Nashville '22
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    Anyone have any idea what this is like?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,528

Can't find the full WEB-DL performance online but their official YouTube page posted clips from last year's event over @  https://www.youtube.com/@ReportinForDutyLeslieJordan/videos
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 804
    I went last year and expect this year to be different. Last year was made for TV with TOO many performers. Everyone had 1-2 songs max. I believe this event will be more about the music with such a high ticket price. 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    I went last year and expect this year to be different. Last year was made for TV with TOO many performers. Everyone had 1-2 songs max. I believe this event will be more about the music with such a high ticket price. 
    I'd have already bought a ticket if I knew how many songs Vedder would be getting....it's pricey but for a great cause.  Plus with the tour coming up $ is going to be spent so would have been good to know tour and what tickets prior.

This looks interesting though, and I know it's for charity, but for me at that $ level I would need to come away thinking it was a very special night.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I'm all for fundraising for EB but $2500 is insanity. Eddie will probably play 5 songs. (You can quote me on that after)
    Why not play a larger venue and make it $500. Like how many actual Pearl Jam fans have $5000 to spend on a pair of charity tickets just laying around? 
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I'm all for fundraising for EB but $2500 is insanity. Eddie will probably play 5 songs. (You can quote me on that after)
    Why not play a larger venue and make it $500. Like how many actual Pearl Jam fans have $5000 to spend on a pair of charity tickets just laying around? 
    Yes, I agree. Might as well stick to a private event like he does a lot vs dangling it in front of PJ fans to think about spending 5k for a pair. or at least open up a handful of tickets for true fans in the area.

I paid a good amount (~300 each) for good seats at the Opry last year and there were a good amount of seats NOT sold. 

I think this will be a few more songs than 5 for EV. It will look more like the NetJets event he did last year. 
    Nashville '00
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. Might as well stick to a private event like he does a lot vs dangling it in front of PJ fans to think about spending 5k for a pair. or at least open up a handful of tickets for true fans in the area.

I paid a good amount (~300 each) for good seats at the Opry last year and there were a good amount of seats NOT sold. 

I think this will be a few more songs than 5 for EV. It will look more like the NetJets event he did last year. 
    What was the netjets set?  I did a quick search but nothing I found shared it....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,371

As someone who has attended a number of fundraisers, I don't think the pricing is insane, particularly given how high-profile the performers are. If I lived closer to the venue, I'd absolutely get tickets. The pricing is in line with events I've attended featuring top-tier artists in other genres.

Who knows how many PJ fans have the funds lying around. Judging by the prices auction items go for -- and Zippo lighters, Benaroya LPs, etc. -- there are a number of people who might have the funds available. I think that to some extent it's a matter of personal preferences/ habits/ priorities. E.g., I can't imagine spending any amount of money at all on a Zippo lighter or a basketball, but buying tickets to fundraising events where most of the price is a charitable donation is something I do regularly. To each their own.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options

What was the netjets set?  I did a quick search but nothing I found shared it....
    I never got the full set but a friend of a friend was there. It was a daytime show at a spot close to the river. It was during the off day and possibly when Ed got sick.. 

It was a no phone show so why nothing ever hit social media. 
    Nashville '00
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,528

I never got the full set but a friend of a friend was there. It was a daytime show at a spot close to the river. It was during the off day and possibly when Ed got sick.. 

It was a no phone show so why nothing ever hit social media. 
    He loves NetJets.

Did one in 2018.

One in 2020..

In 2023 I saw a few video clips up on Instagram.

• Options

Surprised to hear there were unsold seats at that. I watched the whole broadcast. Like instagram posts saying "are you reporting for duty? this will be the hottest ticket in town" just strikes me as obnoxious with those prices. Two of my paychecks for one ticket to NOT an Eddie Vedder concert, yeah not happening. 
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• Options
    It's a lot of money, yes; but this is how fundraisers work. This is a fundraiser, not a PJ concert or an Ed solo show.

If you go to, say, a pizza fundraiser at your kid's school, and they're holding a charity auction to fund a new soccer field, people will be invited to bid on things like: a romantic weekend getaway at a nearby B&B; cooking classes; tickets to an upcoming sporting event. Each auction item will have an estimated value listed -- let's say that value is $500. People interested in the auction item will write down their bid -- each new bid, like the online auctions, needs to be higher than the previous one. If you end up "winning" the cooking classes with a bid of $750, $250 of that money is tax-deductible (the auction items themselves were donated by local businesses, your deductible portion is the part that's greater than fair market value). Had you simply decided on your ow to sign up for cooking classes, you would have paid $500.

For a fundraising gala or concert: Let's take a non-Ed example. Yo-Yo Ma performs around the world, sometimes with the Silk Road Ensemble, sometimes as a soloist with an orchestra, sometimes in chamber ensembles, occasionally in solo recitals. 

If Yo-Yo Ma is appearing with your local orchestra as part of their regular programming, you just buy a ticket -- priced somewhere between $20 and $120, let's say -- and you go. However, if Yo-Yo Ma is playing at the opening night gala for, say, the Seattle Symphony, gala tickets might start at $500 and go up to $250,000, depending on seats, whether you are going to the cocktail party/ dinner, whether you're purchasing a table for 10 or 12, etc. You will be told up front, before you decide how much to spend, what you're getting at each price point and how much, if anything, is deductible.

In this scenario, a gala ticket might cost $2000-$2500 per person and would include cocktail reception, concert featuring Yo-Yo Ma, and dinner and dancing afterwards. The non-deductible portion of your ticket is perhaps $250/each to cover the fair market value of the concert ticket, champagne and dinner. The remainder you get to claim on your taxes as a deduction, as it's a charitable donation to the symphony's educational outreach programs (youth orchestras, concerts for young people, etc.). Nobody is claiming that the concert and dinner themselves are worth $2500/person.

Is that still more money than most people have lying around? Sure, probably. But that's not the target market here.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,528
    Why are people upset at the prices when it's for charity and there aren't that many seats? You want $20 tickets? 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Why are people upset at the prices when it's for charity and there aren't that many seats? You want $20 tickets? 
    I think it would make more sense to sell $500 tickets and play a place thats 5 times bigger, same net.

• Options
    It's a lot of money, yes; but this is how fundraisers work. This is a fundraiser, not a PJ concert or an Ed solo show.

If you go to, say, a pizza fundraiser at your kid's school, and they're holding a charity auction to fund a new soccer field, people will be invited to bid on things like: a romantic weekend getaway at a nearby B&B; cooking classes; tickets to an upcoming sporting event. Each auction item will have an estimated value listed -- let's say that value is $500. People interested in the auction item will write down their bid -- each new bid, like the online auctions, needs to be higher than the previous one. If you end up "winning" the cooking classes with a bid of $750, $250 of that money is tax-deductible (the auction items themselves were donated by local businesses, your deductible portion is the part that's greater than fair market value). Had you simply decided on your ow to sign up for cooking classes, you would have paid $500.

For a fundraising gala or concert: Let's take a non-Ed example. Yo-Yo Ma performs around the world, sometimes with the Silk Road Ensemble, sometimes as a soloist with an orchestra, sometimes in chamber ensembles, occasionally in solo recitals. 

If Yo-Yo Ma is appearing with your local orchestra as part of their regular programming, you just buy a ticket -- priced somewhere between $20 and $120, let's say -- and you go. However, if Yo-Yo Ma is playing at the opening night gala for, say, the Seattle Symphony, gala tickets might start at $500 and go up to $250,000, depending on seats, whether you are going to the cocktail party/ dinner, whether you're purchasing a table for 10 or 12, etc. You will be told up front, before you decide how much to spend, what you're getting at each price point and how much, if anything, is deductible.

In this scenario, a gala ticket might cost $2000-$2500 per person and would include cocktail reception, concert featuring Yo-Yo Ma, and dinner and dancing afterwards. The non-deductible portion of your ticket is perhaps $250/each to cover the fair market value of the concert ticket, champagne and dinner. The remainder you get to claim on your taxes as a deduction, as it's a charitable donation to the symphony's educational outreach programs (youth orchestras, concerts for young people, etc.). Nobody is claiming that the concert and dinner themselves are worth $2500/person.

Is that still more money than most people have lying around? Sure, probably. But that's not the target market here.

Yes I actually understand how fundraisers work. lol
    It just seems like an insane amount to be constantly promoting shit on instagram with "get the hottest ticket in town, will you be reporting for duty?" When 99.9% of Eddie Vedder fans will not be reporting for duty at $2500 a head. It's a This Is Not For You to the extreme.

• Options
    If you understand how fundraisers work, which part of this seems insane to you?

I expect they have someone behind the scenes pursuing corporate sponsors and donors with deep pockets. Meanwhile, they will keep promoting the event until it sells out and to remind smaller-ticket donors about their cause.

I receive many gala/ fundraiser invitations -- sometimes I go, sometimes I don't. If I don't feel strongly about the cause, maybe I don't go, and that's okay. If I think the prices are unreasonable, I have the option of not buying a ticket.

Political candidates will hold a variety of fundraising events, some designed to attract the broadest number of supporters, some intended for the most affluent/ generous donors. Pearl Jam concerts have a price point; festivals have a price point; Ed solo shows have a price point. 

But this is not an Ed solo show, it is a fundraiser.  For an Eddie Vedder solo show, $2500 a pop sounds crazy (although I've paid as much for a salon concert with a world-class artist). For a fundraising event in a venue with a capacity of 250 the pricing is entirely in line with other events featuring artists of similar caliber. 

EB is a pretty niche cause (no criticism intended -- it's just not a widely-supported); a larger-scale event with a lower entry fee would make sense for a larger organization or a cause with a broader base of support. I can see Ed doing a benefit solo show in a theater venue, with tickets priced at $500 each, but I expect there still would be grousing about the cost.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,525
    edited January 26
    I think if you sold $500 tickets at a larger venue for charity show featuring Eddie Vedder I think it the average person buying that ticket is expecting $500 worth of music… as in a 3 hour EV show.  They’re not going to be happy with 3 or 4 songs from Ed.  People that shell out the $2500 know it’s a fundraiser and they know they’re not getting $2500 worth of music.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    True -- at most fundraisers I've attended, the entertainment is kept (mercifully) brief; the musical performance will be about 40 minutes otherwise the patrons get restless and wonder where they left their drinks. ;-D  I went to one where the concert was objectively lovely but also wholly inappropriate for the event and twice as long as it should have been. I kept considering crawling over people in my gown and heels to reach the exit. Donors expect wine, more solicitations for donations, a decent meal, and social opportunities. 
  • Options
    True -- at most fundraisers I've attended, the entertainment is kept (mercifully) brief; the musical performance will be about 40 minutes otherwise the patrons get restless and wonder where they left their drinks. ;-D  I went to one where the concert was objectively lovely but also wholly inappropriate for the event and twice as long as it should have been. I kept considering crawling over people in my gown and heels to reach the exit. Donors expect wine, more solicitations for donations, a decent meal, and social opportunities. 
    I think we lead very different lives. lol
    This is being billed as a concert with several performers, it's going to be more than 40 minutes. I think everyone knows they won't get $2500 worth of Eddie Vedder music. Not arguing that. 

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,525
    My buddy gets all kinds of VIP tickets for concerts and sporting events through his employer and brings me frequently.  I’m fortunate that I’ve sat in a lot of great seats because of him without paying anything.  We went to the Stand Up for Heroes event at the Theater at MSG a few years ago.  There were a bunch of amazing comics on the bill and Bruce Springsteen was the musical headliner.  He played 3 songs.  Besides the ticket to get in… they were going up and down the aisles getting people to write checks between acts.  People were dropping serious cash. It was awesome and for a great cause but I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for it.  I’ll be meeting him at the Garden next week for a Knicks game.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 746
    edited January 30
    If meet and greet was included I bet these would sell better.

Or something like one ticket includes meet and greet with one artist of your choice.