Options

holiday movies

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
forgive me if a thread already exists, i couldn't find one!

looks like some interesting flicks coming out in the weeks ahead. some i'm curious about:

cadillac records - i can't stand beyonce and i heard her cover of 'at last' which damn near made me break out in hives cuz i LOVE etta james' original version better. but the story looks interesting http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1042877/

the spirit - just saw the trailer, and it looks f'ing AWESOME. i *loved* sin city and the aesthetics of this one has me very intrigued! http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0026863/

doubt - meryl streep and philip seymour hoffman? um hell yeah! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918927/

che - benicio del toro, this looks good. i've heard personal accounts about che and it'll be interesting to see how he's portrayed in this, as well as fidel and raul
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374569/

curious case of benjamin button - i'm intrigued mostly cuz it just looks original compared to all the remake crap or remedial stuff usually at the movies
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    im especially excited for benjamin button, and spirit looks pretty sweet as well. I've only seen the tv previews for benjamin button, not any official trailers, but something about it reminds me of big fish, which is definitely a good thing, big fish is one of my favorite movies. also, it gets bonus points for using an amazing arcade fire song in one of the previews
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Options
    im especially excited for benjamin button, and spirit looks pretty sweet as well. I've only seen the tv previews for benjamin button, not any official trailers, but something about it reminds me of big fish, which is definitely a good thing, big fish is one of my favorite movies. also, it gets bonus points for using an amazing arcade fire song in one of the previews
    oh is that who does the song in the trailer? i was wondering who that was :)
  • Options
    oh is that who does the song in the trailer? i was wondering who that was :)

yeah, the one that goes "my body is a caaaage...." great song from neon bible, which is a great album, by a great band. great great great.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Che and The Spirit are up there ...

as is Milk (opens this weekend) ... http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3484622/9690206 (They had the World Premier a few blocks from my place, sadly, I wasn't invited)

... and, am I the only one that is intersted in Valkyrie? Tom Cruise aside, it's an important historical story. http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1461366/4994131

If you don't see the movie, see a documentary about it.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Che and The Spirit are up there ...

as is Milk (opens this weekend) ... http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3484622/9690206 (They had the World Premier a few blocks from my place, sadly, I wasn't invited)

... and, am I the only one that is intersted in Valkyrie? Tom Cruise aside, it's an important historical story. http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1461366/4994131

If you don't see the movie, see a documentary about it.
    ah yes, i actually saw some of milk being filmed in SF, happened to drive by!

the valkyrie story is interesting...i can't stand tom cruise though :o which documentary do you recommend or is there only one out there?
  • Options
    ah yes, i actually saw some of milk being filmed in SF, happened to drive by!

the valkyrie story is interesting...i can't stand tom cruise though :o which documentary do you recommend or is there only one out there?

Making up for Tom Cruise, hopefully, is Terrance Stamp, that guy rules.

I'm sure there will be plenty on the History Channel (or History Channel International) with the movie coming out ... they seem to do that when movies come out with historical reference.

(Just checked DirecTV, nothing this week ... but, it'll happen)

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Making up for Tom Cruise, hopefully, is Terrance Stamp, that guy rules.

I'm sure there will be plenty on the History Channel (or History Channel International) with the movie coming out ... they seem to do that when movies come out with historical reference.

(Just checked DirecTV, nothing this week ... but, it'll happen)
    good point. i checked netflix and they have a documentary about it too, i'll add it to the queue :)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    madagascar 2

starts here on dec 18
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    madagascar 2

starts here on dec 18
    My little ones are uber excited about this :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    My little ones are uber excited about this :)
    \
    aah forget about the little ones im uber excited. :D

busting to see king julian and those psychotic penguins and phil & his simian mate again.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    We're waiting for Despereaux to come out. It's an animated movie about a mouse that reads fairy tales and becomes a heroic knight. :)

(It was a favorite book of my son's.) :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    madascar 2 should be cute, i liked the 1st one. i'll probably wait to watch it with my best friends' kidlets :)

that mouse movie looks cute too!
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Gran Torino
    Seven Pounds
    The Wrestler
    The Spirit
    Valkyrie
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    boy in the striped pajamas does look good too.

it's good to have so many options for movies!
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    boy in the striped pajamas does look good too.

it's good to have so many options for movies!
    If it's anything as good as the book it'll be fantastic. I hope they don't make it a happy ending.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    ah, I thought this was going to be about movies about the holiday. All those movies do look good. I would like to see Austrailia.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    angie76 wrote:
    ah, I thought this was going to be about movies about the holiday. All those movies do look good. I would like to see Austrailia.
    yeah sorry i realized after i posted it that it could be construed that way :o yeah i'd like to see australia just for the vistas!
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    :o yeah i'd like to see australia just for the vistas!

me too actually :)
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i'm really anticipating 'benjamin button'-- it looks great, and the early buzz has been really positive as well!
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Around Christmas time I won't be at the theater....i will be home watching a real Christmas movie, NATIONAL LAMPOONS CHRISTMAS VACATION!!! Best Christmas movie ever!!!!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    Around Christmas time I won't be at the theater....i will be home watching a real Christmas movie, NATIONAL LAMPOONS CHRISTMAS VACATION!!! Best Christmas movie ever!!!!

shitter's full ...... :D

• Options
    samjam wrote:
    i'm really anticipating 'benjamin button'-- it looks great, and the early buzz has been really positive as well!
    has it? i ahven't heard any of the reviews yet, i might check it out at a matinee when i'm off for the holidays :)
  • Options
    So far this year

We have watched the classics
    A Christmas Story
    Its a Wonderful Life
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Christmas Vacation
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

We also said we were going to take some time and watch some Christmas/Holiday movies that we have never seen. So far we have watched

The Santa Clause
    The Santa Clause II
    Jingle All The Way
    Four Christmases

Tim Allen does a great job in the Santa Clause movies. Both movies were good. 
    They were not Academy Award winning movies, but they were cute and I am sure the young children adored the movies. 
    I just couldn't believe the 1st movie is already 30 years old. 

Tomorrow, we get to watch Rudolph and Frosty. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT!!!!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....