Options

What is your All-NBA Team using only players in the 21st century?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,281
    Poncier said:
    That video showed about 8 instances of him taking the ball and going coast to coast. He had great ball skills for a man his size.
    He had a long career and those were very rare occasions he did that.  I’m telling you his coaches cringed when he ran full floor w the ball because he wasn’t that good at it.

Video was just to illustrate my point that Shaq was far more athletic than folks seem to be remembering. Folks are equating the 400LB 50 year old in a suit making fun of Charles Barkley with the man's playing days. He was a freak of nature. First time I remember seeing him was an LSU game on TV and he did the coast to coast thing and I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Granted he didn't have an outside shot. Largely because he didn't need to develop one. He'd snap Giannis in half in the post in his prime.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,514
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    That video showed about 8 instances of him taking the ball and going coast to coast. He had great ball skills for a man his size.
    He had a long career and those were very rare occasions he did that.  I’m telling you his coaches cringed when he ran full floor w the ball because he wasn’t that good at it.

Video was just to illustrate my point that Shaq was far more athletic than folks seem to be remembering. Folks are equating the 400LB 50 year old in a suit making fun of Charles Barkley with the man's playing days. He was a freak of nature. First time I remember seeing him was an LSU game on TV and he did the coast to coast thing and I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Granted he didn't have an outside shot. Largely because he didn't need to develop one. He'd snap Giannis in half in the post in his prime.

Giannis would posterize Shaq with his freakishly long reach and ability to finish at the rim.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,150
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Didn't Laetner get the better of him with finesse?

Look, I know he was a freak and he would dominate in the paint but he isn't built for todays NBA with everyone having an outside shot now.

If there was room in the game for his type there would be more Rudy Goebert's in the league.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,281
    Agree to disagree.
    Comparing Shaq to Rudy Goebert is like comparing Michael Jordan to someone like Brandon Ingraham or similar.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Agree to disagree.
    Comparing Shaq to Rudy Goebert is like comparing Michael Jordan to someone like Brandon Ingraham or similar.

I think that's going to far in the wrong direction with Goebert too.  There really isn't a comp for him in today's game.  That's how much the 5 position has changed.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Agree to disagree.
    Poncier said:
    Agree to disagree.

I think that's going to far in the wrong direction with Goebert too.  There really isn't a comp for him in today's game.  That's how much the 5 position has changed.
    Nobody plays like Goebert though so he is the only one I could think of.  Surely nobody plays like Shaq.  I think Shaq would foul out in the first half nowadays with all the flopping.  He would have a hard time using his "boom boom" (I think that's what he called it?) posting up.

Rodman was good at flopping, imagine someone in todays game?  Oh man that would be a great blooper real because you know there would be guys flopping and shaq would pull up and not even touch them, lol.
  • Options
    As far as athleticism goes, Jokic definitely has nothing on Shaq.  Dude looks like a 45-year-old who dominates the YMCA.
  • Options
    As far as athleticism goes, Jokic definitely has nothing on Shaq.  Dude looks like a 45-year-old who dominates the YMCA.
    Same was said about Bird and both are bad dudes.

You ever watch Kawhi?  He moves slow on a dribble and somehow gets by everyone with his handling.  He isn't lightning but precise.  It's weird watching him when he dribbles.
  • Options
    Same was said about Bird and both are bad dudes.

You ever watch Kawhi?  He moves slow on a dribble and somehow gets by everyone with his handling.  He isn't lightning but precise.  It's weird watching him when he dribbles.

Maybe the advantage he has are those gargantuan hands of his.