Glen Hansard-Guitars, Vocals
Josh Kliinghoffer-Guitars, Vocals, Keyboards
Abe Laboriel Jr.-Drums, Vocals
Andrew Watt-Guitars, Vocals

Walk On Music:
Ed onstage 8:29
Ed offstage 10:25

01. I’ll Be Waiting
02. Room At The Top-(Petty) (Ed stops the song for a minute to address issue in audience)
03. The Dark-(another stop for crowd safety)
04.  Invincible
05.  Long Way w/ Harper Vedder & Clementine (another stop for crowd safety) {while waiting for okay from security they quietly play Here Comes The Sun-(Harrison) for about 45 seconds. Then restart Long Way)
06. Brother The Cloud
07. Fallout Today
08. Wishlist/Waiting On A Friend-(Jagger/Richards) 41 seconds
09. The Haves
10. Not For You
11. Lukin
12. Try
13. Rose Of Jericho
14. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 1:41
15. Isn’t It A Pity/Hey Jude-(Lennon, McCartney) 1:35  w/ Holly Laessig, Jess Wolf-from the band Lucius

16. Just Breathe (Dedicated to lost friend)
17. One-(U2 cover) duet with Glen Hansard
18. Precious-(Hynde)
19. Just Like Heaven-(Smith, Gallup, Thompson, Williams, Tolhurst) The Cure
20. Rocking In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    LizosaurusRexLizosaurusRex Bend, OR Posts: 35
    edited October 2023
    Omfg that was fun. They were all on fire.
    Post edited by LizosaurusRex on
  • Options
    One? That must have been awesome. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    One? That must have been awesome. 
    There was video of them rehearsing it on Thursday. It was awesome. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    edited October 2023
    Unpopular opinion or I maybe I'm preaching to the choir...(and I swear to god Room at the top is cursed) People need to take better care of themselves. There was actually something like 5+ times security had to look into the crowd. This is the most times I've seen Ed have to stop a show. I felt like the rest of the night we were never going to actually get a complete song. And we of course get special treatment because he cares....but they are kind of ruining it for everyone else.  I don't know what some of them are doing. From the ones I saw on the rail it was just too much of whatever. But I hope these people can have some perspective and realize the lead singer literally stopped the show because some people can't take care of themselves and took too much whatever or drank too much whatever...and they need to do better.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,264
    Stove said:
    Unpopular opinion or I maybe I'm preaching to the choir...(and I swear to god Room at the top is cursed) People need to take better care of themselves. There was actually something like 5+ times security had to look into the crowd. This is the most times I've seen Ed have to stop a show.
    The Killers also had to stop their set twice on Friday. Safety has to be the top priority of course, and few people know that better than Ed does.

Sitting in the "VIP Lounge," we saw a number of highly intoxicated people being removed by police/security -- unable to walk/ falling down intoxicated. We don't recall seeing so many people being removed in previous years. It was  wet and cloudy yesterday, so this wasn't heat exhaustion/ sun exposure. I don't know why this was happening, but my perception is that people are getting more messed up than in other years. 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    People are idiots
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    Stove said:
    Unpopular opinion or I maybe I'm preaching to the choir...(and I swear to god Room at the top is cursed) People need to take better care of themselves. There was actually something like 5+ times security had to look into the crowd. This is the most times I've seen Ed have to stop a show.
    The Killers also had to stop their set twice on Friday. Safety has to be the top priority of course, and few people know that better than Ed does.

Sitting in the "VIP Lounge," we saw a number of highly intoxicated people being removed by police/security -- unable to walk/ falling down intoxicated. We don't recall seeing so many people being removed in previous years. It was  wet and cloudy yesterday, so this wasn't heat exhaustion/ sun exposure. I don't know why this was happening, but my perception is that people are getting more messed up than in other years. 

Safety is important. 100%.  It's a credit to security and Ed's relationship with them...you could tell even Ed was getting frustrated by having to stop only 4 songs in, breaking up flow. Once we got past a certain point it was mostly clear. I feel like it's on people as well to monitor their friends and make sure they are doing okay. Never the less, Room At The Top I have not seen performed  in its entirety (since 2019) because someone decided to become overzealous with whatever substance. I worry about people tremendously and I know how scary it must be for Ed & Co and then I'm also conflicted because it also messes with  the night. Beyond this, still a wonderful show and was so happy to see Abe backing Ed. Holy moly! Power house on the skins!
  • Options
    Stove said:
    Stove said:

Safety is important. 100%.  It's a credit to security and Ed's relationship with them...you could tell even Ed was getting frustrated by having to stop only 4 songs in, breaking up flow. Once we got past a certain point it was mostly clear. I feel like it's on people as well to monitor their friends and make sure they are doing okay. Never the less, Room At The Top I have not seen performed  in its entirety (since 2019) because someone decided to become overzealous with whatever substance. I worry about people tremendously and I know how scary it must be for Ed & Co and then I'm also conflicted because it also messes with  the night. Beyond this, still a wonderful show and was so happy to see Abe backing Ed. Holy moly! Power house on the skins!

Yes, Abe the drummer was great, I thought.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    Holy covers. I know they probably sounded great, but damn I would want to hear more Ed/PJ material. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Great collection of talents on the Earthlings. But personally, I’d take Ed solo any given day. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,973
    Great collection of talents on the Earthlings. But personally, I’d take Ed solo any given day. 
    Me too, 100%. Hope we get back to Ed touring solo at some point. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,700
    Totally agree on Eddie solo. Don't really care for the others at all
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    My overall take, after seeing Ed with Earthlings at Ohana in 2021:

The band overall sounded much better. I'm just not a fan of Chad Smith's drumming, I guess, but in 2021 I could hardly hear the music over my vibrating sternum. So big thumbs up to Abe the drummer.

Like the above commenters, I really enjoy an Ed solo show. I like the uke and the mandolin and Ed wishing he had Mike to play guitar for him on Porch. I like the whole vibe of the solo show. There were very talented guys on stage with Ed, great performers, but I miss the solo shows.

"One" was a highlight, really a great cover. I thought "Just Like Heaven" was too hard and fast, tbh -- I'm particular about that song.

I don't want this to be interpreted as complaining/ whining, because that's not how I mean it. Flow/momentum was missing, due to the multiple safety stops and miscommunications on stage. I'm guessing Ed was distracted and upset about the death of his friend, which of course is completely understandable. Speaking as a music parent, I felt like I was watching a rehearsal more than a concert, as a result. It was just choppy, for very real, relatable, human reasons. Sh!t happens, and we soldier on as best we can.
  • Options
    Stove said:
    Unpopular opinion or I maybe I'm preaching to the choir...(and I swear to god Room at the top is cursed) People need to take better care of themselves. There was actually something like 5+ times security had to look into the crowd. This is the most times I've seen Ed have to stop a show. I felt like the rest of the night we were never going to actually get a complete song. And we of course get special treatment because he cares....but they are kind of ruining it for everyone else.  I don't know what some of them are doing. From the ones I saw on the rail it was just too much of whatever. But I hope these people can have some perspective and realize the lead singer literally stopped the show because some people can't take care of themselves and took too much whatever or drank too much whatever...and they need to do better.
    SERIOUSLY. 

I was on the rail/aisle by two of the gates and the people I saw getting pulled out were literally just too faded to stand. Mostly it was 45-50 yr old males last night. Like they'd been drinking all day and then smoked a joint when Ed went on and then suddenly they couldn't stand. Which, that does happen. But...know thyself. Have some self control. That was ridiculous. (Of course I'm not including the one person that actually had a seizure--that was one of the incidents, and it happened right after some flashing lights.)
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I thought it was great with the Earthlings! What an incredibly talented, seasoned bunch of musicians. And they were all having a BLAST together. It was so fun to watch them smiling and laughing and giving each other shit. What a great night. There will be more Ed solo time, but this Earthlings group is special. And WOW give us MORE ABE! He was so fun to watch, and omg no disrespect but I want Matt Cameron to drum like that on PJ songs..... Great energy. 

People really need to keep their shit together and not get so faded. I saw so many people get pulled out, many beyond the handful that Ed stopped the show for. What's the point of going to a fun show by your favorite band just to get so faded you don't remember it anyway? I'll never understand that.

(Edited for autocorrect typo)
  • Options
    Also lol at Ed forgetting how to play Better Man mid-song. 

Of all songs to forget.

I got it on video. Too funny. "Now I'm about to get yelled at by the boss." Smooth.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    [Deleted]
    Post edited by LizosaurusRex on
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 250
    Did Ed pop up at all on Sunday?  
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    why no fan view thread for Deaf Charlie?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    This was my first Ohana, but I've seen both Ed Solo many times, and the Earthlings once before.

I thought it was good show with some great moments. I would obviously rather have heard more PJ and less Earthlings tracks, but it is what it is. I thought Room At The Top, Invincible, and Long Way were great. Try was totally insane and crazy... almost too much. 

The Pearl Jam songs were excellent. The highlight of night was probably Not For You and it's transition into Lukin. It was totally seamless and unexpected. I think this band does transitions pretty well and it adds a new dimension to the songs that PJ doesn't do (anymore). The covers were also pretty epic. One was better then U2 - Glen Hansard added an Irish tone that elevated the whole song, Just like heaven was shocking. I would never have thought Eddie would/could do a cure cover. It sounded great. Isn’t It A Pity/Hey Jude was also just such a left-field surprise and sounded amazing with the Lucsious girls.

My only complaint is that there weren't enough EV Acoustic or PJ songs for a casual fan or newcomer, because I was with my sister-in-law who has never seen Eddie or PJ, and I'm not convinced she was all in afterwards. She LOVED rockin in the free world though.

All in all Ohana is the best festival you could ask for. It's tiny, beautiful, tons of food, seating, views, and activities, and Eddie's spirit is plentiful.
  • Options
    Ohana yaaaa

could only make it on Sun. 

Such a sweet festy. 

• Options
    Eddie and Foo were amazing. A bit disappointed Eddie didn’t come out to do a song with Foo, otherwise it was pretty awesome. 
  • Options
    RayncroftRayncroft Seattle Posts: 3
    This years line up was incredible! The Chicks, Pretenders, Japanese Breakfast were highlights. Foo always a treat. Blown away by Lucius and their ToUotR serenade in the middle of the crowd. I saw Eddie taking video from side stage on that one. And again saw him rocking out to CH & the Pretenders side stage. I think that is part of why I love this festival so much. So fun to see your fave musicians enjoying the music too. Everyone is childlike and tapping into the joy.  I too was bummed we didn’t see Ed join Foo or sing Golden State with Natalie from The Chicks. But then I realized that he probably just wants to be a fan too sometimes. He’s coming off PJ tour where he had the flu for some of it. Drummer ABE was definitely a bonus! I love Chad Smith but this was a treat, especially the lil Stones riff at the end of Wishlist. So great to see Eddie and Glenn rock out together. Hoping we’ll see them do more acoustic, uke stuff like in 2018 in future Ohanafests. Missed hearing Into the Wild songs. Can’t wait to see Ed at EB fundraiser in Seattle in a few weeks!
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 250
    Did either Ed or Dave mention the other during their sets?  
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,956
    ontheroad said:
    Did either Ed or Dave mention the other during their sets?  
    Dave gave a shout out to Ed for all the early support. I think Ed mentioned Foos for tomorrow towards the end of the Earthlings set. 
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    Chrissy thanked Ed & Dave. 

Pretenders opening some foo stadium shows next summer. 

Twin Cities gettin best line-up!!
  • Options
    izayuizayu Posts: 3
    I believe it was before the Foo’s played “Breakout”, where he thanked Eddie for having the Foo Fighters play with “Ed and his band” in ‘95, on the Foo’s first tour. Looks like it was a “Hovercraft” tour (Beth Liebling)
    izayu