Options

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
edited March 2010 in Other Music
I just wanted to dedicate a thread to this timeless classic of an album. There is no album that takes me back to my youth quite like this one does. From 1983 onward this album has been a part of my life. There is not a time period from 1983 onward where these songs were not marking my life in one way or another. I have so many years of memories of listening to this album with many different groups of friends. I have over the years owned this album on cassette, CD, and most recently on LP. I am spinning it now.

Every single song, from beginning to end, this is a classic American album.

If you are a fan of this album, let it be know here. Thanks for listening. :mrgreen:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Love it...saw the Femmes at Carnegie hall 1993!
    PA 104.5FM -young DJ has discovered them...I forgot how awesome they are!
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    I'm a fan although haven't listened to them in years, you've reminded me though, will have to seek it out. :-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Awesome indeed, Denise!

Seek it out, Morello!!!

Viva la Violent Femmes!!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    great band. sux Brian and Gordon are in the middle of a publishing copyright dispute. I'd love to see them live. Sadly, I haven't yet. Their live Viva Wisconsin is really good.

Anyone have any recommendations for some later works like late 90s early 2000s?
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    i love this album!!!!so great music in it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I love the Violent femmes. So many people I know don't like them and I can't figure out why.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,962
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Saw them in their early days in a seedy club in San Jose and they nearly lived up to their name.  They came on so late that by the time they finally hit the stage the crowded steaming club crowd was seething.  I was sure a murder or two were about to commence.  But once they got going, they ripped the places up.  Impressive! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,854

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,854
    I saw them at Woodstock during the day and was cool to hear blister in the sun while I wandered around. They added some dialog to it and it really fit into my experience that weekend. The Woodstock where there were no riots.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:

Sure wish I could remember the name of that club!
    Loujoe said:
    I saw them at Woodstock during the day and was cool to hear blister in the sun while I wandered around. They added some dialog to it and it really fit into my experience that weekend. The Woodstock where there were no riots.

Such a great song!
    No riots?  What a Violent Femmes show without a riot, haha!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    We saw them in Detroit in 2021, and it was a fantastic show. I have been listening to them up and down in the past ages ago, and it was so awesome to sing along to pretty much every song. I would always want to go to see them again.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,279
    This album is a timeless classic. If you're GenX from the Midwest, this album captured the spirit of that time.
    In high school, I pranked a local DJ -- called up and asked him to play "Add It Up." The screech of the needle on the record player at the start of the third verse told me he'd never heard the song before. =)  (Cue my kids saying: You called? On a phone? What needle? What's a record player?)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    This album is a timeless classic. If you're GenX from the Midwest, this album captured the spirit of that time.
    In high school, I pranked a local DJ -- called up and asked him to play "Add It Up." The screech of the needle on the record player at the start of the third verse told me he'd never heard the song before. =)  (Cue my kids saying: You called? On a phone? What needle? What's a record player?)

Haha!  I can just hear it... "Why can't I get just one fu..eeerrrrrrrrrriiiiippp!
    :lol:

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    A buddy of mine, Black Guy Fawkes, is opening up for them tomorrow in New Haven. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    I like American music…
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,535
    Our youth soundtrack..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    I like American music…
    "we like all kinds of music"
  • Options
    I like American music…
    😀
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I like American music…
    😀
    "but I like American music best, bayyybeeeeeeee!"
  • Options
    Bayyyyyybeeeee in that lower register! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,279
    I saw a t-shirt the other day that I just had to buy: "I forget what eight was for."
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,059
    I saw a t-shirt the other day that I just had to buy: "I forget what eight was for."
    I'd buy it too.