Options

What did you read in 2022?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
Last year we had a "What did you read in 2021" thread, so thought I'd give it a go again this year.
Here's what I read in 2020 (and am in the middle of reading Scott Young's Neil and Me which will go on next year's list):

Joan DIdion: Play it as it Lays
Richard Barone:  Frontman; Surviving the Rock Star Myth
J. M. Coetze: Disgrace
Alexis Petridis: Neil Young (Kill Your Idols Series)
Ruth Rudner: A chorus of Buffalo
J. M. Coetze: Foe
Walyon Jennings: Waylon, An Autobiography
Yogi Berra:  What Time is It? ...You Mean Now?
Helen Keller:  The Story of My Life
Willie Nelson: It's a Long Story; My Life
Felice Benuzzi: No Picnic on Mount Kenya
Willie Nelson: The Tao of Willie
Whoopi Goldberg:  Book
Roger Daltrey: Thanks a Lot Mr. Kibblewhite, My Story
Richie Havens: They Can't Hide Us Anymore
Stephen Mitchell: Gilgamesh
Sean Egan:  Jimi Hendrix and the Making of Are You Experienced
John Knowles: Spreading Fires
May Sarton: The Fur Person
Tony Fletcher:  Moon, The Life and Death of a Rock Legend
Neil Postman: Amusing Ourselves to Death
Stephen Mitchell:  Parables and Portraits
Joan Didion: The White Album
Dava Sobel, Longitude
Jerry Hopkins: The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Dava Sobel:  The Planets
Richard Leakey:  The Origins of Humankind
Davis Roberts: Escape From Lucania

How about you?  What did you read? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357

Professional book club:
    The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Gary Chapman & Paul White
    Power of Moments: Chip and Dan Heath 

• Options

Professional book club:
    The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Gary Chapman & Paul White
    Power of Moments: Chip and Dan Heath 

I'm generally not a big fan of pop psychology, but I did like Chapman's The Five Love Languages.  It help me understand some things about my wife and a few other people I'm, close to.

What is a Professional book club?  Is that work related?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    It's through a professional organization I belong to.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Old Man and The Sea nice easy one for me. Besides that, a lot of menus and song lyrics. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    It's through a professional organization I belong to.
    Sounds great.
    Hi! said:
    Old Man and The Sea nice easy one for me. Besides that, a lot of menus and song lyrics. 
    I totally get why Old Man and the Sea has been referred to as as "the perfect novel".  An amazing book, for sure!

"a lot of menus" lol!  Even if they didn't expand your literary prowess, I hope they at least led to a highly satisfied palate! :smiley:

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

"a lot of menus" lol!  Even if they didn't expand your literary prowess, I hope they at least led to a highly satisfied palate! :smiley:
    Oh, for sure!😊

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    All 4 Hyperion Novels, All 3 Three Body problem Novels, Essays by Ursula Leguin, the first Earthsea book by Ursula, 2 books by Wendell Berry, 3 by Neal Postman, Global Civil War by William Robinson, The Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemison, The Great Dialogues of Plato, Davos Man by Peter Goodman, A short History of Progress by Ronald Wright, The Image or What Happened to the American Dream by Daniel Boorstin,  Both of the Kingkiller books by Patrick Rothfuss, The Latest Starlight book by Sanderson...There were others but I am bad at keeping lists.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    All 4 Hyperion Novels, All 3 Three Body problem Novels, Essays by Ursula Leguin, the first Earthsea book by Ursula, 2 books by Wendell Berry, 3 by Neal Postman, Global Civil War by William Robinson, The Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemison, The Great Dialogues of Plato, Davos Man by Peter Goodman, A short History of Progress by Ronald Wright, The Image or What Happened to the American Dream by Daniel Boorstin,  Both of the Kingkiller books by Patrick Rothfuss, The Latest Starlight book by Sanderson...There were others but I am bad at keeping lists.

Quite the diverse and interesting list.  Nice!

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,487
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

''All 3 Three Body problem Novels''..it's going to be my next reading..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    23scidoo said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

You will love it.  I would like to reread it.  It is a story told on a grand scope through space and time.  Really great detailed hard info sci-fi without getting boring.  Great characters, great plot etc.  Can't wait to hear your review.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

static111 said:
    23scidoo said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

You will love it.  I would like to reread it.  It is a story told on a grand scope through space and time.  Really great detailed hard info sci-fi without getting boring.  Great characters, great plot etc.  Can't wait to hear your review.

Sounds interesting!

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,487
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

static111 said:
    23scidoo said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Sounds interesting!
    Τhose books are legends!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..