RIP D.H. Peligro (Dead Kennedys, RHCP)

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259

D.H. Peligro, Dead Kennedys longtime drummer, has died. The band confirmed the news on Instagram, writing, “Dead Kennedys’ drummer D.H. Peligro (Darren Henley) passed away in his Los Angeles home yesterday, October 28th. Police on the scene stated that he died from trauma to the head caused by an accidental fall. Arrangements are pending and will be announced in the coming days. We ask that you respect the family’s privacy during this difficult time. Thank you for your thoughts and words of comfort.” Peligro was 63 years old.

Peligro’s contemporaries eulogized him on social media. Flea took to Instagram, saying “The first time I saw you play with the DK’s in ‘81 you blew my mind. The power, the soul, the recklessness.” Superchunk’s Jon Wurster posted a video of a Dead Kennedys set in San Francisco from 1984 with the words “D.H. Peligro has left the building. One of the absolute greats.”

Born Darren Henley on July 9, 1959 in St. Louis, Missouri, Peligro began learning how to play the drums at a young age. During junior high, he fell in love with rock music in particular thanks to Kiss, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and Black Sabbath. He moved to San Francisco as a teenager and lived on the streets in a van where he was introduced to artists like Television, the Ramones, Devo, and the Go-Go’s. Once he met the members of S.S.I. and joined the band, he felt like a new world opened up to him. “They told me about thrift store shopping and clubs and punk gear,” Peligro later recounted in an interview. “It was actually quite exciting, when I think about that time, because people were accepted. It was my first introduction to gay people and different-colored hair and mohawks and people just living free, like everyday was Halloween!” He became a fixture of both the San Francisco and Los Angeles music scenes while playing with S.S.I., most notably for melding his drumming style to blend punk rock, hardcore, metal, and reggae.

Dead Kennedys formed in June 1978 in San Francisco with singer Jello Biafra, guitarist East Bay Ray, bassist Klaus Flouride, and drummer Bruce “Ted” Slesinger. After recording their first demos, Dead Kennedys released their debut album, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables, in 1980. Slesinger left the band the following year to pursue an architecture career, and D. H. Peligro stepped in to replace him on drums after earning the admiration of Biafra at S.S.I. live shows. Peligro quickly helped Dead Kennedys evolve into a more steadfast hardcore punk sound, utilizing an aggressive, relentless drumming style that would go on to help influence the wave of crossover thrash that followed. “I just pushed as hard as I could push,” said Peligro. “I’d get a little guff from Ray because he wanted me to slow down a bit, but I just kept going and I kept that pace up. Everybody got used to it.”

Peligro made his recorded debut with Dead Kennedys on the 1981 EP In God We Trust, Inc., which famously marked the band’s first of many references railing against President Ronald Reagan. The record also includes their iconic hit “Nazi Punks Fuck Off.” Peligro’s hardcore drumming style continued in a modified form on the band’s sophomore album, 1982’s Plastic Surgery Disasters, and on through their next string of records: 1985’s Frankenchrist, 1986’s Bedtime for Democracy, and the 1987 compilation album Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death.

Following Dead Kennedys break up in December 1986, Peligro briefly joined Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1988. The band was in need of a drummer after the departure of their original member Jack Irons. As a longtime friend of the band and former bandmate of Anthony Kiedis and Flea in their joke project Three Little Butt Hairs, Peligro happily stepped up to the plate. He performed with Red Hot Chili Peppers and contributed to the songwriting process for several tracks on their fourth album, Mother’s Milk. Peligro was also responsible for introducing Kiedis and Flea to then-teenager John Frusciante, who joined as their new guitarist shortly afterward. In November of that same year, Peligro was fired. Red Hot Chili Peppers replaced him with Chad Smith several weeks later.

In 2001, Ray, Peligro, and Flouride reunited Dead Kennedys with Brandon Cruz replacing Biafra. Apart from a one-year absence to address health-related issues, Peligro was a part of the band’s entire reunion effort, from multiple tours on through to live album releases like Mutiny on the Bay, Live at the Deaf Club, and DK 40.

During the later years of his career, Peligro performed with other artists both live and in the studio, including Moby, Feederz, the Aliens sans Roky Erickson, and Nailbomb, among others. He also formed his own band named Peligro, which released a self-titled album, Welcome to America, and Sum of Our Surroundings. Additionally, he fronted the bands Reverend Jones and the Cool Aid Choir, the Hellions, and Al Sharpton’s Hair.

Peligro was an early Black icon in the punk rock scene and was frequently outspoken about his experiences with racism while touring, including being denied entry into clubs his bands were scheduled to play. “Music would take me to places I wouldn’t normally go, and it’s fine while you were onstage, but when you got off, they’d get drunk and call you all kinds of names,” he told LA Weekly. “You go down South, you go across the Midwest, then people were thinking that it was music for white people, or I was the janitor or security or something. You got to experience the racism firsthand, because everybody wasn’t as open-minded as they were in San Francisco. It’s a bit more open and accepted today, but there’s still pockets of people who want to use punk rock to create hate music. That angers me to no end.”

In a long statement through the Kennedys’ label, Alternative Tentacles, Jello Biafra wrote, “I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. Despite all he’d done to his mind and body, I never thought we would lose him first. He was not just our powerful unforgettable drummer. He was a gifted singer, songwriter, guitarist and so much more.”
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Yeah, saw Jello's very fine tribute to Peligro on FB as well as a drummer friend who was also an acquaintance. Very apparent that the passing of D.H. is a big loss in his circle.  Sorry to hear about it.
    R.I.P., D.H. Peligro

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I wish I would have seen DK in the early 80s but was too scarred of the mean punks.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    ^Smart. My friend worked the door at a PIL show and they were confiscating all sorts of stuff. The thing she remembers most is a 2x4 with a nail sticking out of it. I love punk stuff too but wouldn't want to get bonked with that!!
    RIP drummer dude. Sure I enjoy his music, but as most drummers do go underappreciated or even noticed by dumb fans like me.  Love me some dk's and will try to check out SSI. Glad he inspired some speed into dks stuff. Love that.
    Take care all

• Peligro could hit them skins.  RIP.  He and The Badbrains were true pioneers.

I got into them on their way out.  Would have loved to have seen them live.
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I wish I would have seen DK in the early 80s but was too scarred of the mean punks.

Yeah, same here.  I saw Violent Femmes in their early days.  They played at a scruffy club in San Jose and despite not exactly being "hard core" the crowd was rough.  The band took their sweet time coming on quite a bit late and things were heating up.  The atmosphere was tense as hell and I was very nervous, even while standing at the back of the room.  That's why  I never went to any  shows at San Francisco's Mabuhay Gardens.  A friend of mine and I use to go and hang out outside that club and even without going it in felt dangerous.  A lot of people got hurt in that place.  I never understood the allure of that kind of thing.   The music, yes.  The danger of being hurt- no thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Yeah, same here.  I saw Violent Femmes in their early days.  They played at a scruffy club in San Jose and despite not exactly being "hard core" the crowd was rough.  The band took their sweet time coming on quite a bit late and things were heating up.  The atmosphere was tense as hell and I was very nervous, even while standing at the back of the room.  That's why  I never went to any  shows at San Francisco's Mabuhay Gardens.  A friend of mine and I use to go and hang out outside that club and even without going it in felt dangerous.  A lot of people got hurt in that place.  I never understood the allure of that kind of thing.   The music, yes.  The danger of being hurt- no thanks!
    I agree with you....it wasn't worth the risk of getting hurt.  There were dozens of great punk line-ups at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles in the early 80s but the threat of being hassled by angry punks kept me away from going.

JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I agree with you....it wasn't worth the risk of getting hurt.  There were dozens of great punk line-ups at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles in the early 80s but the threat of being hassled by angry punks kept me away from going.

That was a smart move but unfortunate to have to miss what were no doubt some great shows.  I'm glad some of that scene was caught on film and made its way to documentaries like "American Hardcore" and "The Decline of Western Civilization".

• Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

You missed out. 
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

You missed out. 
    I did, but as the scene "matured", I got to see most of the bands I liked.

There was a local punk gang known as "The Lads".....they had a member who was a boxer, and he was know for taking on multiple victims at once.  At a Circle Jerks show at the Stardust ballroom, he very quickly punched myself and 2 friends to the ground.  Fun times.
    Yep. I was at slayer + henry rollins shows and one dude was a whirlwind of pain. Not one on one fighter, but if you were close to him likely get pummeled to the ground. Always missed my lucky butt!! Didn't keep me out of the pit. I guess just lucky :/
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

You missed out. 

There was a local punk gang known as "The Lads".....they had a member who was a boxer, and he was know for taking on multiple victims at once.  At a Circle Jerks show at the Stardust ballroom, he very quickly punched myself and 2 friends to the ground.  Fun times.
    That stinks^^when I jumped into the pit I'd take any painful hits. For me imo it's not cool when it's personal. Reckless pummeling is expected and sometimes desired in an odd way. I find it interesting how hardcore music is about creating friendships, bonding, standing as one, while simultaneously beating each other. We are a bunch of f..k ups. Love you all.
    edited November 2022
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

You missed out. 

The LA Death Squad. I remember those guys. They’re probably all  dead. 
    Post edited by Guy Dudebro on

Here’s a shot of DKs I took from the stage from a show that we did for them at the Balboa Theater in South Central LA in October of ‘85. It was a  week before Frankenchrist was released and the shit storm hit. The show was on two weeks notice and their only request was minimal advertising because they didn’t want a riot. Ironically a lot of that neighborhood burned down a few years later in the LA riots. 
  • Loujoe said:
    Yep. I was at slayer + henry rollins shows and one dude was a whirlwind of pain. Not one on one fighter, but if you were close to him likely get pummeled to the ground. Always missed my lucky butt!! Didn't keep me out of the pit. I guess just lucky :/
    I had a buddy that would target the "bullies" at shows.  There were some people that went to these things just to pick on smaller guys.

Anywho my buddy went up behind him, tapped him on the shoulder and dropped him and ran away, lol.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Those idiots hurting each other at those shows are just not what I would call a fun night! To go home with a concussion is literally idiotic.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....