Options

Hard To Imagine???????

BeerbreathBeerbreath Posts: 35
edited June 2012 in The Porch
If somebody can help me with this, I would be hugely grateful. Are there TWO recorded versions of Hard To Imagine???
The only version I'm familiar with is the Lost Dogs version which it's claimed is the Vs outtake version.
The Chicago Cab Soundtrack version was reportedly recorded during the Vitalogy sessions, but I have googled, Youtubed, etc trying to find this version....when I come across something labelled as Hard To Imagine (Chicago Cab) it always sounds EXACTLY the same as the Lost Dogs version!!???/

Basically, what are the differences between the two versions, if there are any? For people who have heard both, is there a time difference? A difference in the feel? I can't tell one from the other at all, even when I see two supposedly different versions listed as coming from the two main different sources?

Sorry if this is long winded, but it's driving me mad!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Use gremmie.net. Chicago Cab version has different lyrics.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    edited June 2012
    The Chicago Cab version has my preferred lyrics.

"Fuck tradition, no ones safe from harm"

"paint a picture forty shades of grey"

Etc...
    Post edited by uninnocent- on
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    exactly where on gremmie? post the link please...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    :?: I never knew of this other version. And I thought I was a big fan :oops: :lol:.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    http://www.gremmie.net/b-sides/bsides

I'm not at home to check, but this should contain the better version.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    http://www.gremmie.net/b-sides/bsides

I'm not at home to check, but this should contain the better version.

thanks... I'm getting old, I was there before posting here, and I missed it, then I checked again, nothing, then I click on the link you gave, I know they are in alphabetical order, all of them, in any section, but I kept missing it... there must be something wrong with my eyes, or my brain...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    I really need to download it from Gremmie. The version on my iPod is from Napster and has a couple of skips in it.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I really need to download it from Gremmie. The version on my iPod is from Napster and has a couple of skips in it.

That's the one I had from about 12 years ago or so! :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

That's the one I had from about 12 years ago or so! :lol:
    It'd be hard recognizing it without all the blips!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    the versions are very different in subtle ways. The bass is different, I think deeper in the Chicago Cab Version, and I think the piano a the end is a little different as well. The intro is different, as the bass is more of a hum in a continuous buildup. Vocals are more muted in Cab I think the CC version is a little darker and more depressing.

PM me an email that can handle it (6.5 mb file) and I will make a nice 192kps mp3 of it for you

fuck tradition, no one's safe from harm way to livin "cup ons" curse these arms (can't remember exact lyrics)
    Lost dogs : tear into your self, count days on your arm, heart a beating like a bomb

there is a big difference, but a casual listener may think they are one and the same

here are the general lyrics off cab, may be a few incorrect lines, but it is the alt lyrics
    http://www.lyricsdepot.com/pearl-jam/ha ... agine.html
    Paint a picture, using only grey
    Light your pillow, lay back, watch the flames
    I tell a story but
    No one would listen that long
    It's hard to imagine, it's hard to imagine...

Fuck tradition, no one's safe for harm
    Wait a little, cup and curse these arms or Wait a living. Cup and curse these arms.
    After having seen all that they saw

Things were different then
    All is different now
    I tried to explain, somehow...

All is different now
    I tried to explain
    I hope this works somehow...

All is different now

All is different now
  • Options
    BeerbreathBeerbreath Posts: 35
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    the versions are very different in subtle ways. The bass is different, I think deeper in the Chicago Cab Version, and I think the piano a the end is a little different as well. The intro is different, as the bass is more of a hum in a continuous buildup. Vocals are more muted in Cab I think the CC version is a little darker and more depressing.

PM me an email that can handle it (6.5 mb file) and I will make a nice 192kps mp3 of it for you

fuck tradition, no one's safe from harm way to livin "cup ons" curse these arms (can't remember exact lyrics)
    Lost dogs : tear into your self, count days on your arm, heart a beating like a bomb

there is a big difference, but a casual listener may think they are one and the same

here are the general lyrics off cab, may be a few incorrect lines, but it is the alt lyrics
    http://www.lyricsdepot.com/pearl-jam/ha ... agine.html
    Paint a picture, using only grey
    Light your pillow, lay back, watch the flames
    I tell a story but

Fuck tradition, no one's safe for harm
    Wait a little, cup and curse these arms or Wait a living. Cup and curse these arms.
    After having seen all that they saw

All is different now

All is different now
    I tried to explain
    I hope this works somehow...

All is different now

All is different now

Thank you! This clears it up perfectly.......have both versions now and have finally spotted the differences. Thanks to all...... :)
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    The Chicago Cab/Vitalogy version is far superior to the Vs./Lost Dogs version. It's too bad most people are only familiar with the inferior outtake.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Lament wrote:
    The Chicago Cab/Vitalogy version is far superior to the Vs./Lost Dogs version. It's too bad most people are only familiar with the inferior outtake.

I agree, that Chicago Cab version is just healthier sounding.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    :?: I never knew of this other version. And I thought I was a big fan :oops: :lol:.
    +1. I'm a big user of gremmie too - never even noticed a different version, and I've seen the B-sides links before -D'OH!
    Thank you! :D
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    you guys should stop to use exclusively digital downloads and crappy mp3's.. you can buy the official Cd of this soundtrack (PJ are present with this version of HTI discussed here, and also who you are) for 2 or 3 dollars if you look arond a little.. so much better than a crappy, useless mp3 (yes, I hate mp3's)..
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    Jammalambo wrote:
    you guys should stop to use exclusively digital downloads and crappy mp3's.. you can buy the official Cd of this soundtrack (PJ are present with this version of HTI discussed here, and also who you are) for 2 or 3 dollars if you look arond a little.. so much better than a crappy, useless mp3 (yes, I hate mp3's)..

I'm analog actually - have all the CD's from 2008 onwards, and some 2003 CD's - just use the mp3's for other stuff, as it uses less space on the computer. I burn them to a CD - they sound fine on a high quality stereo! Love your passion though ;)
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    Jammalambo wrote:
    (PJ are present with this version of HTI discussed here, and also who you are)

Brad and Hovercraft are on it as well.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,251
    The Oracle wrote:
    Jammalambo wrote:

I'm analog actually - have all the CD's from 2008 onwards, and some 2003 CD's - just use the mp3's for other stuff, as it uses less space on the computer. I burn them to a CD - they sound fine on a high quality stereo! Love your passion though ;)

CD's are still digital :)

Personally I use a bit of everything. I have two music directories on my computer. One that is all FLAC albums for listening on my portable music player (a cowon s9) which is probably my most used way of listening to music. I also have an mp3 directory because my car stereo has a usb port for flash drives. I also use CD's/Vinyl when I listen to music at home.

I ripped my lost dogs album to flac, but I think my Chicago Cab soundtrack has been very neglected. I'm going to have to go rip it when I get home so I can listen to it on my cowon s9.....
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
  • Options
    personally I actually enjoy the LD version, mainly because there was a bootleg back in the day that had a demo version of h2i. I fell in love with that version. I was excited when CC came out and was a little surprised at the differences, though I did love an official studio version! When LD came out it was the version I grew to love, and it was like finding an old friend.
  • Options
    Jammalambo wrote:

I can't really send an LP via email now can I? In addition, Chicago Cab was never out on LP, so all we have is the "crappy"digital version. I can't send a 15 MB or larger file for lossless quality, so mp3 will just have to do. A crappy version on mp3, and yes I agree Mp3 are less than superior than analog any day of the week, is better than no version or a streamed version.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    Thanks for bringing attention to the version. :)
    Hey everyone - if 3000 people like Gremmie.net on facebook, Gremmie will start posting Soundgarden stuff according to the website (link from Gremmie to the facebook page). So do it and get Soundgarden (rare covers, Chris Cornell solos, etc!) going on Gremmie! :thumbup:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I am looking to buy for the "chicago cub" version. Please do you know where it coulb be bought online?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,936
    fafane45 said:
    I am looking to buy for the "chicago cub" version. Please do you know where it coulb be bought online?

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cab-Various-Artists/dp/B000009QSK

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,486
    What is the difference in the movie from the original "hell cab"?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.