Options

Oh my god, I'm keeping a Ted Nugent record.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
edited October 2022 in Other Music
Yeah, I  know weird thread title, but bear with me.  
Ted boy represents, to me, the most reprehensible figure in rock and roll, not just for his politics, but for his musical direction which includes such macho dreck as "Cat Scratch Fever" and "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang".
But I'm talking about a much younger Ted Nugent here.  This is the Nugent of Amboy Dukes fame.  I bought a batch of records the other day and have been slowly sifting through them.  I figured the Nuge LP had to wait.  Why did I even buy this one? I asked myself. 
So getting down toward the end of the pile, I finally gave the Amboys LP a good cleaning and a spin for curiosity sake.  Well, I'll be dipped.  This ain't no "Cat Scratch Fever".  Hell, I'm not even sure what it is.  Strange ventures in rock and roll replete with some very creative lead guitar work from... yeah, that guy.

I won't try to write a review for this record (or did I just do that?) because an All Music user who goes by the user name Bull Boy wrote the perfect review for this very interesting album.  You can check that out here:

Ted fucking Nugent.  I'll be goddamned.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    edited October 2022
    Reconsider. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited October 2022
    I believe Cat Scratch Fever is the first song Ed learned on guitar. 
    Carry on…

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Reconsider. 
    Why?  Does it somehow appear that my thoughts are merely impulsive? 
    Have you listened to this music?  Did you read the review I linked?
    Reconsider indeed!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Hi! said:
    I believe Cat Scratch Fever is the first song Ed learned on guitar. 
    Carry on…

Yeah, I can dig it.  Sure it's a catchy tune and we were all teenagers at one time.  But listen to the music on Migration if you get a chance.  Where someone like has grown and matured, it's almost as though Nugent regressed.  Much of his music on Migration is far more mature than groin scratching neanderthal tunes like "Cat Scratch Fever."
    The whole thing is strange.  But anyway, I stand by my thoughts here.

• Options
    Jerry Lee Lewis, Michael Jackson, Elvis to name a few.  There are artists that may have had checkered pasts but you can still like the music.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited October 2022

I think it's ok (& sometimes necessary) to separate the music from the person who made it.

I can't see myself supporting Joseph Arthur moving forward based on who he's shown us he is in recent years; but I still very much love the two RNDM albums, and listen to them regularly. I never won't love those albums / songs. 

I'm also under the impression Josh Hommes is a tremendous jerk based on what I've seen and heard; he's also arguably my favorite songwriter of the last 20 years. I'm not going to stop listening to or going to see QOTSA, just because he's a jerk. Is some of that cognitive dissonance on my part? Probably, but ain't none of us perfect either. 
  • Options

I think it's ok (& sometimes necessary) to separate the music from the person who made it.

I can't see myself supporting Joseph Arthur moving forward based on who he's shown us he is in recent years; but I still very much love the two RNDM albums, and listen to them regularly. I never won't love those albums / songs. 

I'm also under the impression Josh Hommes is a tremendous jerk based on what I've seen and heard; he's also arguably my favorite songwriter of the last 20 years. I'm not going to stop listening to or going to see QOTSA, just because he's a jerk. Is some of that cognitive dissonance on my part? Probably, but ain't none of us perfect either. 
    Other musicians LOVE Josh Homme so it's weird that he gets labeled as a jerk.
  • Options

It's the impression he's given me in the 20 years or so that I've been into QOTSA. 

In '07 I saw him chug a beer and then whip the bottle into the backstage area... The footage of him kicking the camera while the photographer was lining up a shot from a few years ago... other observations I've made in the dozen or so shows I've seen him perform and interviews else where... it's more in what I've seen of and from him than what anyone else has said that brought me to this conclusion.

I could absolutely be wrong, I don't know him personally; but having been a fan for many years and having seen them as many times as I have, it's the impression he's given me. 

Still love his songwriting tho... no one writes like he does. I'm currently trying to learn the bass line for No One Knows... it's f'ing wild and probably beyond my skill set. Still going to try to get through it though. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,833

It's the impression he's given me in the 20 years or so that I've been into QOTSA. 

In '07 I saw him chug a beer and then whip the bottle into the backstage area... The footage of him kicking the camera while the photographer was lining up a shot from a few years ago... other observations I've made in the dozen or so shows I've seen him perform and interviews else where... it's more in what I've seen of and from him than what anyone else has said that brought me to this conclusion.

I could absolutely be wrong, I don't know him personally; but having been a fan for many years and having seen them as many times as I have, it's the impression he's given me. 

Still love his songwriting tho... no one writes like he does. I'm currently trying to learn the bass line for No One Knows... it's f'ing wild and probably beyond my skill set. Still going to try to get through it though. 
    Years ago I had a friend who was friends with Josh Homme. We went to see Eagles of Death Metal and then hung out with him after the show - we went to a few different bars. Overall, I found him to be a bit arrogant, but not a total asshole.

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    It’s ok to disagree with an artist and still like/love their music. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Years ago I had a friend who was friends with Josh Homme. We went to see Eagles of Death Metal and then hung out with him after the show - we went to a few different bars. Overall, I found him to be a bit arrogant, but not a total asshole.

I fully admit I don't know him personally, and I don't necessarily trust interviews as there's always omissions, and certain context missing due to editing etc... but I've seen him be a dick from the stage enough times to be left with the impression that that's who he is. I could absolutely be wrong on that though. 
  • Options
    Jerry Lee Lewis, Michael Jackson, Elvis to name a few.  There are artists that may have had checkered pasts but you can still like the music.

It’s ok to disagree with an artist and still like/love their music. 

Generally, guys, I tend to have a really hard time supporting an artist I have such strong negative feelings about.  And  I would definitely have a really hard time supporting an artist like the Ted Nugent of today.  But in this case, well, it's an old out of print record from a different time and it not a Nugent solo album, so I made an exception. 

Besides, there are probably more important things to obsess over. :lol:

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    edited October 2022
    It's only rock and roll. I'm coming to that conclusion after a few times around the sun. If I put a group of 50 people in a room I will agree with some things likely in eveyone also disagree. Does it mean you are wrong or I hate you. No. For hecks sake I could be wrong, or if raised like them, believe what they think.
    Who's that dude who sings 'stop hey whats that sound?' 'Nobody's right when everybody's wrong'

Keep loving one another. Or not. 
    I choose love you sons/daughters of guns!

Take care

• Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    Why waste your time, or ours? There's better music.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,833
    Loujoe said:
    It's only rock and roll. I'm coming to that conclusion after a few times around the sun. If I put a group of 50 people in a room I will agree with some things likely in eveyone also disagree. Does it mean you are wrong or I hate you. No. For hecks sake I could be wrong, or if raised like them, believe what they think.
    Who's that dude who sings 'stop hey whats that sound?' 'Nobody's right when everybody's wrong'

Take care

You are thinking of Buffalo Springfield. Great song. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Loujoe said:

Take care

Well said, Loujoe. 
    Classic quote there from Mr. Steven Stills
    Jed said:
    Why waste your time, or ours? There's better music.

Ummm.. who's wasting whose time?  Think about it.
    And by the way- who ever is forcing you to read this thread, tell them to stop it NOW! :lol:

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Billy Corgan is a douchenozzle but I might eventually get an SP tattoo. who cares. imagine not watching a movie because you heard the actor is a jerk. you'd never watch movies ever again. I'm with you Brian. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Billy Corgan is a douchenozzle but I might eventually get an SP tattoo. who cares. imagine not watching a movie because you heard the actor is a jerk. you'd never watch movies ever again. I'm with you Brian. 

Yeah, this was a minor wake up call for me.  But I have to say though, I'm glad I'm not a Kanye fan.  That would put me to the test big time all over again, lol.