Options

Darwin Awards

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,918
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,766
    mickeyrat said:

"Hey honey, whadda you wanna do for the 4th?"
    "I dunno?  Maybe blow up the kids and some friends?"
    :lol:  Brilliant! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

"Hey honey, whadda you wanna do for the 4th?"
    "I dunno?  Maybe blow up the kids and some friends?"
    :lol:  Brilliant! 

lol....these are the best
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    I have heard of this happening.  I have seen a minor one happen too.  I have never seen one this big go off like that.  I am very thankful that we have cameras everywhere to capture moments like this, lol!
  • Options
    I was actually at a party about 35 years ago where my friend decided to light a bag of leftover fireworks on fire.

It looked a lot like the above except everyone basically expected it so no one was close to the explosions. There was shit bouncing off of neighbors houses though. Real bad idea. And he did it really late from what I remember...like 1am or something

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,567

• Options
    I was actually at a party about 35 years ago where my friend decided to light a bag of leftover fireworks on fire.

It looked a lot like the above except everyone basically expected it so no one was close to the explosions. There was shit bouncing off of neighbors houses though. Real bad idea. And he did it really late from what I remember...like 1am or something
    We would do that with jumping jacks and firecrackers.  Nothing that went in the air.

My friends father gave him some fireworks to light up.  He had a mortar.  Had no idea what it was.  He lit it and it blew up like that rocket did.  The father ran over and gave us ALL a lesson in aerials.  Thankfully we moved away from it when he lit it.
  • Options
    One time on the way to class in middle school, a friend and I threw an M-80s under a man hole cover (a good sized one- probably a good 24 inches across) to see if we could get it to lift off the road.  I lifted, he tossed, we ran.  We were surprised to actually get a couple of inches of lift on that thing. Nothing like mid 1960s M-80s!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    One time on the way to class in middle school, a friend and I threw an M-80s under a man hole cover (a good sized one- probably a good 24 inches across) to see if we could get it to lift off the road.  I lifted, he tossed, we ran.  We were surprised to actually get a couple of inches of lift on that thing. Nothing like mid 1960s M-80s!
    When I was younger we had "block busters".  These were bigger than m80's.  This would take off your hand.  

I remember being scared to light them but they were fun when you finally did.

These would destroy anything you put it in.  Garbage can, mailbox, Big Wheel.  I noticed them stopped being sold around 1990 or so.  I guess they were too powerful?
  • Options

We would do that with jumping jacks and firecrackers.  Nothing that went in the air.

My friends father gave him some fireworks to light up.  He had a mortar.  Had no idea what it was.  He lit it and it blew up like that rocket did.  The father ran over and gave us ALL a lesson in aerials.  Thankfully we moved away from it when he lit it.
    I'll never forget the first time my friend lit a roman candle and aimed it at me. I had never even considered doing something like that. 

Good times

• Options

I'll never forget the first time my friend lit a roman candle and aimed it at me. I had never even considered doing something like that. 

Good times
    lol, I had a guy I knew in HS start to do that.  I didn't move and told him if you hit me I'm going to beat the shit out of you.  He made sure to miss.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    When I was younger we had "block busters".  These were bigger than m80's.  This would take off your hand.  

These would destroy anything you put it in.  Garbage can, mailbox, Big Wheel.  I noticed them stopped being sold around 1990 or so.  I guess they were too powerful?

"Block busters"  Holy moly, those sound like one step down from dynamite!
    We were relatively careful with these things and I nor any of my friends got hurt... until one day in my sophomore or junior year is HS, I noticed guy I new hadn't shown up for several days.  I asked a common friend if had seen this other kid.  Turns out the missing kid really did blow off his hand, about half of it anyway, while fooling around with a pipe bomb he'd made.  The kid finally showed up one day with his hand all bandaged up.  It was really sad- this guy was really nice- kind a big dumb teddy bear kind of a guy- super likeable.  He was totally depressed.  I don't know if he ever got over it.  Sometimes these things really do go too far.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

We were relatively careful with these things and I nor any of my friends got hurt... until one day in my sophomore or junior year is HS, I noticed guy I new hadn't shown up for several days.  I asked a common friend if had seen this other kid.  Turns out the missing kid really did blow off his hand, about half of it anyway, while fooling around with a pipe bomb he'd made.  The kid finally showed up one day with his hand all bandaged up.  It was really sad- this guy was really nice- kind a big dumb teddy bear kind of a guy- super likeable.  He was totally depressed.  I don't know if he ever got over it.  Sometimes these things really do go too far.
    The “Pineapples” were supposedly an 1/8th stick of dynamite.  That was the most powerful firework I’d ever seen/heard.

I didn’t mess with those, the older kids did.

Look up the NFL player Jason Pierre Paul.  He blew off part of his hand…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The “Pineapples” were supposedly an 1/8th stick of dynamite.  That was the most powerful firework I’d ever seen/heard.

Good God, he did-- his dominant hand.  Bummer!

• Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I remember my grandpa telling me stories how they used to just go to the hardware store and buy dynamite. He’d blow out tree stumps with it. They’d tie about a dozen old tires together to catch the de rise and just blow it up. One time he told me the rope or chain didn’t hold together and a tire flew a few hundred feet up and landed between his car and house, all he could think was it was going straight threw the roof.
    Another story was he used to go fishing with it. Fill a barrel part way up with dynamite and load it the rest with rocks to sink it. One time he was out on his boat and his spare barrel was out on shore. Some idiot stole his other barrel and tried to go fishing with it and didn’t know to add weights and blew up his own boat.
    Wonder why they don’t sell it at the hardware store anymore….
  • Options

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,669
    mickeyrat said:
    What’s that saying? Something like, “please leave it to the professionals?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I remember my grandpa telling me stories how they used to just go to the hardware store and buy dynamite. He’d blow out tree stumps with it. They’d tie about a dozen old tires together to catch the de rise and just blow it up. One time he told me the rope or chain didn’t hold together and a tire flew a few hundred feet up and landed between his car and house, all he could think was it was going straight threw the roof.
    Another story was he used to go fishing with it. Fill a barrel part way up with dynamite and load it the rest with rocks to sink it. One time he was out on his boat and his spare barrel was out on shore. Some idiot stole his other barrel and tried to go fishing with it and didn’t know to add weights and blew up his own boat.
    Wonder why they don’t sell it at the hardware store anymore….
    Oh yeah.  Dynamite wasn't a big deal.  You also didn't have people trying to blow up buildings and shit, lol.  We used to find old dynamite in the mine shafts.  It weathered away or rotted because there was nothing left in the sleeves.

First time seeing a crate of dynamite you get scared as hell.  Luckily there wasn't anything in them.  You think it would be like those old movies where the dynamite sweats and one bump and it blows up.

Nope.  These were there for 50-60 years or so.

We used to see some shit in those mines.

And yes I understand what we did is not the brightest of things but we were all adventure seekers and just like jumping out of an airplane this was fun for us.