In Black theme song on the movie's soundtrack and then he put it on his Big Willie Style album the following year. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,147

I couldn’t agree more. I also caught it in Denver and it was fucking awesome!  

The TMR version with Jack White is literally one of my favorite things PJ has ever put out. 

To each their own I guess. I just think musically Of The Earth is a masterpiece of a jam. Oh and again, I like Can’t Deny Me. Especially live. 
  • Options
    BR223133BR223133 Posts: 86
    After listening to 'Dark Matter' a bunch, it makes me wonder how 'Can't Deny Me' would have sounded if Andrew Watt had produced it.
    1992: 7/25 Denver, CO (Lollapalooza)
    1993: 11/30 Las Vegas, NV (Vault #5) - 12/1 Las Vegas, NV
    1998: 7/11 Las Vegas, NV
    2000: 10/22 Las Vegas, NV (10th anniversary)
    2003: 4/1 Denver, CO
    2006: 7/3 Denver, CO
    2014: 10/22 Denver, CO
    2020: 4/11 Phoenix, AZ
    2022: 5/9 Phoenix, AZ - 5/20 Las Vegas, NV

Eddie Vedder/Earthlings
    2022: 10/7 Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    I listened to it yesterday. I still like it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com