Happy Boxing Day!

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Or St Stephen's Day. Poor hungover sods in the US will say, what the fook is Boxing Day? Well, over here we get two Christmas Days: the main one on the 25th, and the second one, today. Once upon a time, Lord and Lady Ffortesque-Fforbes-Ffarquarson used to go around in their horse and carriage and visit all the poor people, and give them boxes (probably with nothing in them), as some form of make-yourself-feel-better-for-being-such-a-rich-bastard charity exercise. Nowadays, Boxing Day is just Christmas Day with the Tesco Express and more pubs open. I've always preferred it ...

Cheers!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Happy Boxing Day Fins! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Cool !

I wish we had that
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Happy Boxing Day all.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Cool!

Happy Boxing day Gub'nah!!

*woozy from too much wassail*

:D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    And it's not really the height of wassail season until January 6th! In olden times, it used to be 17th of January! so, wooze away! :D
  • And it's not really the height of wassail season until January 6th! In olden times, it used to be 17th of January! so, wooze away! :D

SWEEEET!!!! I love wassail, even though the recipe I am using is prolly wrong! (betty crocker from like 1962) so long as I get drunk and my aunt's look less like my uncles - I am happy!!

(aye, that there be my future!! :eek: )

I am going to have to visit your section of the world soon...I will be the bleating and bumbling american in size 11 and a half shoes taking pictures of the weirdest shit I can find!
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    And it's not really the height of wassail season until January 6th! In olden times, it used to be 17th of January! so, wooze away! :D

You're so smart I'm never sure if your winding us up, or wether this stuff is really true.
    Anyway, happy boxing day, I'm here drinking wine..a bit like I was xmas day, and xmas eve...when did this happen to me? lol.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    jamie uk wrote:
    You're so smart I'm never sure if your winding us up, or wether this stuff is really true.
    Anyway, happy boxing day, I'm here drinking wine..a bit like I was xmas day, and xmas eve...when did this happen to me? lol.

Nah, I did an A*n**us and cribbed that info from Wikipedia, passing it off as my own. ;)
    Did you know, it's 41 years ago today since Jimi Hendrix wrote "Purple Haze"? He wrote it in the dressing room of The Uppercut, before a gig he was doing on the same bill as The Who. Yup.
  • Happy Boxing Day Fins, and everyone :D

Red wine and Counting Crows... yep.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    United takes care of business 4-nil vs. Sunderland, and Arsenal draws nil-nil vs. Pompey. The Reds are now top of the league again!

Happy Boxing Day indeed!
    Jwmcc wrote:
    United takes care of business 4-nil vs. Sunderland, and Arsenal draws nil-nil vs. Pompey. The Reds are now top of the league again!

Happy Boxing Day indeed!
    I just watched the utd goals on youtube, off French telly, I just tried it again to link it for you...and it's been taken off. Ronaldos free kick was spectacular, 17 goals....how come he didn't take the pen though?
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I'm pretty sure SAF already subbed him out by the time the penalty was taken.

and here's a good youtube link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7nSYyd-MNvo
    Jwmcc wrote:
    I'm pretty sure SAF already subbed him out by the time the penalty was taken.

and here's a good youtube link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7nSYyd-MNvo

Ah, same clip. Oh, that's why he never took it then. So you keep an eye from all the way over there then, ex pat, or just found the love?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Happy Boxing Day!  Such an odd name for a holiday.  Oh well, may as well get in the mood for it.  :lol:

IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.