Options

Who You Are

rmc1981rmc1981 Posts: 114
edited April 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Why don't they play this song live anymore? I think its one of their best.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    I love this song, too. I was just listening to it this morning.

I frankly think that they don't play it because the audience response is somewhat underwhelming. I've heard a lot of older fans say that they were extremely disturbed when they first heard this song. I imagine that if what first got you into Pearl Jam was ALIVE and EVENFLOW, this is really not what you wanted to hear from them.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I think it´s hard for them to play this one without Jack.
    His beat is half the song really...
    but indeed a nice song!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    SLH916 wrote:
    I love this song, too. I was just listening to it this morning.

I frankly think that they don't play it because the audience response is somewhat underwhelming. I've heard a lot of older fans say that they were extremely disturbed when they first heard this song. I imagine that if what first got you into Pearl Jam was ALIVE and EVENFLOW, this is really not what you wanted to hear from them.

It was a shock to the system to fans like myself who loved the band from the start, but that's not to say I didn't like it. It was just WAY different than anything I expected to hear from an album following Vitalogy. I love the song, and did back when I first heard it, and am fortunate to have seen it on the 96 tour.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    BinFrog wrote:
    It was a shock to the system to fans like myself who loved the band from the start, but that's not to say I didn't like it. It was just WAY different than anything I expected to hear from an album following Vitalogy. I love the song, and did back when I first heard it, and am fortunate to have seen it on the 96 tour.

You are a lucky fan.

And PJ are lucky to have a fan like you. I've met a few old-time former PJ fans who were so unhappy with No Code that it pretty much ended their relationship with PJ.

I'm a new fan, so I don't have any of these issues, but I will say that whether you like No Code or not, it is just a brilliant album and deserves to be up there with the best of what came out of the 90's.

The funny thing about this is that if Nirvana had come out with something as radically different as No Code, their fans would have whole-heartedly embraced it.
  • Options
    yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    I lost touch with the band from about 1996 to 2003. Buying a house and getting married and all that stuff will do things to you.
  • Options
    SLH916 wrote:
    You are a lucky fan.

And PJ are lucky to have a fan like you. I've met a few old-time former PJ fans who were so unhappy with No Code that it pretty much ended their relationship with PJ.

I'm a new fan, so I don't have any of these issues, but I will say that whether you like No Code or not, it is just a brilliant album and deserves to be up there with the best of what came out of the 90's.

The funny thing about this is that if Nirvana had come out with something as radically different as No Code, their fans would have whole-heartedly embraced it.

I just love continually evolving along with the band. They've kind of always been there. No Code was just another step.
  • Options
    supposedly, matt can't handle the drums on this one...or so it's been said.
  • Options
    lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    does anyone know why they did play just a girl only 2 times? i like that song
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,159
    did they ever play sometimes?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    did they ever play sometimes?

Yes, many times.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,159
    does anyone know where i could get some shows with sometimes and who you are?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    does anyone know where i could get some shows with sometimes and who you are?

Sometimes:
    Philly 1, 00
    Montreal 98
    Mansfield 3, 03

And those are just the ones I saw.

Who You Are: just look for 96 shows online. Try BitTorrent.
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    supposedly, matt can't handle the drums on this one...or so it's been said.

:eek: NOOOOOOOOOO Can´t be true
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    Lone Wolf wrote:
    :eek: NOOOOOOOOOO Can´t be true

I see it more as a signature Jack song and out of respect they just leave it alone. Kinda like how they only played In My Tree the 'real' way a few times with Matt, and the rest with the new style.