Options

Observations from the Vic Balcony

eveddertooeveddertoo Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
OK, I ended up with VIP tickets and wristbands because I had to resort to the Chicago way of obtaining tickets (in respect for the VIP that got me the VIP tix, I cannot elaborate further on the HOW). I'm member 7#### and tried everything else first.

The VIP's were forced up into the balcony which ended up being the most beautiful blessing. It wasn't hot up there and here goes.........it wasn't crowded either.

That's right 10C 'ers get your hate on.......the balcony which is very generous, especially if you go all the way up to last rows, was NOT FULL. I'd say they were a good number of seats left and when Ed came on for solo, there were a lot of empty seats, it appeared to me to be 60% full. When the show really got going, it was still very far from full, that's my perspective anyway. Jam productions, our local Chicago concert goliath, I'm sure had a stronghold on the Balcony and released to whomever they usually give VIP's out to.

I was in 4th row Balc, dead center aisle. The very best part was none of the VIP creapies knew any of the songs and couldn't yell lyrics in my ear. I danced and sang and could see and hear everything. Most people sat down for most of the show! Yikes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ya I knew someone on the balcony too and they said there were lots of empty seats, kind of a bummer for everyone waiting outside hoping to get in. I heard the view was excellent up their though!
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    OK, I ended up with VIP tickets and wristbands because I had to resort to the Chicago way of obtaining tickets (in respect for the VIP that got me the VIP tix, I cannot elaborate further on the HOW). I'm member 7#### and tried everything else first.

The VIP's were forced up into the balcony which ended up being the most beautiful blessing. It wasn't hot up there and here goes.........it wasn't crowded either.

That's right 10C 'ers get your hate on.......the balcony which is very generous, especially if you go all the way up to last rows, was NOT FULL. I'd say they were a good number of seats left and when Ed came on for solo, there were a lot of empty seats, it appeared to me to be 60% full. When the show really got going, it was still very far from full, that's my perspective anyway. Jam productions, our local Chicago concert goliath, I'm sure had a stronghold on the Balcony and released to whomever they usually give VIP's out to.

I was in 4th row Balc, dead center aisle. The very best part was none of the VIP creapies knew any of the songs and couldn't yell lyrics in my ear. I danced and sang and could see and hear everything. Most people sat down for most of the show! Yikes.

glad you enjoyed yourself, but I wouldn't have traded my spot on the floor, no not up front, about half way to the back against the second rail center, for anything. the energy shared between everyone down there was spectacular, we all belted out the songs lyrics together, loud and proud, no prude's to be found. After that day in line, 10 hrs plus, we had to hang together down below, our experience down there was singularly unique.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    yeah the floor was intense and i'm sure the balcony was a great view. I noticed when looking up at the balcony that there were so many empty seats. I figured that they would fill up but i was surprised they didn't.
    9/16/96, 7/18/98, 11/02/00, 08/4/01, 12/08/02, 4/13/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/01/05, 9/02/05, 7/06/06, 7/07/06, 7/09/06, 7/10/06, 7/20/06
    7/22/06, 7/23/06, 04/07/07, 8/3/07
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Yep, that's the fuckin rub. I can't hate on ya for using connections through Jam Productions, I would've too if I knew anybody! Goes to show you how frustrating this was for us standing outside. One of the security guards was honest enough to say the balcony isn't full, but they won't let you in cuz it's VIP. Pretty retarded. On the other hand though, there was easily 200 people milling around after the show started hoping to get let in. I don't know if they would've "Opened the flood gates" and let us all in, or how they would decide who got to go in. None the less, leaving potentionally 100 + seats open when the people that have CULT LIKE adoration for the band stand outside is bull shit.

Was there even any additonal "perks" to VIP like free booze or food? I could understand us being exlcuded if the "special people" got free shit, but if it was just a seat, that pisses me off! Also, did you have the option of going to the floor if you were VIP?

It's spilt milk now, but I'm curious.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    veinvein Chicago Posts: 77
    i'm thinking due to fire safety regulations, there's only so many people allowed in the building. the floor was pretty packed, so i don't feel too bad. in fact, i don't feel bad at all, it was a great night.
    Chicago 95, 98, Indy 03, Chicago 06, Chicago Vic 07
    EV Chicago 08, Chicago 09, Indy 10
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    vein wrote:
    i'm thinking due to fire safety regulations, there's only so many people allowed in the building. the floor was pretty packed, so i don't feel too bad. in fact, i don't feel bad at all, it was a great night.

no way.

free tickets were given to people who did not show up.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,131
    yeah the floor was intense and i'm sure the balcony was a great view. I noticed when looking up at the balcony that there were so many empty seats. I figured that they would fill up but i was surprised they didn't.

Why is everyone so shocked? Hasn't anyone considered that some people that had balcony seats probably headed for the floor? It's not as if those empty seats represent people that decided to stay home and watch Cosby Show re-runs.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    no shit.......that is the first thing i thougt of as well.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    no way.

free tickets were given to people who did not show up.

I think the venue was at maximum capacity. For those who do not live in Chicago, the City takes maximum occupancy very seriously ever since the E2 disaster 4-5 years ago. No exceptions. Although security was checking wrist bands tightly to make sure only 10c members were downstairs and VIPs were upstairs, a few got through the cracks. I was in the balcony for the show and I saw a bunch of people with the orange wristbands.

I would not be surprised if a few people had tickets and could not make it - remember family members and industry people were in attendance. The boxes where the Cubs players and the bands' spouses were sitting were also packed so it is possible people with tickets to the balcony were in the boxes. I have a hard time believing that there were tickets unaccounted for.
    1996 - Columbia, MD 2000 - East Troy, WI 2003 - Chicago 2006 - Chicago 2007 - Chicago Vic Theater; Chicago Lollapalooza 2013 - Chicago Wrigley Field; Worcester, MA 2016 - Chicago Wrigley Field #1 2018 - Chicago Wrigley Field #1 2023 - Chicago Night #1
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    Hey, are you the lady I met Friday on the red line commuter train, coming back an inning early from the Cubs game to make it to Lolla? You had pics of Ed at the Cubs game on your camera?

Let me know, I can send you to the weblinks and stuff we talked about.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    first thing i did was check where the exits were

i like 30 minutes from where The Station nightclub shit happened and it's really the first thing I do in public places... especially over crowded ones
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,783
    the people that weren't in the balcony seats were literally standing on my feet on the floor. luckily I'm 6'4", so i couldn't complain about the view, but damn that floor was tightly packed with manfunk
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    doesnt sound like my kind of party up there...
  • Options
    BigRedEd97 wrote:
    I think the venue was at maximum capacity. For those who do not live in Chicago, the City takes maximum occupancy very seriously ever since the E2 disaster 4-5 years ago. No exceptions. Although security was checking wrist bands tightly to make sure only 10c members were downstairs and VIPs were upstairs, a few got through the cracks. I was in the balcony for the show and I saw a bunch of people with the orange wristbands.

I would not be surprised if a few people had tickets and could not make it - remember family members and industry people were in attendance. The boxes where the Cubs players and the bands' spouses were sitting were also packed so it is possible people with tickets to the balcony were in the boxes. I have a hard time believing that there were tickets unaccounted for.

i wasnt at the show to discuss the capacity...but the city took capacity seriously for about 3 weeks...during that time period you couldnt get into a bar and not see a cop or a line...now it is free reign again...remember the superbowl???...every place was over capacity.
  • Options
    JLukinJLukin Posts: 54
    I believe that we would have all been let in at some point if it wasn't for 2 or 3 dickheads waiting outside. The security guards were letting a few people in every 15 minutes or so about half way thru the set. That all stopped when a couple drunkies started mouthing off to the security guards. Which made no sense. It was complete BS. We were told from about 2 hours before the show and on 'there are no tickets, no one is going to get in' and then the same people turn around and start handing out physical tickets not wristbands to some of the lucky sad bastards standing in the alley trying to hear the show. I was the guy calling out all the song titles in the alley for those who could not make them out. It sounded great from the alley I can't imagine how it was inside. All I have to say is F the VIP section. We watched as countless 'VIP' people showed up an hour or more after PJ had started. We also watched as they left early. It was painful. There was no reason for them not to let all of us stragglers in as people were leaving. I would have still paid my way in even just to see a few songs. So much for a 10C members only show..
    2000 8/3 8/9 8/10 8/12 8/18 8/20 8/21 9/5 10/7 10/8 10/9
    2002 12/8 12/9
    2003 4/11 4/21 4/25 4/26 6/24 7/2 7/3
    2004 9/28 9/29 10/1 10/2 10/3
    2005 9/28
    2006 5/19 5/20 5/22 5/27 5/28 6/23 6/24
    2007 8/5
    2008 6/11 6/12 6/19 6/20