Options

Milli Vanilli - why?

bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
edited May 2007 in Other Music
PBM inspired this thread from a post in the Britney thread

my query is this

so Milli Vanilli was HUGE before they got busted.

why didn't the real Milli Vanilli come forward and do their thing?

only thing i can figure is they did and failed... or they were contractually prohibited from doing so.

i don't get how that shit was all over the radio and then all of a sudden it's gone.

I still have the CD that I stole from when I worked at Caldor... maybe i'll put it up on ebay ;)

anyway... who else misses Milli Vanilli?
Don't Believe Everything You Think
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wow

moved in less than 3 minutes

how about a US tour announcement instead of reading my drivel?? ;)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    no lou not you say it ain't so lou say it ain't so .......how much ;)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    bostonlou wrote:
    wow

moved in less than 3 minutes

how about a US tour announcement instead of reading my drivel?? ;)

i think it's funny that they think milli vanilli is music.....:p
  • Options
    wouldn't the britney thread be other music too?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    bostonlou wrote:
    wouldn't the britney thread be other music too?

once again lou, it's not music
  • Options
    the "real people" singing in milli vanilli were like 40 year old session singers. that was the whole idea. have them sing and the 2 young guys be the "face".
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    girl you know its true.

ooh, ooh, ooh,

i love you.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    blame it on the rain.......
  • Options
    I thought they got more than just two singers to do it for them. If you listen to different songs, they don't sound like the same people singing.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    It's sad that image plays such a huge role in how popular a pop star is. People didn't want to see a fat guy and an old skinny guy singing "Girl you know it's true" I guess. I wouldn't have cared. I actually kind of liked them at the time and I don't see how Rob and Fab could have been cooler!
  • Options
    jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    gabers wrote:
    It's sad that image plays such a huge role in how popular a pop star is. People didn't want to see a fat guy and an old skinny guy singing "Girl you know it's true" I guess. I wouldn't have cared. I actually kind of liked them at the time and I don't see how Rob and Fab could have been cooler!

Anyone remember when Blues Traveler came out with that video that featured "good looking" people in the band instead of the actual band members? That was classic....

BTW, I had the Milli Vanilli album on cassette when I was about 10 yrs old. And I am somewhat ashamed of that.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    To this day I don't think either one was Vanilli.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    The Behind the Music about Milli Vanilli was hillarious. They had the clip of Girl You Know Its True when the record started to skip while they were on stage. The one guy went with it at first and acted like he was singing girl you know its, girl you know its, girl you know its....then just gave up and ran off stage.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    From what I understand they did try to go on singing "for real" and it didn't go over. One of the guys ended up commiting suicide because of the fall-out from the whole ordeal. Kinda sad. The people who should have really been put to death are the record company people who came up with the idea of "Milli Vanilli."
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Sathogwa wrote:
    From what I understand they did try to go on singing "for real" and it didn't go over. One of the guys ended up commiting suicide because of the fall-out from the whole ordeal. Kinda sad.
    Yeah, you understand correctly. Their real singing was horrible judging from the clips I've heard and they got crucified by the critics because it sucked so much.

Honestly though, when you heard them speak in interviews you had to know it wasn't them singing. You don't go from a rather odd and sometimes garbled accent to singing without an accent. Then again, hindsight is 20/20.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    culot4 wrote:
    The Behind the Music about Milli Vanilli was hillarious. They had the clip of Girl You Know Its True when the record started to skip while they were on stage. The one guy went with it at first and acted like he was singing girl you know its, girl you know its, girl you know its....then just gave up and ran off stage.
    yeah, that was a funny segment

Does it still come on or has it been relegated to VH1 Classic? Anyways, I miss that show.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Just watched this last night, it was good…

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Still love those songs, they are such a core part of my pop memories. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    There has always been an unauthentic undercurrent to a lot of pop music, whether it be Brill Building, Motown, or the Wrecking Crew. It's still going on with the K-pop stuff right now. I don't think it's a coincidence that "grunge" became popular shortly after the Milli Vanilli scandal. People were looking for more authenticity, but it wasn't long before people turned back to manufactured pop acts like Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys. People like to be entertained to escape reality. I don't know if the whole TRL period (which was manufactured hit making at its worst) would be as popular without 9/11 and its aftermath. The indignation and the vitriol spewed by the journalists at the Rob & Fab news conference comes off as hypocritical. If anything, the scandal should have informed the masses of how low the recording industry will actually go.
  • Options
    There has always been an unauthentic undercurrent to a lot of pop music, whether it be Brill Building, Motown, or the Wrecking Crew. It's still going on with the K-pop stuff right now. I don't think it's a coincidence that "grunge" became popular shortly after the Milli Vanilli scandal. People were looking for more authenticity, but it wasn't long before people turned back to manufactured pop acts like Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys. People like to be entertained to escape reality. I don't know if the whole TRL period (which was manufactured hit making at its worst) would be as popular without 9/11 and its aftermath. The indignation and the vitriol spewed by the journalists at the Rob & Fab news conference comes off as hypocritical. If anything, the scandal should have informed the masses of how low the recording industry will actually go.
    Brilliant.

Martha Washington, I believe thats her name, sued quite a few bands for using her voice but not her likeness.  She was like Akon at one point, her voice was on EVERYTHING.

The girl in C&C music factory was not her voice.
    The girl in Black Box was not her voice.
    Her name was finally credited in a Marky Mark song

It was Martha.

I watched Madonna lip synch for years.
    I was upset to learn that Whitney Houston, perhaps the best ever to do it, performed the National Anthem lip synching...

We can go on and on about this.