Options

Bush must've been watching a LOT of PJ videos...

2»

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    Gavin made a comment on Much Music's Intimate and Interactive that he is a much bigger fan of Nirvana than Pearl Jam
    I think a lot of us were back then.  I know I was.
    I definitely was. I had a visceral reaction to first hearing the whole Nevermind album that I'd never had to an album before. Literally jumping & slamming all over my room without ever having seen a video showing that.

My story is funny, a guy I totally had a crush on at school in '91 handed me his Nevermind cd and said "Listen to this". I did, I was floored, and he said "Nirvana is playing in town next week, you should go." The show was long sold out, but I went to enough shows at that theater that the door people knew me and often let me slide in if there were no tix left.  The day of the Nirvana show as I walked up alone towards the theater, the door people saw me and started shaking their heads "No!!" and I walked up and they were like "No, not tonight. Crazy sold out." So I just said that's cool, totally understand, and was hanging with them as they worked and people-watching this sold out Fall '91 audience as they arrived (L7 was opening, what a show!).

Then the Fire Marshall showed up, with 3 fully geared up firemen in tow, they exchanged a few greetings & words with doormen, and started to walk in. The doormen looked at me and jerked their heads, and I was like "What?" and they looked at the firemen, then me, and jerked their heads again and I was like "Follow them??" and I didn't think anymore, just jumped in right behind the firemen and literally followed the Fire Marshall, past the ticket takers, into the VERY crowded theater, as he inspected for over-crowding, I made my way to balcony and overcrowded up there and had the most amazing view of an amazing show.

And that friend who gave me the cd and told me to go? He used to work with bands and had worked with Dave Grohl's band Scream before he was in Nirvana. He caught up with Grohl during hte day and was backstage for soundcheck, then said "I'm going for a walk". Dave was like "Um, you may not want to leave, I don't know if I can get you in again" and my friend was like "Oh it's cool, I'll get in"  Well he got back to the theater later and could NOT get in, ended up having to scalp a ticket outside for too much money!! I was like "Only YOU would LEAVE backstage at a Nirvana concert because you felt like taking a freaking walk..."

Either that Dec or the next one I saw Nirvana with the Breeders & Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (Michael Franti's first and most amazing band). Phenomenal show. Ed Vedder was there walking around, but I didn't see him, my friends did.
    I was listening to Soundgarden before Nirvana actually.  I remember being excited that an issue of REFLEX had a flexi record of them in it.  90-91 were some really eye opening years.
    Not me, I discovered Soundgarden after Nirvana. And I discovered them live first, went to see them (same theater Nirvana played) and was like "Oh, damn, ok, I'm in!" and then really got to know their music.

Also saw the Melvins around the same time for the 1st time, and hope I still have in storage my shirt that says on the front "Fuck Melvins" and on the back "Louder than Soundgarden".  Now THAT is some merch =)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Gavin made a comment on Much Music's Intimate and Interactive that he is a much bigger fan of Nirvana than Pearl Jam
    for me they aren't comparable. two completely different feelings towards each band. With Nirvana, I knew I was seeing/hearing something revolutionary. With PJ, it hit me right in the heart, and never let go. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    I definitely was. I had a visceral reaction to first hearing the whole Nevermind album that I'd never had to an album before. Literally jumping & slamming all over my room without ever having seen a video showing that.

My story is funny, a guy I totally had a crush on at school in '91 handed me his Nevermind cd and said "Listen to this". I did, I was floored, and he said "Nirvana is playing in town next week, you should go." The show was long sold out, but I went to enough shows at that theater that the door people knew me and often let me slide in if there were no tix left.  The day of the Nirvana show as I walked up alone towards the theater, the door people saw me and started shaking their heads "No!!" and I walked up and they were like "No, not tonight. Crazy sold out." So I just said that's cool, totally understand, and was hanging with them as they worked and people-watching this sold out Fall '91 audience as they arrived (L7 was opening, what a show!).

Then the Fire Marshall showed up, with 3 fully geared up firemen in tow, they exchanged a few greetings & words with doormen, and started to walk in. The doormen looked at me and jerked their heads, and I was like "What?" and they looked at the firemen, then me, and jerked their heads again and I was like "Follow them??" and I didn't think anymore, just jumped in right behind the firemen and literally followed the Fire Marshall, past the ticket takers, into the VERY crowded theater, as he inspected for over-crowding, I made my way to balcony and overcrowded up there and had the most amazing view of an amazing show.

And that friend who gave me the cd and told me to go? He used to work with bands and had worked with Dave Grohl's band Scream before he was in Nirvana. He caught up with Grohl during hte day and was backstage for soundcheck, then said "I'm going for a walk". Dave was like "Um, you may not want to leave, I don't know if I can get you in again" and my friend was like "Oh it's cool, I'll get in"  Well he got back to the theater later and could NOT get in, ended up having to scalp a ticket outside for too much money!! I was like "Only YOU would LEAVE backstage at a Nirvana concert because you felt like taking a freaking walk..."

Either that Dec or the next one I saw Nirvana with the Breeders & Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (Michael Franti's first and most amazing band). Phenomenal show. Ed Vedder was there walking around, but I didn't see him, my friends did.
    amazing to be there in that time period
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I was listening to Soundgarden before Nirvana actually.  I remember being excited that an issue of REFLEX had a flexi record of them in it.  90-91 were some really eye opening years.
    Not me, I discovered Soundgarden after Nirvana. And I discovered them live first, went to see them (same theater Nirvana played) and was like "Oh, damn, ok, I'm in!" and then really got to know their music.

Also saw the Melvins around the same time for the 1st time, and hope I still have in storage my shirt that says on the front "Fuck Melvins" and on the back "Louder than Soundgarden".  Now THAT is some merch =)
    Now that is cool.  Melvins and Scream I knew of because they were offered from the Punk scene.  Scream was on Dischord so of course I heard of them.  You studied and listened to the other bands on there, lol.

Somewhere out there is a spilt of The Nation of Ulysses and Nirvana.  I would love to find THAT record again.  It may have been a boot but it's been 30+ years since I saw it... 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I never saw Nirvana live. But I saw the Melvins. Crazy show. We got a bit too close to the mosh pit, and before we could move back, my friend almost got her arm broken. I didn't see Soundgarden until that more recent tour with NIN. Had a great time at that show.

• Options
    saw soundgarden in 95. my boss got me backstage. met matt. will always regret not saying hi to Chris. but he seemed in a bad mood. so I didn't want to bother him. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    for me they aren't comparable. two completely different feelings towards each band. With Nirvana, I knew I was seeing/hearing something revolutionary. With PJ, it hit me right in the heart, and never let go. 
    Love the way you describe this. I guess my experience would be Nirvana hit me in some primal ancient pent up part of me I didn't even know was there.  PJ, being honest I didn't seriously look into them until after I read that Spin interview with Ed where he's in front of that fence on the cover.  I liked his thinking so much, that's what made me check them out, but like Soundgarden I wasn't all in with PJ until seeing them live soon after that article, '93 at an early Vs. show.  I guess they got me in the heart like you, but live first.  Heart and body, and Nirvana still taps something I can't even explain.
  • Options
    saw soundgarden in 95. my boss got me backstage. met matt. will always regret not saying hi to Chris. but he seemed in a bad mood. so I didn't want to bother him. 
    You probably did the right thing. I had a similar experience with another similar musician in those days and he had "DO NOT DISTURB!" written all over his troubled face. On the street or in a store is one thing, but backstage is their sanctuary where artists are supposed to be able to be "off-duty" so if you got "Stay away!" vibes, you were right to respect them. Even if you didn't get another chance to talk to him.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

I had friends that did that RHCP Smashing Pumpkins and PJ at the Roseland Ballroom in 91.  They went there for RHCP and came out PJ fans.  They said THAT was a crazy show.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

I had friends that did that RHCP Smashing Pumpkins and PJ at the Roseland Ballroom in 91.  They went there for RHCP and came out PJ fans.  They said THAT was a crazy show.
    I can't even imagine... yeah, adding that to the "When I have a time machine" list for sure!
  • Options
    I saw PJ in 93, just before Vs was released, and I felt lucky seeing them THEN. I can't imagine seeing them at a club in 91. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I can't even imagine... yeah, adding that to the "When I have a time machine" list for sure!
    I saw PJ in 93, just before Vs was released, and I felt lucky seeing them THEN. I can't imagine seeing them at a club in 91. 
    Everyone said Vedder jumped off of shit and the band jumped around the stage like rabbits, lol.
  • Options
    My first live PJ moment was at the end of a '93 club show I couldn't get into until the end when they were playing Porch & the security guards outside the small club in Santa Cruz felt bad and let us in because people were leaving... and I walked into this hot sea of jumping & swaying bodies and everyone seemed particularly wound up and then Ed literally just fell from the sky it seemed... He'd climbed up to the balconies from the stage and dived off the balcony (somehow safelly, I'll never understand how that works for the diver and those dived upon!) just as we came in, then the crowd exploded even more, and then it was over.

It was a heck of a "first PJ live moment" (then they came out and did Indifference, according to the setlist on this site) but I mostly just remember that end of Porch. I just stood there both crushed that I'd missed everything else, and also just hit by a truck by how amazing the energy was.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    My first live PJ moment was at the end of a '93 club show I couldn't get into until the end when they were playing Porch & the security guards outside the small club in Santa Cruz felt bad and let us in because people were leaving... and I walked into this hot sea of jumping & swaying bodies and everyone seemed particularly wound up and then Ed literally just fell from the sky it seemed... He'd climbed up to the balconies from the stage and dived off the balcony (somehow safelly, I'll never understand how that works for the diver and those dived upon!) just as we came in, then the crowd exploded even more, and then it was over.

It was a heck of a "first PJ live moment" (then they came out and did Indifference, according to the setlist on this site) but I mostly just remember that end of Porch. I just stood there both crushed that I'd missed everything else, and also just hit by a truck by how amazing the energy was.
    Google Greg Puciato Jump.

He does this at EVERY show he did.  I watched him jump from the second story of Terminal 5 and Wbster Hall.  He also invited everyone up on the stage at T5 which was AWESOME!!!

He said "I am a man of the people and I want to be with the people." motioning his hands in a come up here way and then, they did, lol.

THAT is one concert I'll never forget! Top 5 for me.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

He does this at EVERY show he did.  I watched him jump from the second story of Terminal 5 and Wbster Hall.  He also invited everyone up on the stage at T5 which was AWESOME!!!

He said "I am a man of the people and I want to be with the people." motioning his hands in a come up here way and then, they did, lol.

I watched the vid that says it was his jump at the last Dillinger Escape Plan show, and yikes, and also he does it so suddenly... it's astonishing to me that no one gets hurt! Not even a broken wrist of someone trying to catch people who jump?

I'm only watching shows from back under the balcony from now on LOL!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I watched the vid that says it was his jump at the last Dillinger Escape Plan show, and yikes, and also he does it so suddenly... it's astonishing to me that no one gets hurt! Not even a broken wrist of someone trying to catch people who jump?

I'm only watching shows from back under the balcony from now on LOL!
    I just realized I mixed up my shows.  Terminal 5 was the last show and he jumped off 2nd deck. The one where he invites everyone up on stage was Webster Hall where he ALSO jumped off the balcony.  Rather than post my video, watch these instead.
    https://loudwire.com/the-dillinger-escape-plan-greg-puciato-jumps-off-balcony-nyc-farewell-club-show/