Options

Dinosaur Jr. + J Mascis

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    dudeman said:

This was on the table the last time I saw Dinosaur Jr. in a bar:

They weren't kidding!

Cool!  Next time see if you can get J to sign one of those, haha!
    Would love to hear any tidbits at all about how the up coming show goes.  And have a great time!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I would LOVE to have a poster of this!
    May be an illustration

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    brianlux said:
    I would LOVE to have a poster of this!
    May be an illustration

That is an awesome poster!  :clap:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Lou posted a video of his daughter Izzy explaining his music - specifically Dino - to him

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch5fVzwpE2t/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Lou posted a video of his daughter Izzy explaining his music - specifically Dino - to him

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch5fVzwpE2t/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I love it!  "Dinosaur Jr is loud but it's soft too, kind of in between both."  I think J would agree!

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    edited September 2022
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

They weren't kidding!

Would love to hear any tidbits at all about how the up coming show goes.  And have a great time!
    The Dinosaur Jr. show in Detroit was amazing! They all seemed to be in high spirits and J and Lou were both chattier than usual, telling stories and such.

J busted out Tele with a Floyd Rose for an insane version of Mountain Man and he played a badass Rickenbacker bass for "Garden" while Lou played guitar. Too many highlights to describe, really. (There is a video of the entire show on YouTube for anyone who is interested.)

They ended the show with the band Negative Approach joining them onstage for a proper, Detroit-hardcore mini-set. 

And yes, it was incredibly loud! After the first or second song, Lou came to the front of the stage and gave earplugs to someone who was not prepared for the insane SPLs of Dinosaur Jr. in the front row. 

What a great night and a great band!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

They weren't kidding!

The Dinosaur Jr. show in Detroit was amazing! They all seemed to be in high spirits and J and Lou were both chattier than usual, telling stories and such.

J busted out Tele with a Floyd Rose for an insane version of Mountain Man and he played a badass Rickenbacker bass for "Garden" while Lou played guitar. Too many highlights to describe, really. (There is a video of the entire show on YouTube for anyone who is interested.)

They ended the show with the band Negative Approach joining them onstage for a proper, Detroit-hardcore mini-set. 

And yes, it was incredibly loud! After the first or second song, Lou came to the front of the stage and gave earplugs to someone who was not prepared for the insane SPLs of Dinosaur Jr. in the front row. 

What a great night and a great band!

Thanks for the review!  Sounds like it was a great show.
    How cool that J used the Tele.  I remember reading that he mostly plays a Jazzmaster for shows because that's what the crowd expects, yet for most recordings he uses a Tele.  I hadn't heard that until just a few years ago.
    Very cool of Lou to help out with a pair of ear plugs.  I can picture him doing that!

• Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Enjoy!  Unfortunately, we can no longer stream so I will miss it. 

• Options
    goldrush said:
    Sweet! Those guys are killing it on this tour. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Set list and poster from the Third Man London show 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Reports that have shown up on Facebook fans sites of their recent shows have super super positive.  So great to know those guys are rocking it as hard as ever!  Sure would like to see a DVD of some of these latest performances! (Sadly, we are not able to stream here for more than brief moments.)

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Is it likely they will release the Third Man show on vinyl? I've got a Vault subscription at the moment so would be good to know before I cancel. Usually gives you 10% off and access to limited stuff etc. Can't quite remember but I think you lose all perks for the whole 3 month period if you cancel, at least that's how it used to work.
  • Options
    petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    edited November 2022
    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/dinosaur-jr-puke-cry-the-sire-years-1990-1997-4cd-box-set/

New out in January from Cherry Red. Looks like the first disc from the recent two CD sets of each album. Nothing new.
  • Options
    This is very cool!

"What do alt, indie, punk and hardcore rock have in common? It starts with a J. And ends with Mascis. That’s J Mascis. American musical magician, singer, guitarist, and all-around one-man band extraordinaire. This episode takes us to Easthampton, Massachusetts, a small but intimate studio brought to life by Mascis’s unmistakable signature sounds. Mascis is arguably one of the most definitive guitarists of the last 50 years. Just ask the Rolling Stones. He was #86 on the top 100 guitarists’ list. Mascis’s guitar wizardry and ever-evolving songwriting chops have found a home with a number of worthy bands like Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, Deep Wound and the Velvet Monkeys. In episode 10, Mascis is the ultimate music maker as he showcases all of his savvy skills playing not one but all three cardboard creations. Achieving what no cardboard sesh musician has done before. 

Welcome to Cardboard Sessions. A jam format music series that brings musicians together to play instruments built and designed by the creators of Cardboard Chaos. A creative exploration for the love of music and the chance to hear something original. No rehearsals, no plan. The moment when a creative spark hits and you dig deep to explore the realm." 

Artist:
    J Mascis - Bass
    J Mascis - Drums
    J Mascis - Guitar

Studio - Sonlab Engineer / Justin Pizzoferrato

https://youtu.be/3omVurAT_4Q

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    This is very cool!

"What do alt, indie, punk and hardcore rock have in common? It starts with a J. And ends with Mascis. That’s J Mascis. American musical magician, singer, guitarist, and all-around one-man band extraordinaire. This episode takes us to Easthampton, Massachusetts, a small but intimate studio brought to life by Mascis’s unmistakable signature sounds. Mascis is arguably one of the most definitive guitarists of the last 50 years. Just ask the Rolling Stones. He was #86 on the top 100 guitarists’ list. Mascis’s guitar wizardry and ever-evolving songwriting chops have found a home with a number of worthy bands like Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, Deep Wound and the Velvet Monkeys. In episode 10, Mascis is the ultimate music maker as he showcases all of his savvy skills playing not one but all three cardboard creations. Achieving what no cardboard sesh musician has done before. 

Welcome to Cardboard Sessions. A jam format music series that brings musicians together to play instruments built and designed by the creators of Cardboard Chaos. A creative exploration for the love of music and the chance to hear something original. No rehearsals, no plan. The moment when a creative spark hits and you dig deep to explore the realm." 

Artist:
    J Mascis - Bass
    J Mascis - Drums
    J Mascis - Guitar

goldrush said:
    This is very cool!

Artist:
    J Mascis - Bass
    J Mascis - Drums
    J Mascis - Guitar

Very cool indeed! 
    Wouldn't want to get caught out in the rain with that guitar, lol!

• Options
    That's really incredible. It kind of undermines the whole tone wood debate for electric guitars.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    Amazing musician!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Great!  Only I wish they would but out a DVD of this so I could see it.

• Options
    New J Mascis solo album comes out toward the beginning of next year!
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    New J Mascis solo album comes out toward the beginning of next year!

Looks like my Christmas present will be late this year, haha!

• Options
    OK, somebody has to say this... Paula Cole has a new song out called "The Replacements & Dinosaur Jr."
    OK, I said it. 
    Look Of Disgust GIFs  Tenor

• Options
    pjl44 said:

Great article, thanks for putting it up.  I would love to see them do that great album.  If you get a chance to see it, tell us all about it!

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Jesus Christ they did Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes
  • Options
    Spoiler: It's fucking incredible 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    pjl44 said:

pjl44 said:

Were you there?!  Would love to have seen that.
    Film at 11?

🙏

• Options
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

pjl44 said:

Film at 11?

🙏

No unfortunately. Was just watching the livestream. If you have a Nugs subscription they're streaming and archiving all of these. I'm really going to try to get down there Tues/Wed but everything needs to fall right. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

pjl44 said:

Film at 11?

🙏

No unfortunately. Was just watching the livestream. If you have a Nugs subscription they're streaming and archiving all of these. I'm really going to try to get down there Tues/Wed but everything needs to fall right. 

I hope it works out and if so, have a great time!