Options

BRICS

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/24/business/saudi-arabia-brics-invitation-intl/index.html

Haven't seen anyone talking about this but it could turn into something. 

Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa formed a group whom are some of the fastest growing economic economies today and will most likely be in charge of things later on.

They announced the joining of Argentina, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and UAE.

If they get together and start signing new treaties and leave the US out we could see ourselves on the other end of embargos and supply chain issues in the future.  

If we don't get off oil it could be a problem and OPEC might want to pursue other interests.

There is talk of BRICS doing their own world bank.

It's something we should be fearful of.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/24/business/saudi-arabia-brics-invitation-intl/index.html

Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa formed a group whom are some of the fastest growing economic economies today and will most likely be in charge of things later on.

They announced the joining of Argentina, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and UAE.

If they get together and start signing new treaties and leave the US out we could see ourselves on the other end of embargos and supply chain issues in the future.  

If we don't get off oil it could be a problem and OPEC might want to pursue other interests.

Thoughts?

I'll have to delve into this further when I have more time, but skimming through the article, this does not sound like something that bodes well.  Putin certainly is all for it, and that alone concerns me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    brianlux said:

Thoughts?

I'll have to delve into this further when I have more time, but skimming through the article, this does not sound like something that bodes well.  Putin certainly is all for it, and that alone concerns me.
    It's been long known that both China and Russia have been wanting to make a central bank with one currency and this might be part of that plot.

Take away the power of the US dollar and we are in big trouble.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Thoughts?

It's been long known that both China and Russia have been wanting to make a central bank with one currency and this might be part of that plot.

Take away the power of the US dollar and we are in big trouble.

Yeah, I think they've been moving that way for some time.  I have to wonder, what do we have that in the long run will work to maintain a balance of power.  Chick-fil-A, lol? 

Even if we move more toward electric cars and solar panels and such, those things too rely on oil and mining for all the plastic, rare  earths, metals, etc. that go into them.  Can we produce those things on our own without pumping money into those countries (like the one that make up BRICS) that have those necessary resources?  I don't know, but I don't think so. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    India and China are going to be major adversaries sooner than later as China descends into its demographics crisis
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    i think it was only a matter of time. 

given our history of meddling in the affairs of other countries, i am surprised they have not started this process sooner.

definitely gives me pause, and i agree, this is something that should have us a little more than "concerned".

the question i have is, is there anything we can do about it?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071

given our history of meddling in the affairs of other countries, i am surprised they have not started this process sooner.

definitely gives me pause, and i agree, this is something that should have us a little more than "concerned".

I seriously thought that maybe all the people coming in from the border was an attempt to up our population and increase spending and output.  Is that far fetched?  I mean we are what 4th in population?

With more spending power we would still have leverage over other countries.

Just a wild thought.  Probably has no legs...
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Well there is what we always do.  Unjust wars and coups! Geopolitical destabilization.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:

Well there is what we always do.  Unjust wars and coups! Geopolitical destabilization.

That's been our motto more than once.  "When all else fails, start a war!"

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    There are elements of what happened in the 1930's going on today. Does not bode well for events to come in the next decade.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    There are elements of what happened in the 1930's going on today. Does not bode well for events to come in the next decade.

Mu pop grew up in the depression and always told us they had it figured out so it could never happen again.  Well, maybe not exactly, but things could get mighty shaky one way or another, that for sure.  Let's hope not though.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,906
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

Mu pop grew up in the depression and always told us they had it figured out so it could never happen again.  Well, maybe not exactly, but things could get mighty shaky one way or another, that for sure.  Let's hope not though.

check out the limited series podcast , Rachel Maddow presents: Ultra . Fascinating look into the history of this stuff.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

check out the limited series podcast , Rachel Maddow presents: Ultra . Fascinating look into the history of this stuff.

Looks interesting, thanks!

• Options
    Good article.  Saw another one that claims the countries are hoarding gold to establish a new currency.  I've heard that before but this article describes how that would still prove diifficult in dethrowning the dollar.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/miltonezrati/2023/09/04/will-the-expanded-brics-challenge-the-western-order/?sh=74bc279d46ee