Options

Iggy Pop

Any Iggy/Stooges fans out there?
Recently got into some of Iggy's music and was curious to hear from fans. Maybe on some favorite songs or albums to listen to.

Comments

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345
    I've been a huge Iggy Pop fan for 30+ years. As far as listening recommendations, start with the first Stooges album. It's one of the iconic rock'n roll albums. Way before it's time. If you dig that heavy sound, move on to Fun House . If you like those and like distortion even more, move on to Raw Power. Other complete albums that are great from top to bottom in my opinion are Lust for Life, and New Values ( one of my favorite records of all time). Another favorite of mine and highly under rated album is Brick By Brick. The thing with Iggy Pop is that every album is wildly different than the next. He's like Bowie in the sense that there are generally different musicians on every record. There some good tunes on each album but Kill City, The Idiot, Soldier, Party(two other favorites of mine), Blah Blah Blah, Instinct, and American Caesar are more for the die hard for top to bottom listening. As far as songs? Just listen tothe Lust For Life album. It's fucking great.
  • Options
    That's great, thanks for the info!
  • Options
    I'm the idiot in the purple shirt. Needless to say yes, Iggy and the Stooges, I am a fan.
    http://youtu.be/McHf6OruRWM
  • Options
    I'm a HUGE Iggy/Stooges fan.

My friend painted this for me and its 3' x 3'. He is an AWESOME artist!

photo 33E66A6D-7682-4FCF-ABD3-81A709507CF7_zpsbdw15dtj.jpg
  • Options
    BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 471
    edited April 2015
    Any one else pick up The Stooges Record Store Day release?

Post edited by BikePHL on
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    Iggy is endless energy. An amazing dude!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    new record out today
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I like the new one. I like/relate to some of his lyrics. He’s new to me but am loving familiarizing myself with his work. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Hi! said:
    I like the new one. I like/relate to some of his lyrics. He’s new to me but am loving familiarizing myself with his work. 
    me too actually. I always loved Lust For Life, but never even explored his other stuff. I tried out the album he did with Josh Homme, but didn't like it much on first listen. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Hi! said:
    me too actually. I always loved Lust For Life, but never even explored his other stuff. I tried out the album he did with Josh Homme, but didn't like it much on first listen. 
    For sure, I’ll keep delvin’. I love the connection he had with Morrison after seeing The Doors in Ann Arbor, MI(UofM)

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options

• Options
    Today was Iggy Pop serendipity day for me.
    This morning, I saw him mentioned in The Guardian.
    This afternoon an FB friend talked about Iggy's new album.
    This evening, my wife and I watched the next episode in line in the Deep Space Nine series we have on DVD.  Just by coincidence, tonight's episode was called "The Magnificent Ferengi" from the sixth season.  Starring in this episode was...yes, I couldn't believe it!... Iggy Pop playing the role of a Vorta named Yelgrun. 
    Awesome! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    ^Maybe he'll stop in your shop next if you're still doing that.

He flew under my radar. I hope I live long enough to get into all these 'new' (to me) bands. 

Peace, love, punky rock and roll to all
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    ^Maybe he'll stop in your shop next if you're still doing that.

He flew under my radar. I hope I live long enough to get into all these 'new' (to me) bands. 

Peace, love, punky rock and roll to all

How cool that would be!  But no, I'm only at the store long enough to stock the little LP section.  My book sales are all from home now and very part-time.

I think I would find Iggy both interesting and a bit intimidating.  What an interesting character-  a guy who smears peanut butter on his chest and throws it at his audience, play punk rock, works with classical musicians, and gets an article published in a scholarly history periodical.  Fascinating!

• Options
    Iggy Pop performs the song Frenzy on Jimmy Kimmel Live
    super excited about seeing iggy live again. lucky us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMwvywH_OM

• Options
    Serious question- and I'm not at all poking fun at the great Iggy- I wonder if Mr. Pop has some spine curvature issue?  Over the years, I've noticed in every photo I've seen of him his right hip extends out to our left and his torso curves to the right from our view point.

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345
    brianlux said:
    Serious question- and I'm not at all poking fun at the great Iggy- I wonder if Mr. Pop has some spine curvature issue?  Over the years, I've noticed in every photo I've seen of him his right hip extends out to our left and his torso curves to the right from our view point.
    Mr. Pop does indeed have a case of scoliosis. His right shoe has about a 5 inch platform on it to even him out. Doesn’t seem to slow him down much. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Mr. Pop does indeed have a case of scoliosis. His right shoe has about a 5 inch platform on it to even him out. Doesn’t seem to slow him down much. 

Thank you for that info.  Damn, that's amazing.  The man is tough as nail.  Respect!

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    I remember him opening for PJ in Noblesville in 1998. I had never seen him live before.

I think his first words were "Fuck you Motherfuckers!"

He was great
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    I remember him opening for PJ in Noblesville in 1998. I had never seen him live before.

I think his first words were "Fuck you Motherfuckers!"

He was great
    My first and only time seeing him.  He was a great opener.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    That was actually my first time seeing PJ as well
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville