Options

Barack Obama, Eddie Vedder, Magic Johnson part of heavy-hitting group honoring Bulls' Ring of Honor

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,094

Presented by Nationwide Insurance Agent Jeff Vukovich

Apparently, when you want help honoring history, you turn to some huge figures.

As part of the Chicago Bulls' Ring of Honor festivities this week, the franchise enlisted some heavy-hitters to write essays on the inductees. And it doesn't get much bigger than former president Barack Obama penning a tribute to Michael Jordan.

That essay, along with others like Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder writing his tribute to Dennis Rodman and Magic Johnson doing the same on Scottie Pippen, will be unveiled on Wednesday in the United Center's east atrium as part of a fan-friendly experience honoring the inaugural class.

The atrium will feature memorabilia from all 13 individual honorees and the 1995-96 team that won a then-record 72 games and is being inducted in full.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver wrote the essay honoring the 1995-96 team. Other authors include:

Comments

• Options
    Eddie Vedder's essay on Dennis Rodman. Chicago Bulls' Ring of Honor

• Options
    Love it! Die hard Bulls fan since the 80’s…. I was so pissed when we traded my favorite player Will Perdue for Dennis, but it was destined to be. Go Bulls!
  • Options

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,003
    thats awesome.

• Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,141
    Love it! Die hard Bulls fan since the 80’s…. I was so pissed when we traded my favorite player Will Perdue for Dennis, but it was destined to be. Go Bulls!
    Your…your favorite player was Will Perdue? 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,784
    Fantastic. Love that the team is finally doing something at this level for the franchise, and seems well worth the wait for those they got involved. Curious who'll be in attendance for the game tomorrow
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,194
    This whole thing really turned out to be a mess. Doesn't seem well thought out by the Bulls.

https://theathletic.com/5199803/2024/01/13/jerry-krause-ring-of-honor-bulls?source=user-shared-article
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,341
    pjl44 said:
    This whole thing really turned out to be a mess. Doesn't seem well thought out by the Bulls.

https://theathletic.com/5199803/2024/01/13/jerry-krause-ring-of-honor-bulls?source=user-shared-article
    With the issues that Pippen has with Jordan and issues with Krause, just should’ve had a private ceremony and a list of who is in the ring of honor should’ve been done at halftime.

The widow of Jerry Krause should’ve not have had to cry with when her husband’s name was announced.  Here’s how many championships the Bulls won before and after Krause, zero.  The Bulls have been rebuilding since the 1998 offseason.  As a Bulls fan myself, I’m not booing Krause, Krause helped bring Chicago six championships when no one else has.  Was he perfect, no, but none of us are.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    pjl44 said:

Wow!
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,725
    edited January 14

Yes
    ^ Which one is your favourite? The one taking the sword fight action?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options

Mark Grote reads Eddie Vedder's letter honoring Dennis Rodman

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder penned a letter in honor of former Bulls star Dennis Rodman being enshrined as part of the first class of the team's new Ring of Honor. Mark Grote read Vedder's letter as only he can — with an impression of the rock star.

• Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,141
    Yes
    Lol
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,725
    demetrios said:

Mark Grote reads Eddie Vedder's letter honoring Dennis Rodman

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder penned a letter in honor of former Bulls star Dennis Rodman being enshrined as part of the first class of the team's new Ring of Honor. Mark Grote read Vedder's letter as only he can — with an impression of the rock star.

That impression lacks Ed's sexy tone in a BIG way. Cringe!

Cute Animal joke, though.