Options

Long Shows

SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
edited April 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Does anyone know when Pearl Jam started playing the long shows they do now? And when Ed started changing his style?

Early on they played short shows and Ed completely wailed, let go completely.

In the longer shows that I've heard from the mid-90's Ed continued to wail, but his voice was really giving out by the end of the show.

Now he makes it through long shows pretty much full force, but he does sing a little differently, smoother, more melodic. You can really hear the difference in ONCE over the years.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I think they started playing longer in 2000. In Europe they started playing longer and longer and then by the time they hit the US, they played long shows with 2 encores.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    they'll never be long enough.....:)
  • Options
    Reynaldo6Reynaldo6 Posts: 80
    yes i agree. but its amazing how Ed can last through the shows. did he just work really hard at meking his voice last that long or is he drinking magic water?
    I'll wait up in the dark
    For you to speak to me
    I'll open up
    Release me
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    The long shows were a staple I would say starting in 2003, but 98 and 00 set the tone.

Ed's voice I always kind of categorize as:

91-94 full force

95 it was blown (listen to any version of Blood after the Australian tour), but the shows and jams made up for it (San Jose Blood for instance)

96 to 98 and perhaps into 00 he was trying to reinvent his voice live, and you could still hear the straining in certain songs. Still, it was starting to get a little smoother.

03-06 Ed's voice as we know it now, and I love it. He has the wailing left in him, but he uses it conservatively. He also seems to not want to holds notes as long any more in some songs like Alive, Evenflow, Once, Go, Corduroy, etc. But he can also go the distance a lot better.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    i'd love to hear eddie sing porch or solat like he did in the early 90s
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival