Options

The demise of The Great Salt Lake...

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,316
    brianlux said:
    I think we need to do both- slow population growth and (in the first world) learn to live more simply.  And not just consume less but make what we consume more durable.  First world economies rely on people buying not just an excess of merchandise, but also merchandise that is built specifically to fail.  Electronics are a prime example and lead to things like this

I feel the same way.  Even with things like cell phones.  Cell phones have become like computers.  The technological improvements from one generation to the next are minimal, but with cell phones, they build the battery into them to make them hard to replace, plus you only get a few years of updates, so once the battery dies and the updates stop, people chuck it to get the next one.   I really liked my galaxy s10 but replaced it recently because my work blocks us from using our work stuff on it, once it stops getting security updates, and the s10 is just hitting that point.  The phone itself is amazing, and is still eons better than the new midrange phones Samsung sells.. so it's like why does this mediocre new phone get updates for 4 years when my 3 or 4 year old high end s10 that is a better phone has stopped.. ugh.

More updates, and the ability to change batteries would go a long way.   Same with the wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse I'm using right now.  I love logitech devices.  The older modes ran off AA batteries, so I'd use sanyo eneloops to keep it going.   They start losing capacity, just swap the batteries, and keep using it until it actual breaks.

The trade off, is we did change laws for things like replacable batteries, and longer software updates... how does that impact things economically.  So many tech companies would see a slow down in sales kind of thing.. which then impacts stocks, which impacts peoples retirement savings.... it's a mess.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    edited February 2023
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    I think we need to do both- slow population growth and (in the first world) learn to live more simply.  And not just consume less but make what we consume more durable.  First world economies rely on people buying not just an excess of merchandise, but also merchandise that is built specifically to fail.  Electronics are a prime example and lead to things like this

I feel the same way.  Even with things like cell phones.  Cell phones have become like computers.  The technological improvements from one generation to the next are minimal, but with cell phones, they build the battery into them to make them hard to replace, plus you only get a few years of updates, so once the battery dies and the updates stop, people chuck it to get the next one.   I really liked my galaxy s10 but replaced it recently because my work blocks us from using our work stuff on it, once it stops getting security updates, and the s10 is just hitting that point.  The phone itself is amazing, and is still eons better than the new midrange phones Samsung sells.. so it's like why does this mediocre new phone get updates for 4 years when my 3 or 4 year old high end s10 that is a better phone has stopped.. ugh.

More updates, and the ability to change batteries would go a long way.   Same with the wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse I'm using right now.  I love logitech devices.  The older modes ran off AA batteries, so I'd use sanyo eneloops to keep it going.   They start losing capacity, just swap the batteries, and keep using it until it actual breaks.

The trade off, is we did change laws for things like replacable batteries, and longer software updates... how does that impact things economically.  So many tech companies would see a slow down in sales kind of thing.. which then impacts stocks, which impacts peoples retirement savings.... it's a mess.

Am I not getting updates on my S9+ anymore?? I hadn't actually really noticed, LOL, but you made me look it up, and yeah, it hasn't been updated in a year! It still works great though - I've only noticed maybe an occasional glitch or two with a couple of apps sometimes lately - no biggie. I've had it for 5 years, which is impressive in smartphone terms I guess. But I know I will have to get a new one soon, like in the next few months. And that SUCKS, because I should just be able to update it still, as there is nothing wrong with it at all. It's a great phone. The battery is still really good and everything. :angry:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:

Am I not getting updates on my S9+ anymore?? I hadn't actually really noticed, LOL, but you made me look it up, and yeah, it hasn't been updated in a year! It still works great though - I've only noticed maybe an occasional glitch or two with a couple of apps sometimes lately - no biggie. I've had it for 5 years, which is impressive in smartphone terms I guess. But I know I will have to get a new one soon, like in the next few months. And that SUCKS, because I should just be able to update it still, as there is nothing wrong with it at all. It's a great phone. The battery is still really good and everything. :angry:

Nothing like good old planned obsolescence, right?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.