Options

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    On MCU timeline, I am midway through Falcon and Winter Soldier. Any thoughts on potential spoilers if I catch the new Ant Man flick in the theaters?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    The onslaught is annoying.  I say watch whatever you like.  It is a superhero movie, not much to really get lost in.
    I'm ready to skip over a bunch of stuff and watch what looks most interesting.  Just don't have time to keep up.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    On MCU timeline, I am midway through Falcon and Winter Soldier. Any thoughts on potential spoilers if I catch the new Ant Man flick in the theaters?
    Dont know about that. But Loki connects a tad
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,122
    edited February 2023
    You should be fine but Loki will provide some larger context for something that occurs in new Ant Man.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    You should be fine but Loki will provide some larger context for something that occurs in new Ant Man.

Thanks, I’ve been following the timeline on Disney plus, so not the order they were released. After Endgame, they had me watch Loki, Wanda and then Falcon. All fun series to watch. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    So we just got Disney + recently and I have been catching up on all the movies and series I missed.  I have to say aside from the LOKI series the majority of the work is cheese whiz garbage.  Lack of story, poor dialogue, everything relies heavily on bad CGI.  I hope the Daredevil series brings some grit and reality back to the universe. And maybe the addition of darker characters like Blade will also help.
    The first Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and the first Guardians of the Galaxy are great.

I imagine Blade will be "dark" in the same way The Winter Soldier was a "political thriller". It's still 98% whiz and CGI-filled third acts. 

Not one of the Hulks were any good.  They all were horrible…
    Wrong. 

The 2008 film is better and a lot better looking that most in the MCU. 
    Yeah, you'd be in the minority.  They all stunk, even Ed Norton couldn't save that one.

Hulk smashes shit, that's what people like, Hulk Smash.  He is not a very good stand alone character unless he is the smart hulk like in End game.

This is coming from someone who read his comics as a kid and loved when Keown and McFarlane got to draw him.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    So we just got Disney + recently and I have been catching up on all the movies and series I missed.  I have to say aside from the LOKI series the majority of the work is cheese whiz garbage.  Lack of story, poor dialogue, everything relies heavily on bad CGI.  I hope the Daredevil series brings some grit and reality back to the universe. And maybe the addition of darker characters like Blade will also help.
    The first Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and the first Guardians of the Galaxy are great.

I imagine Blade will be "dark" in the same way The Winter Soldier was a "political thriller". It's still 98% whiz and CGI-filled third acts. 

Wrong. 

Yeah, you'd be in the minority.  They all stunk, even Ed Norton couldn't save that one.

Hulk smashes shit, that's what people like, Hulk Smash.  He is not a very good stand alone character unless he is the smart hulk like in End game.

This is coming from someone who read his comics as a kid and loved when Keown and McFarlane got to draw him.
    Peter David and Dale Keown run was great! Gary Frank, too.

Actually, if you still read, track down the Immortal Hulk run by Al Ewing. Public libraries tend to carry the trades. It’s sci fi, but dives into full on Lovecraftian body horror.
  • Options
    static111 said:

Wrong. 

I'm confident enough in my correctness, that being in the minority is okey.

Not a fan of Hulk as a character. And he might not be a good stand alone character, but he should be used as a raging threat or a sad character living rage free on the run. And not that semi-boring smart Hulk-thing they did in End Game.

Anyways, it's more quality than most MCU films. A nice watch. Rhythm & Hues did a great with the CG (Imagine it has aged a bit with time. And like Iron Man it was shot on film and looks so much better than anything post the beige Alexa era of Marvel. 

Good movie. Will rewatch it soon.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111 said:

Wrong. 

Peter David and Dale Keown run was great! Gary Frank, too.

Actually, if you still read, track down the Immortal Hulk run by Al Ewing. Public libraries tend to carry the trades. It’s sci fi, but dives into full on Lovecraftian body horror.
    I will look up Immortal Hulk!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    edited February 2023
    static111 said:

Wrong. 

Not a fan of Hulk as a character. And he might not be a good stand alone character, but he should be used as a raging threat or a sad character living rage free on the run. And not that semi-boring smart Hulk-thing they did in End Game.

Anyways, it's more quality than most MCU films. A nice watch. Rhythm & Hues did a great with the CG (Imagine it has aged a bit with time. And like Iron Man it was shot on film and looks so much better than anything post the beige Alexa era of Marvel. 

I quite liked the Incredible Hulk movie when it came out. I watched it again before Christmas and it still holds up, although I don’t think Edward Norton would have fit into the MCU image as well as Ruffalo has.

It’s interesting that Marvel have finally started to acknowledge the movie more - first General Ross came back, then Abomination in Shang-Chi and She-Hulk, now Tim Blake Nelson will be back as Samuel Sterns in Captain America 4.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Harrison Ford is General Ross now. Potential Red Hulk there.
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    static111 said:

Wrong. 

I quite liked the Incredible Hulk movie when it came out. I watched it again before Christmas and it still holds up, although I don’t think Edward Norton would have fit into the MCU image as well as Ruffalo has.

It’s interesting that Marvel have finally started to acknowledge the movie more - first General Ross came back, then Abomination in Shang-Chi and She-Hulk, now Tim Blake Nelson will be back as Samuel Sterns in Captain America 4.
    She-Hulk is a character that hasn't received a lot of fan love in the comics.  I need to watch the series and see if it's any good.
  • Options
    Guardians 3 comes out today and while it looks good, I think folks are soured on the past few releases. Don't feel the same amount of hype for this one.

The last Gunn movie for Marvel. Maybe some bittersweet feelings?
  • Options
    Guardians 3 has all the feels.

Truly a fun send off for Gunn and the team. More 90s related soundtrack thanks to the Zune compared to the 70s throughout the first two.

I'm upset on how Adam Warlock is used. Really wanted him in the Infinity War saga and his use here is comic relief mostly.

Just saw Midnight Sons will be in Phase 6. Hope that means more Warewolf By Night.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Fury looks dumb as hell.  Hopefully there are some Easter eggs in it that will make it worth while.
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    goldrush said:
    Well hot damn!  There is a whole basket full of them!!!

TY!!!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    The released and leaked stuff from the Deadpool 3 shoot made me laugh.

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,122
    😆 Really breaking the 4th wall now with that 20th Century Fox logo.
  • Options
    I enjoyed Secret Invasion, but I can’t shake the feeling that it could have been so much better. There was some really good acting - SLJ, Olivia Colman, Emilia Clarke, Kingsley Ben-Adir all shone at different points - but the ending still felt rushed. 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Loki Season 2 turned out to be one of the best Marvel shows. The pacing, story, and score were very good, and the cast were all on form. And Ke Huy Quan is always good value.

Now Marvel just need to get themselves out of the Jonathan Majors-sized hole that they are in...

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Halfway through Loki season 2. Enjoying it!

Saw The Marvels tonight. Pretty fun. Family enjoyed it especially my daughter. Just confirmed for me that Kamala Khan is the best.
  • Options
    The Marvels is superbombing
  • Options
    Halfway through Loki season 2. Enjoying it!

Saw The Marvels tonight. Pretty fun. Family enjoyed it especially my daughter. Just confirmed for me that Kamala Khan is the best.
    We saw The Marvels on Friday night. It’s a fun movie, plenty of cool scenes, and Kamala Khan is the standout. I’m sure the scenes on the water planet will divide opinions though!

I never really pay attention to critic reviews, but you could tell by the negativity on social media that a lot of people had already made up their minds before they’d even seen it.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    This definitely not going to perform like other ones. Agree, that comedy scene on the water planet won’t be for some.

I think it’s an enjoyable movie, that while not Marvel’s best, it is far from their worst. There were a couple moments of expository dialogue that had to do a lot of work for the audience, assuming no one saw Wandavision or Ms. Marvel. 

Again, I really enjoyed Kamala in this. Nice to see her family as well. I would watch another Ms. Marvel show or any movie with her in it.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited November 2023
    goldrush said:

I never really pay attention to critic reviews, but you could tell by the negativity on social media that a lot of people had already made up their minds before they’d even seen it.
    I think it has to do with other things than some people having made up their minds on social media.

The former movie came out in 2019. Me and my mom saw it. She wanted to go. My mom has a DVD box set with the first run of MCU film up and till The Avengers. 

It was four years since the last film. My mom doesn't remember who Captain Marvel is, and hasn't mentioned a Marvel movie in like three years. She also hasn't cared about watching the shows. She rather watch BBC detective shows set in small coastal villages.

I think they have lost the general movie goer being a part of and following the whole "marvel shared universe thing" and will have to attract people on a movie to movie basis to a larger extent. Which they actually did in the beginning when everything was less shared and interconnected. And this one didn't connect enough to have people go to the cinema. Just like The Flash didn't. Or they have to get a Thanos-ramp up breaking through into the mainstream again. Like Secret Wars or whatever.
  • Options
    goldrush said:

I think it has to do with other things than some people having made up their minds on social media.

The former movie came out in 2019. Me and my mom saw it. She wanted to go. My mom has a DVD box set with the first run of MCU film up and till The Avengers. 

It was four years since the last film. My mom doesn't remember who Captain Marvel is, and hasn't mentioned a Marvel movie in like three years. She also hasn't cared about watching the shows. She rather watch BBC detective shows set in small coastal villages.

I think they have lost the general movie goer being a part of and following the whole "marvel shared universe thing" and will have to attract people on a movie to movie basis to a larger extent. Which they actually did in the beginning when everything was less shared and interconnected. And this one didn't connect enough to have people go to the cinema. Just like The Flash didn't. Or they have to get a Thanos-ramp up breaking through into the mainstream again. Like Secret Wars or whatever.
    Agreed. Casual movie goers have fallen off a bit. Being a comic geek, in hindsight, I was always so amazed at how many casual movie goers were into it back in the Thanos days. Growing up, people thought comics were stupid. Now, they were driving big box office. Crazy.
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Agreed. Casual movie goers have fallen off a bit. Being a comic geek, in hindsight, I was always so amazed at how many casual movie goers were into it back in the Thanos days. Growing up, people thought comics were stupid. Now, they were driving big box office. Crazy.
    Nothing has caught on for me.  No Marvel movie has caught my attention to want to go see it since endgame...

Kamala being introduced is not intriguing enough for me.

Oh and I know it's DC but Blue Beetle looks dumb too.