Options

Reservists called to active duty.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,913
    Without seeing WHY this was done , I would imagine it may be to offset recruiting shortfalls.

leaving the above thought and posting this article.... appears preperatory and wise.....

Biden orders 3,000 reservists to be ready for Europe deployments

It’s not clear whether the troops will actually be deployed, but it suggests the U.S. military presence in Europe is under strain.

President Joe Biden addresses the public

The potential callups come on the heels of the NATO summit in Lithuania this week, where President Joe Biden and other allies pledged to make 300,000 troops ready for rapid deployment within 30 days or less. | Mindaugas Kulbis/AP Photo

By Lara Seligman and Paul McLeary

07/13/2023 05:56 PM EDT

President Joe Biden has authorized the military to call up 3,000 reserve troops to support operations in Europe after tens of thousands were sent there last year after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a top general said Thursday.

Although it is not clear whether Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin plans to actually deploy these reservists anytime soon, the move suggests that the U.S. military’s training mission in Europe, along with the deployment of several new brigades after the invasion, has stretched active-duty forces.

“This reaffirms the unwavering support and commitment to the defense of NATO’s eastern flank in the wake of Russia’s illegal and unprovoked war on Ukraine,” Lt. Gen. Douglas Sims, the director of operations for the Joint Staff, told reporters on Thursday.

While the move gives the military’s European Command “greater flexibility” to defend the continent, it will not change the actual force levels in Europe, Capt. Bill Speaks, a spokesperson for U.S. European Command, said in a statement.

The president’s order also for the first time designates Operation Atlantic Resolve, the U.S. effort in Europe, as a contingency operation, which allows the Pentagon to call up reserve forces and implement sped-up acquisition authorities to supply those troops with equipment.

The designation not only allows the president to mobilize reservists, but also ensures they are paid and supported as active-duty troops. It also provides support for families and dependents of any reservists who might be deployed.

continues...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I sympathize and to a degree support the Ukrainian nation in light of the attack by Russia, but I've lived my whole life in a country that goes out of it's way to police the world and that's just not something I can get on board with.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I sympathize and to a degree support the Ukrainian nation in light of the attack by Russia, but I've lived my whole life in a country that goes out of it's way to police the world and that's just not something I can get on board with.

Brian, this is about readiness. Do note that Biden has yet to do anything arbitrarily or on his(our) own. Has rebuilt or reinforced long standing alliances. Making room for our allies to shoulder their part of the burden. Seeking consensus. Since W and Rumsfeld's stupid decision to shrink our military AND fight 2 wars while doing it, we have been behind the goals set to meet any challenge. You saw this with the wave of Navy accidents etc, forced and extended deployments in all branches., Some soldiers doing multiple tours in forward action areas. That takes a toll on readiness. Readiness which is or should be the foundation of any nations military services. Training and maintenance of equipment are vital , absolutely critical to readiness.

These call ups can help achieve that readiness.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Brian, this is about readiness. Do note that Biden has yet to do anything arbitrarily or on his(our) own. Has rebuilt or reinforced long standing alliances. Making room for our allies to shoulder their part of the burden. Seeking consensus. Since W and Rumsfeld's stupid decision to shrink our military AND fight 2 wars while doing it, we have been behind the goals set to meet any challenge. You saw this with the wave of Navy accidents etc, forced and extended deployments in all branches., Some soldiers doing multiple tours in forward action areas. That takes a toll on readiness. Readiness which is or should be the foundation of any nations military services. Training and maintenance of equipment are vital , absolutely critical to readiness.

These call ups can help achieve that readiness.

Good points worth considering, M.  Thanks.

• Options
    Also want to note, this puts in place for Sec Def IF it necessary to implement is my understanding. Alerts those reserve members to make necessary prep at home ,work etc in case.....