Options

Storm on Southside: one died.

breadshebreadshe Posts: 20
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Since there is already another thread, but no one seemed to notice it, maybe because the title was misleading (http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=247934), I'm creating this new thread about Southside Festival.

First, I report what Bob wrote one the former thread:
Apparently there was a pretty bad storm at the Southside festival site this morning. The Coca-Cola tent was completey destroyed and someone died from flying debris.

They are advising people not to travel to the site today, put it off 'til tomorrow if possible.

Bob

http://www.southside.de

From what I have read on the Italian Forum (http://pearljam.forumcommunity.net/?t=7176667&st=135) a doctor was killed when the ambulance where he tried to find shelter was hit by a piece of something flying in the storm.

That's terrible.

It is not explicitly written whether the festival is cancelled or not. Anyway, do you think pearl jam will play also if the festival would be confirmed?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    From here I don't see a warning.

http://www.southside.de
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    breadshebreadshe Posts: 20
    Here there are some photos:
    http://www.szon.de/news/fotoreportagen/popup.html?fid=8239&bild=0&noivw=1

The situation seems difficult...
  • Options
    NoLogoNoLogo Posts: 289
    Here´s a link to some online news in german: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,490001,00.html
  • Options
    I translated the page into English and that story doesn't come up.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Apparently they were thinking about just cancelling the whole festival, but ... so far they're just advising people to come there tomorrow, and it's said that they either find another place to play for the bands from that other tentstage or that they'll have to cancel those.
    It seems as if just no one really knows what is going to happen..
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I translated the page into English and that story doesn't come up.

it´s in the second paragraph. an ambulance man was killed when a steel bar (4m long) hit an ambulance. two others were injured. wind speed at that time about 120km/h.
  • Options
    NoLogo wrote:
    it´s in the second paragraph. an ambulance man was killed when a steel bar (4m long) hit an ambulance. two others were injured. wind speed at that time about 120km/h.
    I see the German with the images, but I don't know why it doesn't come up in the English translation. Can you paste it?
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I see the German with the images, but I don't know why it doesn't come up in the English translation. Can you paste it?

There are no images of that accident on that site. Here´s the German version:

...Bei einem Unwetter im baden-württembergischen Neuhausen ob Eck wurde ein Mann getötet. Wie ein Polizeisprecher mitteilte, flogen bei Aufbauarbeiten für das Rockfestival "Southside" durch den heftigen Sturm Stahlstreben durch die Luft. Dabei bohrte sich eine vier Meter lange Metallstange in ein Rettungsfahrzeug und tötete einen Sanitäter, zwei weitere Männer wurden verletzt. Zum Unfallzeitpunkt wurden Windgeschwindigkeiten von rund 120 Stundenkilometern gemessen....

don´t know of an english version, though.
  • Options
    lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    I will go there tomorrow. I hope Pearl Jam will play! Very very sad that someone died.
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • Options
    blue_rainblue_rain London Posts: 163
    Terribly sad news :(
    "Is my band ready to kick it?" Stone Gossard

28/Oct/96, 29/May/00, 04/Jun/00, 28/Jun/00, 30/Jun/00, 02/Jul/03, 03/Jul/03, 05/Jul/03, 08/Jul/03, 09/Jul/03, 20/Apr/06, 27/Aug/06, 09/Sep/06, 13/Sep/06, 12/Jun/07, 13/Jun/07, 18/Jun/07, 26/Jun/07, 28/Jun/07, 02/Apr/08 (Ed), 03/Apr/08 (Ed), 11/Aug09, 13/Aug/09, 17/Aug/09, 18/Aug/09, 25/Jun/10
  • Options
    It´s really terrible. :( Imagine steel bars of 4m length flying through the air, just horrible! I hope the weather will be better the next days. I will go to Hurricane Festival today or tomorrow. Hope that the weather doesn´t follow the name...
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Oh wow. this is so sad. after venice...omg :(
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Where are people obtaining the information in English? From all the posts above I can't find an article that can be translated into English with the information. For instance, a couple of the posts include German papers, which include an "English" link on the site. When I click "English" nothing about this comes up, so how are people getting their information, and able to put it here in English?
  • Options
    brainofmebrainofme Posts: 231
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Where are people obtaining the information in English? From all the posts above I can't find an article that can be translated into English with the information. For instance, a couple of the posts include German papers, which include an "English" link on the site. When I click "English" nothing about this comes up, so how are people getting their information, and able to put it here in English?

i'm not sure if i understand your question. you are asking why people are reporting about the dead person? i haven't read any english report on this but the german ones say that one person was killed.
    Vienna, Austria 2006
    Munich, Germany 2007
  • Options
    EvolutionaryEvolutionary Posts: 880
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    When I click "English" nothing about this comes up, so how are people getting their information, and able to put it here in English?

Well the first translated post I read was posted from a German site by someone who's located in Germany - I would have thought it was translated by the person who posted... they even put the German version up afterwards.

Terrible news though, sounds a horrible thing to happen - particularly after Venice.
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • Options
    bobaboba Posts: 11
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

From my side, it comes from living more than six years in the country and learning the language.

The English version of the site doesn't get a full update. Germany is still very German.
  • Options
    Bob Maubry wrote:
    From my side, it comes from living more than six years in the country and learning the language.

The English version of the site doesn't get a full update. Germany is still very German.
    It wasn't clear to me that multi-lingual people were reading the original news. News becomes so muddled if it goes through a few different hands, you know.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)