Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,865
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:
    Stoked to hear these, especially after hearing snippets during Bono's book tour. 

Last night I was browsing comments on U2's IG posts about the new release, mostly from fans who'd probably consider themselves die-hards based on qualifying comments like "I've been a fan since Boy and...", and turns out they're just as entitled and bitchy as us Pearl Jam loyalists. It was oddly refreshing to realize we're not the only fanbase that at times is ungrateful to have a band still writing their story decades into a career. 

haha I realized us die hard fans aren't much different than other bands die hard fans years ago.  Every time I go to a big concert, the band has it's big core die hard fan base.. every band has it.   I'm always amused because I'm like, it's the rolling stones or u2 version of us!

Yes. I have a good friend who is a big Stones fan in the same way. He travels around to see them and spends thousands on platinum and VIP packages. He is one of the few that gets my love for PJ, and doesn’t question why I travel to see them multiple times on a tour. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:
    Stoked to hear these, especially after hearing snippets during Bono's book tour. 

Last night I was browsing comments on U2's IG posts about the new release, mostly from fans who'd probably consider themselves die-hards based on qualifying comments like "I've been a fan since Boy and...", and turns out they're just as entitled and bitchy as us Pearl Jam loyalists. It was oddly refreshing to realize we're not the only fanbase that at times is ungrateful to have a band still writing their story decades into a career. 

haha I realized us die hard fans aren't much different than other bands die hard fans years ago.  Every time I go to a big concert, the band has it's big core die hard fan base.. every band has it.   I'm always amused because I'm like, it's the rolling stones or u2 version of us!

I've been a U2 fan since '81. Traveled all over the country and Europe to see them and even to Dublin for NYE 1989/1990.
    As time has gone on I have become less interested as the shows became more "Vegas" style and the old school "die-hards" became more cliquey, entitled and bitchy.
    I'm actually looking forward to the new album.
    Hopefully if they tour it isn't some over the top Vegas show (yes I'm aware of the Vegas shows).

Here's  a picture I took in '92 I believe...

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,758
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:

I've been a U2 fan since '81. Traveled all over the country and Europe to see them and even to Dublin for NYE 1989/1990.
    As time has gone on I have become less interested as the shows became more "Vegas" style and the old school "die-hards" became more cliquey, entitled and bitchy.
    Hopefully if they tour it isn't some over the top Vegas show (yes I'm aware of the Vegas shows).

Damn what a pic!! U2 were my first musical obsession at the age of 4. I’ve seen them over 30 times and absolutely adore them no matter what. The Vegas thing and the reimagined songs do not excite me at all but again, I’ll always love this band. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    nicknyr15 said:
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:

Damn what a pic!! U2 were my first musical obsession at the age of 4. I’ve seen them over 30 times and absolutely adore them no matter what. The Vegas thing and the reimagined songs do not excite me at all but again, I’ll always love this band. 
    Thanks. I literally have hundreds more from 84-2005ish. Just don't have the time or patience to get them digital.
    For those that have the time here is the full video of Bono at the National Cathedral. A good watch.
    https://youtu.be/tO0bnQftMlA
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:

Thanks. I literally have hundreds more from 84-2005ish. Just don't have the time or patience to get them digital.
    For those that have the time here is the full video of Bono at the National Cathedral. A good watch.
    https://youtu.be/tO0bnQftMlA
    Man that’s incredible. If you ever do have the patience, please let me know. Would love to check them out ! Thanks for sharing 
  • Options
    Very cool!!
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:

Fucking Awesome!!!!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Must resist the vinyl set….
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 638
    Must resist the vinyl set….
    May you be stronger than I am.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,837
    mr bungle said:
    Zod said:
    jjflash said:

Fucking Awesome!!!!
    Wow, awesome pic @Bentleyspop
    And being at the cusp-of-a-new-decade NYE show in Dublin must've been a mountaintop experience!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,144
    I mean I just bought the All That you Can't Leave Behind boxset because someone posted it had the 2001 chicago show on vinyl in it..

I'm pretty sure I'll buy this 4lp at some point.  I'll probably wait until after it's release to try and get it on discount.

I really do like acoustic versions of songs.  I actually spent last Saturday afternoon finally getting around to making a folder of acoustic rock songs (from various unplugged, bootlegs, official releases, bridge schools, etc..).   It's a pretty massive folder but I'm glad I got around to it.   Pretty fitting this got announce a few days later.  I'm sure I'll be adding some tracks from it into the folder :)
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    upper level for sure. no ga for sure!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,867
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Its fine. But at this point, just write U2 songs. Don't try to push your sound, or bring back rock music. Just copy your old sound that worked and keep making that. You're in your 60s. You've had massive success. Just coast on your laurels. 
  • Options
    They wrote Red Flag Day. Make an album of that.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    Holy shit. Those videos from Sphere are fucking incredible. Better than I ever imagined and I had high hopes. I have to get there
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    To open up with that intro before zoo station… fucking chills man. What a waste that this stays in Vegas. I don't need that venue but I NEED AB in full. Fuck. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,913

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Holy shit. Those videos from Sphere are fucking incredible. Better than I ever imagined and I had high hopes. I have to get there
    100%. Not for U2 but going to go see a show there for sure. Looks incredible. I’d actually want seats further back to take it in 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Yeah I’m super pumped to see them in this venue can’t wait! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    To open up with that intro before zoo station… fucking chills man. What a waste that this stays in Vegas. I don't need that venue but I NEED AB in full. Fuck. 
    Yeah but this venue was constructed specially for high end loving music fans like us! I haven’t been this pumped for a show like this in a long time! 
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/ZTVg1Qajblo?feature=shared
    Man I hate cell phones at shows it really sucks but without them not sure we could get a peek into this! 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yeah but this venue was constructed specially for high end loving music fans like us! I haven’t been this pumped for a show like this in a long time! 
    I hear that but they could pull off a show on a smaller scale in arenas. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I bet they do once Larry is back but I’d rather they do Unforgettable Fire in its entirety that is by far my favorite Record! 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I bet they do once Larry is back but I’d rather they do Unforgettable Fire in its entirety that is by far my favorite Record! 
    Who is playing instead of Larry?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Bram Van Der Berg lol not sure what band or where he’s from but that’s a crazy name he can go by any of them 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Really! I love UF but AB is definitely number 1. However , Bad is one of my all time favorite songs. Ever. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Really! I love UF but AB is definitely number 1. However , Bad is one of my all time favorite songs. Ever. 
    Yeah I was listening to UF and it’s a perfect album from start to finish! 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    Shroom/Sphere for the win 😬🤠
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 596
    static111 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Bram Van Der Berg lol not sure what band or where he’s from but that’s a crazy name he can go by any of them 
    He’s Dutch. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)