Options

The Replacements, Tim: Let it Bleed Edition/ Ed Stasium mix.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
edited January 5 in Other Music
There's been a fair amount of talk here and there about the box set release of The Replacements', Tim: Let it Bleed Edition, and much of the discussion has focused on the Ed Stasium remix of this great album.  The consensus among 'Mats fans has been quite mixed, generally with some fans giving huge thumbs up to the Stasium remix, and other saying basically, "Yeah, it's interesting, but I still prefer the original 1985 Tommy Erdelyi mix."  The copy I ordered came in today and after a very attentive first listening, I'm strongly leaning toward the latter camp. 
I will say, I was impressed with the details that the Stasium mix offers.  At the very least, that aspect is quite intriguing and I'm guessing in a couple of cases at least ("Hold My Life" and "Left of the Dial") I could see favoring this new mix.  But overall, as much as I found the details interesting, I only found them that: interesting.  In one case- specifically "Little Mascara"- I found them downright irritating.  TO my ears, the Stasium mix killed the touching, poignant vibe of "Little Mascara".
The other impression I have is that I can see why some people might prefer the Stasium mix.  It has more punch, and for a lot of listeners that is a plus.  For my tastes (which I admit could be a bit biased due to having listened to this album many times over the last 39 years), I like the comfortable vibe Tommy infused in the '85 mix.  It still feel like a righteously comfortable fit for me.
So, yeah, I'm happy to have this [overpriced] set, and find it intriguing, and the vinyl pressing is superb, but if I could only have one copy of this LP on vinyl, either the Stasium or the Erdely, I'd stick with Tommy's mix.
Let's hear what you think!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    I think the original mix is more polished, quieter, and the bass is more subtle in the original than the Stasium mix and those are probably a few of the reasons so many people have gravitated toward preferring the new mix. It’s rougher around the edges and has a greater sense of urgency and danger/the threat that things could go off the rails feeling of a replacements show or earlier albums… Tim is a pivotal album in their catalog because it marked the beginning of the transition in their sound towards a more power pop oriented sound as opposed to their earlier punk roots and each mix kind of highlights that transition in different ways. I love that we have both mixes and that they both sound so good it’s kind of an embarrassment of riches but if I had to choose at this moment I’d pick the stasium mix due to the fact that there is more bass and the guitars have more grit and bite. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    I think the original mix is more polished, quieter, and the bass is more subtle in the original than the Stasium mix and those are probably a few of the reasons so many people have gravitated toward preferring the new mix. It’s rougher around the edges and has a greater sense of urgency and danger/the threat that things could go off the rails feeling of a replacements show or earlier albums… Tim is a pivotal album in their catalog because it marked the beginning of the transition in their sound towards a more power pop oriented sound as opposed to their earlier punk roots and each mix kind of highlights that transition in different ways. I love that we have both mixes and that they both sound so good it’s kind of an embarrassment of riches but if I had to choose at this moment I’d pick the stasium mix due to the fact that there is more bass and the guitars have more grit and bite. 

Yeah, Tommy's bass really stand out in the Stasium mix and, again, to my ears this is really interesting because I love Tommy's bass playing (and he's just such a cool dude anyway!), and how many kids at that age have there even been that have been able to play like that?!, and yes, on some of the songs I think that hearing more bass is great, but the problem for me is that on the more quiet/ ballad type songs like Waitress and Swingin' Party, the bass overwhelms these more subtle songs.  Of course, I could bring the bass down on my tuner, except that I've kind of become almost a "purist" as far as keeping the source direct button engaged, figuring that I always want to hear a record that way it comes right off the vinyl.  Or maybe I just got to damn frustrated with incessantly tweaking knobs trying to find some elusive perfection that really needn't be there.
    In any case, Tim really is, as you well put it, a turning point LP. 
    One thing I've noticed about us 'Mats fans is that we for the vast majority of us, our love of the band is a very personal thing and we all have our own peculiar penchant for stuff of theirs that we like more than others.  For example, I've known fans who swear by Pleased to Meet Me as being the bands "best" (whatever that means) album.  As good as it is (and the playing is top notch), for some reason I always rank it near or at the bottom of my favorites (but for me, the least Replacements albums is better that an awful lot of the records I've had over the years).   And yet Don't Tell a Soul, which is disdained by a good number of fans, is one of my favorites.  No accounting for taste, eh?  Haha! 
    And then there is the question of which album is the favorite.  Hell, I dunno.  Tim, this week, Let it Be, the next.  Or maybe even Hootenanny some days.  They're all great!

Thanks for putting down your thoughts here, P.  I always did reading others takes on our beloved Replacements!

P.S.  Have you read Peter Jesperson's recent memoir, Euphoric Recall?  A good portion of the book is focused on several really cool stories about his discovering The Replacements and his years working as their manager.  Great stuff!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    This new mix/release is my go to. I have a copy of the OG Tim on vinyl, which sounds awesome, but for on the go listening, this one right here. Finally some low end, and reverb management! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    This new mix/release is my go to. I have a copy of the OG Tim on vinyl, which sounds awesome, but for on the go listening, this one right here. Finally some low end, and reverb management! 

That is so much the general consensus it leaves me feeling like a real outcast.  :lol:
    I think part of it for me is having so many times been listening to the original vinyl release of Tim for 38 1/2 years, it's etched in my brain to play a certain way.  I will say, I absolutely love the Stasium version of "Hold My Life".  If I could switch that out onto the OG, I'd have my perfect go to Tim LP.
    And in any case, I'm just thrilled that Tim is drawing in new fans!