Options

Anyone Got A Side Hustle?

now that my kids are teenagers, I'm thinking about actually doing something with my extra time and making more money. Anyone got a side hustle? Curious what people do. 
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    I string racquets (tennis, racquetball, squash, badminton, etc) . More of a hobby than a hustle, but some play cash is nice.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I ran an Etsy shop for about 3 or 4 years. I would make stuff for our home, and someone suggested I posted some of it for sale. I didn't think anyone would buy it, but I did pretty well for a while.
    It was fun at first, then just became a second job. I've had it closed for about 5 years now. If there's anything you can make, there's probably a market for it. 
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheRustyGarage?ref=shop_sugg_market
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    I do rideshare every once in awhile (Uber and Lyft). Also doordash/uber eats. Did a lot before Covid, but not as much in the past few years. Maybe like a few times a month.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Adjunct college professor since 2008. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited September 2023
    I don’t know if it’s a ”side hussle” but since February I’ve been working an extra 50% animating on a children’s movie. So working 150% (60 hours) till december. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    My wife like to read business book now and then- thank goodness because I find them tedious at best but she has come up with some good personal finance ideas over the years that has helped us do well considering our modest income.  One of the tips (I think it came from a Guy Kawasaki book but it could have been Warren Buffett or Tony Robbins or someone else), but anyway, the idea was called "winning in the corners" and had all kinds of ideas for making money on the side. 
    One of things she has done is a bit of investing in the stock market.  I am not a fan of the concept at all, but she has done OK and mot made a career of it.  You just have to like that sort of thing.
    When we got married in '04, we already had jobs- her as a used bookstore owner and me at the tail end of working as program assistant at our local college, starting up my own book business in Grass Valley and doing book fares, and helping her out at the store.  But when she related the "winning in the corners" idea to me, I decided to take the plunge and start doing on-line book sales and used vinyl record sales.  Those are good ways to make some extra money if you know what to look for.  Same is true with anything collectible.  If you develop a good feel for what has value, that's the way to go.  I see people with scanners going through books in thrift stores all the time and I'm sure they make some money, but that's a major slog.  They're basically selling books by the pound and wearing themselves out.  It makes more sense to actually know what is worth selling- no matter what it is- preferable something you enjoy be it books, records, art, glass wear, whatever.  Selling something you love is far more enjoyable than merely selling "product".
    That's my 2 cents anyway. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    I have an Only Fans account. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    OnlyFans.com/Juggs'Jugs
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    onlyfans.com/youare
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    brianlux said:
     But when she related the "winning in the corners" idea to me, I decided to take the plunge and start doing on-line book sales and used vinyl record sales.  Those are good ways to make some extra money if you know what to look for.  Same is true with anything collectible.  If you develop a good feel for what has value, that's the way to go.  I see people with scanners going through books in thrift stores all the time and I'm sure they make some money, but that's a major slog.  They're basically selling books by the pound and wearing themselves out.  It makes more sense to actually know what is worth selling- no matter what it is- preferable something you enjoy be it books, records, art, glass wear, whatever.  Selling something you love is far more enjoyable than merely selling "product".
    This IMO is good advice... unless you are skilled at creating something people want, which would result in an etsy shop situation mentioned above...

I have a friend who lost his job at a Manhattan magazine in the 2008 economy mess.  He was into hockey game-worn jerseys.  To get income, he basically put the pedal to the metal on that.  He went to lots of garage sales and thrift stores to find stuff and sells on ebay (I think he is on a few facebook trading/selling groups as well).  It carried over into other stuff like sports apparel and such.  That has been his career since then and I think he has done pretty well for himself.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    I was waiting for someone to make a joke about selling their mouth, butt, armpit, hair, etc....or the images of such parts in action.

You, sir, are the winner!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited September 2023
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I do rideshare every once in awhile (Uber and Lyft). Also doordash/uber eats. Did a lot before Covid, but not as much in the past few years. Maybe like a few times a month.
    That's probably what I would do. A few years ago when we were in Vegas I was impressed by a few of the Uber drivers that seemed to just be retired guys. They probably do OK just driving back and forth from the airport to the strip.

I don't live in an area where Uber is probably in big demand but I always thought that it would be easy to make some money during lunch/dinner via Door Dash. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I do Sports cards and gaming cards.  It's good for grocery money as I don't do it full on.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    MayDay10 said:
    brianlux said:
     But when she related the "winning in the corners" idea to me, I decided to take the plunge and start doing on-line book sales and used vinyl record sales.  Those are good ways to make some extra money if you know what to look for.  Same is true with anything collectible.  If you develop a good feel for what has value, that's the way to go.  I see people with scanners going through books in thrift stores all the time and I'm sure they make some money, but that's a major slog.  They're basically selling books by the pound and wearing themselves out.  It makes more sense to actually know what is worth selling- no matter what it is- preferable something you enjoy be it books, records, art, glass wear, whatever.  Selling something you love is far more enjoyable than merely selling "product".
    This IMO is good advice... unless you are skilled at creating something people want, which would result in an etsy shop situation mentioned above...

I have a friend who lost his job at a Manhattan magazine in the 2008 economy mess.  He was into hockey game-worn jerseys.  To get income, he basically put the pedal to the metal on that.  He went to lots of garage sales and thrift stores to find stuff and sells on ebay (I think he is on a few facebook trading/selling groups as well).  It carried over into other stuff like sports apparel and such.  That has been his career since then and I think he has done pretty well for himself.  

Smart guy, that friend! 
    I've done some selling on eBay (mostly the occasional collectible LP or CD), but I find it a bit too time consuming with all the other stuff I've been doing (doing my Biblio book sales and keep up the small vinyl inventory at the local used bookstore).  But if I were younger and more energetic, I would dive into that or Etsy more.  I've known a number of people who make excellent side money doing both of those.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.