Options

SEPT. 30 - National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - 🇹🇩

SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,546
edited October 2023 in A Moving Train

"The National Day of Truth and Reconciliation is a statutory holiday. The third annual...day, which coincides with Orange Shirt Day, is meant to bring awareness and reflection on the legacy of Canada’s residential school system, which aimed to erase the languages and cultures of the Indigenous peoples of this land." - CBC

Kiʔsuʔk kykyit. As a Ktunaxa intergenerational residential school survivor, waiting for family child remains to return home from school, I thought I'd post a list of learning resources compiled by Indigenous advisors to deepen understandings. 

See my adapted list and links below.

Post edited by Spunkie on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    tish said:
    Awww, some competing BC school volleyball teams are not donning their regular jerseys today, but are sporting orange ones instead. 🧡
    I don’t own an official orange shirt myself and I’m adamant about supporting First Nations when I do purchase one, would you happen to have any advice on how to identify a reliable producer in that regard? I really don’t want any non-FN to profit from my purchase (though I might end up buying at one of the major retailers I’ll admit).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    edited October 2023
    Over lunch today, my wife said, "My purple haired lady posted in her blog today about the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, a day set aside to acknowledge to terrible things done to indigenous people in Canada." (Her "purple haired lady" is a woman from Alberta who makes her living designing knitting patterns.)  I thought that was cool. 
    It also reminded me of something that always strikes me as unsettling which is that, as bad a the indigenous were treated in Canada, it was so bad in the lower 48 states here that some tribes and clans tried to escape to Canada.  But do we have such a day of recognition here in the U.S.?"  Nooooo, not really.  We have "Native American Day" which most people have never heard of and is barely recognized if at all.  Oh, but we have "Columbus Day" and "Thanksgiving."  That's beyond sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    tish said:
    Check your local Friendship Center. Or Google Phyllis - orange shirt day (the story writer who had her orange shirt her grandma gave her taken away at res school).
    Thank you.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    brianlux said:
    Over lunch today, my wife said, "My purple haired lady posted in her blog today about the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, a day set aside to acknowledge to terrible things done to indigenous people in Canada." (Her "purple haired lady" is a woman from Alberta who makes her living designing knitting patterns.)  I thought that was cool. 
    It also reminded me of something that always strikes me as unsettling which is that, as bad a the indigenous were treated in Canada, it was so bad in the lower 48 states here that some tribes and clans tried to escape to Canada.  But do we have such a day of recognition here in the U.S.?"  Nooooo, not really.  We have "Native American Day" which most people have never heard of and is barely recognized if at all.  Oh, but we have "Columbus Day" and "Thanksgiving."  That's beyond sad.

• Options
    tish said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks B, you still da best!

I found a website that says the US does observe it. Maybe not as much as we do? BC made it mandatory for teachers in our schools to include First Nation, MĂ©tis and Inuit teachings so as not to starve the cultural learnings too terribly from the little ones.

I worked in a school and the principal was going to group in orange shirt day with pink shirt day and some other colored shirt day. I said - No. September 30th is orange shirt day. Some superintendent gave me an orange shirt that the principals all got which states: September 30th is Orange Shirt Day. They picked this time of year because after the apples started falling, the wagons would come around and gather all the children.

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/every-child-matters-september-30-orange-shirt-day
     https://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/every-child-matters-september-30-orange-shirt-day#:~:text=Orange Shirt Day, also called,Day extends from the St.

And thank you for this excellent thread, Tish.  You are awesome!

I really hope we do increase our Indigenous people's day observations and more importantly, learn more about and acknowledge the plight of indigenous peoples.  Threads like this help big time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Well I did a search to see what we (forum) had so far but nothing with the national day in its' title. There was a bit of stuff from Gord Downie's - secret path that came up. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    edited October 2023
    brianlux said:

Well at least Americans gave them land to live on, but without proper plumbing and electricity of course. And the ability to borrow against the lands value. No need to worry about how badly we treated native Americans, when trump wins next year he will start rounding up Milley and democrats for imprisonment and possibly execution. Don’t need to be indigenous to worry.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Well at least Americans gave them land to live on, but without proper plumbing and electricity of course. And the ability to borrow against the lands value. No need to worry about how badly we treated native Americans, when trump wins next year he will start rounding up Milley and democrats for imprisonment and possibly execution. Don’t need to be indigenous to worry.

People being rounded up by a dictator is certainly something that has happened a number of time in history but I'm not going to live in that paranoid state of mind.  I don't mean that as a put-down aimed at you.  I can understand why it is tempting to have those feelings.  But it's not good to get stuck in fear.  Better to work a little harder to make sure Trump does NOT get reelected.  Lets move forward, not backwards!

As for not needing to worry about the indigenous, look at it this way:  Anytime things get problematic for white Americans, it worse for people of color and indigenous people.  As for giving Native Americans land, in most cases that is about like as if you had a very nice comfortable home on a few acres of land and someone came along and kicked you out, kept your house, dragged you down a crusty alley somewhere and said, "Here, this doghouse behind the machine shop is yours.  Good luck."

• Options
    ^ Couldn't have said it better, myself. That first half of the first sentence is quite the narrative!
  • Options
    edited October 2023

• Options
    tish said:
    Here are a few Indigenous learning resources:

Reflect on the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples:
    https://www.un.org/development/desa/indigenouspeoples/declaration-on-the-rights-of-indigenous-peoples.html

Reflect on the Calls to Action by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission:
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/indigenous-people/aboriginal-peoples-documents/calls_to_action_english2.pdf

Read the story behind Orange Shirt Day:
    https://orangeshirtday.org/phyllis-story/

Residential School Survivor Stories: https://legacyofhope.ca/wherearethechildren/stories/

Enhance your learning of local Indigenous languages:
    https://www.firstvoices.com/home

Read the final report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls:
    https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/final-report/

Learn about the witness blanket:
    https://humanrights.ca/exhibition/witness-blanket-preserving-legacy

Learn about the local land and learn locally.

Some good resources there, Tish, thanks.  The second one you listed,  "Reflect on the Calls to Action by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission" very much illustrates how broad the scope of action needed is. 

When I worked at the used bookstore, one of our regular customers was a Native American and, years ago when I started to do some self-educating about indigenous Americans, I somewhat sheepishly and naively asked him if he could recommend some books for me to read.  He simply stated, "Well, a lot of the books you have here are written by white people.  I would start by reading things written by Indians." 
    There are some none native writers who have some some fine work writing about the history of indigenous peoples (Kent Nerburn is one I particularly like), but this fellows suggestion lead me to discovering some really excellent Native American writers including James Welch, Paul Chaat Smith, and the prolific Novelist/poet.essayist Sherman Alexie, whose books were banned in Arizona sin 2012, and whose Reservation Blues is particularly fine.  
    Alexie's response to his book banning was:
    "Let's get one thing out of the way: Mexican immigration is an oxymoron. Mexicans are indigenous. So, in a strange way, I'm pleased that the racist folks of Arizona have officially declared, in banning me alongside Urrea, Baca, and Castillo, that their anti-immigration laws are also anti-Indian. I'm also strangely pleased that the folks of Arizona have officially announced their fear of an educated underclass. You give those brown kids some books about brown folks and what happens? Those brown kids change the world. In the effort to vanish our books, Arizona has actually given them enormous power. Arizona has made our books sacred documents now."

• Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

People being rounded up by a dictator is certainly something that has happened a number of time in history but I'm not going to live in that paranoid state of mind.  I don't mean that as a put-down aimed at you.  I can understand why it is tempting to have those feelings.  But it's not good to get stuck in fear.  Better to work a little harder to make sure Trump does NOT get reelected.  Lets move forward, not backwards!

As for not needing to worry about the indigenous, look at it this way:  Anytime things get problematic for white Americans, it worse for people of color and indigenous people.  As for giving Native Americans land, in most cases that is about like as if you had a very nice comfortable home on a few acres of land and someone came along and kicked you out, kept your house, dragged you down a crusty alley somewhere and said, "Here, this doghouse behind the machine shop is yours.  Good luck."

More just stating like it is with a little bit of sarcasm.

Years ago I recall hearing Gord Downie talk about the First Nations issue " we cannot call ourselves strong and free if we still ignore the hurt and pain that an entire nation of people feel"

At that time not knowing much about this issue being from South of the border,  I recall being blown away about how bad it was, literally tearing children from the arms of parents.
  • Options
    The more I read and learn of what was done, the more disgusted I am. And then I think about what it would take to have true reconciliation and whether its even possible. Not that I'm against trying or for the efforts being made but what does it, true reconciliation, look like in the end? And the only thing I've come up with, so far, is for all indigenous people to be left alone for 10,000 years in the hope that they'd be able to return to what they were before European contact. The damage that's been done and continues to be done makes me think its insurmountable. Again, I fully support the efforts being made and I'm disgusted by what little I've learned about what happened in the past. The residential schools just being one aspect of that horror. Just one such continuing injustice:

Police think a landfill holds women’s bodies. Why won’t they search it?

The two women had been missing for more than seven months when police called their loved ones to a meeting.

The families of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran had taped up missing person posters and canvassed the areas around Winnipeg, Manitoba, where the Indigenous women spent time. No bit of intel was too small for cases R22-23037 and R22-50231. “Have you seen this woman?” they’d ask anyone. Some said they had.

But those tips led nowhere. So as the meeting with police last December approached, Kirstin Witwicki, a cousin of Harris’s, was uneasy but holding out hope. “You make bargains in your head,” she said, “to rationalize things that you know don’t make logical sense.”

What came next was a grim “blur of information.”

Harris, 39, and Myran, 26, members of the Long Plain First Nation, had been the victims of a serial killer who had preyed on Indigenous women, police said. Investigators had determined in June, soon after their disappearances, that their remains had been dumped in the Prairie Green landfill north of Winnipeg, police said, but it wasn’t safe or feasible to search it.

Other forensic analysts dispute that conclusion. Now the families are locked in a dispute with authorities over whether to search — and the treatment of murdered and missing Indigenous women and girls generally.

Refusing to search, family members and their advocates say, betrays Canada’s pledges to reconcile with Indigenous people and address the disproportionately high rates of violence against Indigenous women and girls, which a national inquiry recently called a “genocide.”

“We can easily talk about reconciliation,” said Cathy Merrick, grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs. “But there’s no action with it, so it’s meaningless.”

Canadian officials have “made so many promises to Indigenous people,” said Jorden Myran, who was raised with Marcedes and calls her a sister. “This is just showing that nothing has changed. 
 If this was a White woman in the landfill, there would have been no question that there would have been a search.”

Police charged Jeremy Skibicki, 35, in December with first-degree murder in Harris’s and Myran’s deaths. He was already in custody for allegedly killing Rebecca Contois, 24, from the Crane River First Nation. Her obituary noted her “great love for animals.”

Skibicki has also been charged with murdering an unidentified woman who police say was Indigenous. Elders have named her Buffalo Woman. Her remains have not been located.

Skibicki has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Police recovered Contois’s remains from a garbage bin in Winnipeg and the Brady Road landfill. Conditions for searching that landfill, Winnipeg police forensics chief Cam MacKid told reporters in December, were “preferable.”

The debris was loose, he said, not compacted. Only a few hours had passed between when Contois’s remains were dumped and when police became aware of it.

Waste at the Prairie Green landfill, in contrast, is covered with thousands of tons of wet heavy construction clay and compacted by heavy machinery, MacKid said. The presence of asbestos poses safety risks. The number of animal bones presents another challenge.

Further complicating matters, police say they believe the remains of Harris and Myran had spent 34 days in the landfill before investigators realized it. During that time, some 10,000 truckloads of waste were dumped there.

“When it comes up that there might be human remains at a landfill, we approach that with the mind-set that we’re going to be searching,” MacKid told reporters. But after studying the site, he said, “we made the very difficult decision as a service that [it] wasn’t operationally feasible to conduct a search.”

Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson has backed that decision.

That’s not sitting well with the victims’ families, who note authorities’ willingness to conduct complex searches elsewhere, including the year-long search in 2002 of a 14-acre pig farm in British Columbia owned by the country’s most prolific serial killer. It uncovered the DNA of 33 women.

With $368,000 in funding from the federal government, the families and their advocates tapped several forensic analysts to conduct their own study on whether a search of the Prairie Green landfill might be possible.

In a report released in July, the analysts concluded that there are “considerable risks” to such an operation, including exposure to toxic chemicals such as asbestos and asphyxiants such as methane, but they can be mitigated. A search, they said, is “feasible.”

They also said it could take as long as 36 months and cost as much as $184 million in Canadian dollars — $135 million in U.S. dollars — and “a successful outcome is not guaranteed.”

Still, analysts said, not searching could cause “considerable distress” to victims’ families.

“It’s pretty clear to most who have read the study that risks can be mitigated, and the search can be conducted safely,” Kristopher Dueck, a forensic consultant who co-chaired the study, told reporters.

Winnipeg police declined to answer questions from The Washington Post.

Stefanson, leader of Manitoba’s Progressive Conservatives, has leaned into the dispute, featuring it prominently in newspaper ads and on billboards ahead of the provincial election Tuesday.

At a debate in September, Stefanson asked New Democratic Party leader Wab Kinew about his support for a search.

“Why are you willing to put $184 million and Manitoba workers at risk for a search without a guarantee?” she asked.

Kinew, who is Indigenous, accused Stefanson of using the dispute to “divide us.”

“At this moment in the province’s history, I think it’s time for us to live up to that phrase: ‘Every child matters,’” he said. “I will balance respect and dignity for these families while also being responsible with the public purse.”

Stefanson has suggested the federal government could take a role. Canada’s chief liaison to Indigenous people called her position “heartless.”

“The federal government’s willing to help,” Marc Miller said in July, when he was minister of Crown-Indigenous relations. “But 
 the government of Canada can’t nationalize a garbage dump or the waste disposal system of the city of Winnipeg.” (Miller has since moved to minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship.)

Stefanson did not respond to a request for comment.

Indigenous women make up 5 percent of women in Canada, but they represented 24 percent of all women homicide victims from 2015 to 2020.

A government-appointed commission said in 2019 that the deaths and disappearances of Indigenous women and girls in Canada amounted to a “race-based genocide.”

The panel issued 231 recommendations, framed as “calls to justice.” Indigenous leaders have said implementation has been slow.

“They’re sitting on somebody’s shelf collecting dust,” Merrick said.

The Harris and Myran families as well as their supporters have set up camps in Winnipeg to honor the women. Elroy Fontaine recently visited Camp Morgan. The body of his older sister, Tina Fontaine, was found in a Manitoba river in 2014 weighed down with rocks. The death of the 15-year-old girl galvanized public attention to the plight of Indigenous women and girls.

The Harris and Myran families traveled to Ottawa in September to meet with federal officials and to demonstrate on Parliament Hill. But they see little progress.

Gary Anandasangaree, Miller’s successor as minister of Crown-Indigenous relations, called the dispute “heart-wrenching.” He urged officials to avoid politicizing it.

“Our government will continue to work in partnership with Indigenous leaders, families, survivors, and communities to support healing and closure,” he said in a statement to The Post.

Harris and Witwicki’s grandmother attended the Portage-la-Prairie residential school, a government-funded, church-run institution that sought to assimilate Indigenous children into White European culture. Residential schoolchildren were punished for speaking their languages or practicing their traditions.

The trauma of that experience, Witwicki said, has been passed down from one generation to the next. Harris struggled with substance abuse and homelessness, her family members have said.

“Unfortunately, she didn’t really have it easy, but she was always very vocal, very feisty, very caring,” Witwicki said. “She had hopes and dreams like everyone else, but the life she was born into [was shaped] by colonization, and unfortunately, that contributed to her ending.”

Jorden Myran has fond memories of going on “adventures” with her sister, a “kindhearted person” who “loved to play jokes and prank people.”

She is hopeful that the election will bring a change in power and a search of the Prairie Green landfill. If not, she said, “we will go in there with our very own people and dig.”

Winnipeg police think landfill holds bodies of missing Indigenous women - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tish said:
    Thanks Bookbri! I'll start here 😀

Good choice, Tish! 
    Another one I really liked (actually, other than Indian Killer, I love all Alexie's books) that you might like too is this one, both heartbreaking and redemptive:
    undefined

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

More just stating like it is with a little bit of sarcasm.

Years ago I recall hearing Gord Downie talk about the First Nations issue " we cannot call ourselves strong and free if we still ignore the hurt and pain that an entire nation of people feel"

At that time not knowing much about this issue being from South of the border,  I recall being blown away about how bad it was, literally tearing children from the arms of parents.

Ahh man, Gord Downie.  What a great guy.  Very sad too lose him too soon.

• Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^Hal...

You think they'll dig for those women in the garbage dump now that Manitoba has elected Canada's first First Nation premier?
    Honestly, I don’t know but I hope so. It’d be the right thing to do. If cost is what is holding it up, charge a per truck fee to offset the cost for as many years as it takes. I haven’t done the math but was surprised by how many truckloads dump in a month. Maybe get the feds and each province to kick in to get started, put a fee structure in place and maybe it won’t cost $100s of millions? I know if that were my loved one in there, I’d be pissed. Those women matter.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Implementing DRIPA with Indigenous place names:

"The Squamish Nation is asking for Mount Garibaldi (on the way to Whistler/Pemberton) be officially recognized by its historic Sáž”wx̱wĂș7mesh snĂ­chim name "Nch'ḵay̓" (in-ch-KAY), which has been used for thousands of years.

It was named in the 1860s by Captain George Henry Richards of the Royal Navy survey to commemorate Italian General Giuseppe Garibaldi, who helped unify Italy in the same decade (but never visited)." - CBC

PJ-"Just gimme some truth".