Options

Technically the 1st Pearl Jam fan

TonybalsamoTonybalsamo Montlake, Seattle, WA Posts: 12
edited January 25 in Other Music
Hello. My mom owned a restaurant in San Diego called Sicilia Restaurant near the San Diego State University area.

I was 13 years old at the time. A few doors down from our restaurant was a record shop called “Off The Wall” which I frequented often.

One day in the early Summer if 1991, I went to off the wall and the worker there was telling me about this band called “Pearl Jam” and they would be eating at my moms restaurant that night for the release of their new album… he gave me a circular poster of their album ‘ten’ and he said, get this signed, this band is going to be huge.

that evening, they in fact came to my moms restaurant and sat at table B2. 
I shyly approached the table and asked if I could have their autograph. Little did I know at the time, but Eddie Vedder said loudly “our first official fan”. Not only did they sign the poster, but they also signed a CD for me. In a kind gesture, I asked my mom if we could cover their drinks on their bills which she approved…

As they were leaving, Eddie asked who was my favorite band at the time which I said Alice In Chains… several weeks later I received this care package from Eddie with several items from Alice In Chains (special shirts, cd’s, etc). I was so amazed by this gesture, even at 13 did not know what to make of it and of course, crazily excited. he recognized our kind gesture and was Thoughtful to repay the gesture… gone are these acts of generosity and kindness. 

A few months go by and Eddie shows up with his brothers to eat -as he was playing a show that weekend down the street at a place called Winters. They sat at table C4. In return for the very kind care package, I asked my mom if we could comp their dinner, which she approved. 

In 1993 we sold the restaurant. The new owners contacted me saying someone stopped by and wrote me a letter on the back of a paper place mat. Of course, it was Eddie. I had no way to connect as I did not have his contact details. The restaurant was sold again to a new owner. He stopped by once more to visit and left me another letter with cosmic and inspirational worlds. I still have both letters.

just a crazy special experience in life with a truly talented group, and a very thoughtful and generous being. 

Thoughts? 
Post edited by Tonybalsamo on

Comments

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    That is one of the best Pearl Jam stories / memories I’ve had the pleasure of reading. Thanks for sharing! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    fl247556fl247556 Posts: 272
    moments that mark you and inspire you for life
    freddie vedder
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,967
    Show us the letters . I would love to see them . Beautiful 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    That is very cool.  Amazing memories and a unique connection. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 335
    Thank you for sharing this unique and beautiful experience! 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    wonderful story!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,796
    Wow. Very cool of Eddie to follow up for sure. great you had the guts to go talk to them. Everything seemed to line up perfectly. That happens once in a while to good people. Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Great stuff...yeah if you could post those letters that would be awesome. I assume you still have the autographed items?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 607
    Incredible story. Thanks for sharing. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    That is absolutely awesome! So happy you had that experience!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    Very cool story.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate your kind acknowledgments. I’m hesitant to post the letters, as they are meaningful and personal, but I don’t think there is anything that is private… I’ll think about it. Besides, they are only copies and in some box in my basement, so I’ll have to search for them.

as for all of the memorabilia I had, they were locked in a filing cabinet that was stolen when I was living in my brothers house in San Diego was burglarized in 2007… at least I made copies of the letters…
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,542
    Wow, amazing story.  These are so great to hear and ones from the very early days don't pop up very often.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate your kind acknowledgments. I’m hesitant to post the letters, as they are meaningful and personal, but I don’t think there is anything that is private… I’ll think about it. Besides, they are only copies and in some box in my basement, so I’ll have to search for them.

as for all of the memorabilia I had, they were locked in a filing cabinet that was stolen when I was living in my brothers house in San Diego was burglarized in 2007… at least I made copies of the letters…
    What an odd thing to steal...
  • Options

What an odd thing to steal...
    They stole a lot more than just the filing cabinet… 
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Amazing story. Thanks for sharing. You may wanna consider posting it on 'The Porch' forum as more people, many whom would enjoy reading your story, will see it there :sunglasses:
  • Options

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    That's really awesome! It's a shame you lost the stuff he gave you but what an amazing experience.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,796
    Woah. So cool of ev and you. ROCKS!!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772

Post of the fookin' year right here! How awesome! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,900
    that is awesome! Sucks about some of the stuff getting stolen but yeah like others said glad the letters copied.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Those letters are fantastic.
    Can only imagine what getting those as a teenager meant.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    That is an amazing and thoroughly enjoyable story, Tony.  Thank you for sharing it with us!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,656
    Amazing stuff right here!! Thanks for posting. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Awesome stuff!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    love it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com