Options

PJ in Tampa covered by blog

Comments

• Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Thanks
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    Pearl Jam reviewed in real time…
    June 12th, 2008 by Wade Tatangelo in News

Well sorta. Anyway it’s 7:50 p.m. and I’m at the St. Pete Times Forum, up in the rafters, I mean press box, typing away to the loud, echo-y sounds of opener Kings of Leon. Not too impressed. Maybe they’ll improve when I get down to the first level where my seat is at.

Pearl Jam is scheduled to go on at 8:45. This will be the first time I have seen the grunge survivors since I saw them play here (when it was called the Ice Palace) with Sonic Youth back in 2000. Killer show. The “Daughter” to “Another Brick in the Wall Pt.2″ medley was one of many highlights that night.

Wow, someone seated beneath me just lit up some seriously strong shit. Think I just caught a contact buzz (I have zero tolerance when it comes to weed). OK. Will return to the press box/blogging later, like around 9:30 or so to give a Pearl Jam update.

10 p.m. Update: Pearl Jam is leading a killer sing along of “Better Man.” It’s been a greatest hits night (of the highest order) with “Daughter,” “Even Flow” and “Wish List” leading the charge. Other highlights include Vedder’s Springsteenian speech about his White Sox baseball hero (in attendance), Obama for prez, and Vedder’s hilarious rant about being in Tampa playing a venue named after St. Pete. OK, I have to get back to the show, and no, I’m not stoned, you bastards.

10:15 Update: Crowd of 15,00 or so going ape shit for an encore!!!

10:16 Update: Whoever is commenting under the glorious name “Wade Tatangelo” is not me but he’s accurate, ’bout the setlist, at least, so, y’know, rock on.

10:23 Update: It’s goosebumps time! Vedder’s leading a congregation of 15,000 through “Black.” I feel like I’m 14 again hearing/singing along with my friends to this song. God bless Pearl Jam.

10:42 Update: Crowd going ape shit again for another encore. I’m hoping for a house-rocking Who cover. Or Neil Young’s “Fuckin’ Up.” Or “Rockin’ in the Free World.”

10:45 Update: Eddie solo with harmonica and guitar mumbling something about “fences” … I can’t understand what he’s saying from up here in the press box. I think he’s politicking.

10:47 Update: Vedder solo doing his excellent rendition of The Beatles’ “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” … followed by a full-band blowout of “ALIVE” !!!! I’m happier than a a doubled-blessed rooster!
  • Options
    10:54 Update: House lights up but Vedder’s still yapping … about somehting … the wine he’s been hitting all night has def kicked in. Not that that’s a bad thing. PJ put on a great show! Oh SHIT! “Yellow Ledbetter” My favorite Pearl Jam song of all times! (Yeah, I’m using exclamation marks like a giddy schoolgirl).
  • Options
    this might be a very very very tough show to top.
    its not even that Porch was played...but How it was played....
    could be most intense version in decades.

Heavy, outstanding show.