Options

Recommendations for food in the DC area

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
DC does not have good food as a rule. There are too many chains. So, you'll get standard fare, which sometimes is all we need, eh. In the DC area for coffee I would go to M.E. Swings which is about 2 blocks from the white house. They are not open on Saturdays. Tryst is also a recommended place off the Zoo metro stop. It's a hike to get there from the metro.

For food for people of all food diets I would recommend Mark's Kitchen which is on the red line off the Takoma Park stop just outside DC. I LOVE their cappuccinos. Unfortunately, when it's hot outside it's maybe 2 degrees cooler inside. Takoma Park is a cute little village with kick-ass shops for jewelry. There is a farmer's market on Sundays.

Near the Verizon venue, Rosa Mexican has the best guacamole, but everything else is eh.

Within DC, for the booklovers there are 2 very good options. Kramerbooks on the red line Dupont Circle stop. They have a restaurant in the back, and a website. I believe they are open 24 hours/day. Their food's pretty good, better than most places in DC. I've been there many times. When I wasn't a vegetarian I would have the tortellini alredo with ham and peas. Dupont Circle has other places to eat. Good if you need a place, but I was never wow-d by anything. Mark's Kitchen is where I've been the most wow-d by DC food.

Also, Politics and Prose is a great bookstore. Off the UDC red line stop. They have a little cafe, and there are other places to eat on the 1+ mile walk to the bookstore from the metro.

You may want to visit chow.com for more suggestions. I just remember in 2006 when I asked the Boston PJ fans for suggestions for coffee in Boston I kept getting Dunkin Donuts as answers. So, I'm proactively giving suggestions :D
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nothing better then an answer to an un-asked question.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    unlededunleded Posts: 30
    I'll offer offer up Matchbox (right by Verizon) as a great place to go for brick oven pizza, mini burgers, and a nice selection of beer.

If anybody appreciates my advice, feel free to share an extra ticket since I was not clairvoyant enough to know I'd still be in DC to actually go to the show.
    04/25/95 - met EV @ Hovercraft show; 09/24/96 - MD; 09/18/98 - MD (caught MC drumstick); 09/04/00 - MD; 07/01/03 - VA; 10/01/04 - Reading; 10/11/04 - DC; 05/30/06 - DC; 06/11/08 - WPB; 08/24/09 - Chicago; 11/15/13 - Dallas; 11/16/13 - OKC
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    There is a Clyde's and Chipotle within walking distance from the VC. I expect it to be pretty humid and its probably not wise to eat a hearty meal before the show.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Take a lap around Verizon Center and you're bound to find something you like. I'll second Matchbox, it's awesome... but get there early, not really big and it fills up fast.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    obiwon76 wrote:
    There is a Clyde's and Chipotle within walking distance from the VC. I expect it to be pretty humid and its probably not wise to eat a hearty meal before the show.

Verizon Center's air conditioning will be working, I'm sure. But you're right, don't want to get a cramp walking the 100 yards from Clyde's :)
  • Options
    leatherman_8leatherman_8 Posts: 107
    Or some latenight fare at Ben's Chili Bowl on U St. always hits the spot if you've been doing a bit of drinking.

Also, 2 Amy's Pizza by the National Cathedral is awesome, but be prepared to wait a while.

If we're talking by the Verizon Center though, I like RFD, they have good soups and it's one of the only places I've found that has many varieties of Bell's on tap, and Fado has decent Irish food. I fully second Matchbox as well. And since the Verizon center is near Chinatown, I'd recommend Full Kee or Tony Cheng's if your feeling like some actual quality chinese food.
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • Options
    jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    best food near verizon-->zaytinya its a couple blocks away. or check out Five Guys if you're looking for a good burger.

looking for a chill coffeeshop check out tryst in adams morgan.
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Options
    rower81rower81 Posts: 14
    Regional Food and Drink (RFDs) has over 100 different beers from all over and better than average bar food.

Before the 2006 show, they had PJ playing in the bar before the show...
    Columbia, MD/2000; Nassau County, NY/2003; Philly/2005; Camden I/2006; Washington, DC/2006; Paris/2006; London/2007; Tampa/2008; DC/2008; MSG I & MSG II/2008; Boston/ 2008