Options

R.I.P. Seymour Stein

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
Gift article:
A portrait of Seymour Stein leaning against a stone building while wearing a short-sleeve white button-up shirt with a blue pattern

Who Signed Madonna, Dies at 80

With an encyclopedic knowledge of pop music, he championed acts including the Ramones, Talking Heads and the Pretenders on his label Sire, and helped found the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

I very much hope Mr Stein is recognized on these forums for the huge impact he had on music (and not meaning that as a shame).  If it were not for Seymour Stein and a few others like him, there may not have been a Pearl Jam or a lot of other bands that road the wave Stein and the bands he worked with set into motion.

Seymour Stein was one of the major figures who helped move rock and music in general beyond my generation's music and as much as I love the music of the 50 and 60's I grew up on, I have long been grateful for Mr. Stein and some others like him to give the music a much need and, to me, greatly appreciated boost.   A huge thank you, Mr. Seymour Stein, may you rest in peace.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,853
    He signed Ministry to Sire Records too. RIP
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    Ok. I rarely think of the people behind the scenes. Thanks for scrambling my brain with ministry :)
    RIP
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    I guess I guess you could say he was a pioneer putting some really great artists on the map! 
    RIP 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I know ministry was really odd discoish pop back then. Prior to Twitch. Twich got pretty experimental then the heaviness settled in. Read about their later release. 'Jesus Built My Hotrod' was made with a $75,000 advance from the lable [not sure if it was sire]. AJ said they smoked and shot up all that money and put something noisy together. Label thought they were done and it was a hit! Still never heard that one. 
    Kind of surprised how some drug abusers lived through all that. Lucky I guess. Also believe that if drugs were not partly there to inspire mental short circuts...most of this music never would have been created.

Maybe I'll but out my Madonna lp in his honor. 

F..k Ministry...let's kill

Anyway. RIP 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Ok. I rarely think of the people behind the scenes. Thanks for scrambling my brain with ministry :)
    RIP

Yeah, it's easy to overlook some of the people behind the scenes who are/were involved in the evolution of music.  Amongst those, there are both the famous and the infamous and some who where maybe both.  Would the Beatles have gone as far as they did without "the fifth Beatle", George Martin?  Would Jimi Hendrix have survived longer without the pressure imposed by Mike Jeffries? Would Buffalo Springfield have been as big as The Beatles and The Stones if they had been managed by Ahmet Ertegun instead of Charles Greene and Brian Stone? What would ambient and electronic musics be like without Brian Eno or Aphex Twin?  Would punk have thrived as well as it did without Danny Fields?
    Producers, managers, engineers, promoters, and other record company executives have had a huge impact on the music we know and love.  I would rank Seymour Stein as one of the greats, for sure.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I like what he did for the clothing industry.

Wait that was Seymore....

Bad dad joke. .blah blah blah

Sorry not sorry. Hope people chuckle when I pass on. 

Busted out some Madonna now while cleaning. good laundry folding music. La Isla Bonita 45 maxi single

Thank you Seymour.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I like what he did for the clothing industry.

Wait that was Seymore....

Bad dad joke. .blah blah blah

Sorry not sorry. Hope people chuckle when I pass on. 

Busted out some Madonna now while cleaning. good laundry folding music. La Isla Bonita 45 maxi single

Thank you Seymour.

And then there's always Ken More.
    Kenmore Top Load Washer  ari4appliances

And more bad jokes.  And more and more and more... :lol:

• Options
    Never heard that one. Touche :)
     Like a Virgin on now.
    This whole soundtrack maaaakkkeees me feeeeel....a little less like a grumpy son of a gun.
    That's not easy to do.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Never heard that one. Touche :)
     Like a Virgin on now.
    This whole soundtrack maaaakkkeees me feeeeel....a little less like a grumpy son of a gun.
    That's not easy to do.

Music makes a whole lot of things in life better, Loujoe.   I always thought it cool that Henry Rollins once said, "I medicate with music.".  Still in a dither about losing my wallet, I told my wife last night, I'm going to go put on some musical Prozac.  It was good (Dream Syndicate, How We Found Ourselves... Everywhere!)

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    edited April 2023
    A sad loss.  He helped define my musical taste in the early 80s.

Being on Sire records added credibility to all of their artists.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    A sad loss.  He helped define my musical taste in the early 80s.

Being on Sire records added credibility to all of their artists.

Well said, Joe.