Band Offstage 11:32

01. Of The Girl
02. Garden
03. Alright
04. Nothing As It Seems
05. Low Light
06. Given To Fly
07. Do The Evolution
{We all agree Neil Young is one of the best people on the planet.  Not surprising he is from Canada.  We have toured with him and made a record with him….}
08. Throw Your Hatred Down
{Ed talks about not getting to see the Jackson Five when he was young.  He is glad that a cool dad brought his kid to the show.}
09. Wishlist/Waiting On A Friend-(Jagger, Richards)-40 second tag
10. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
11. Even Flow
{Ed lets everyone know how annoying it is to sing “Happy Birthday” when working at a busy restaurant.  He feels similar while working on stage but two members of the crew have birthdays today and yesterday so he acknowledges them.  And he mentions Kim who first saw the band thirty years ago and has spent the last twenty years as nurse.}
12.  Seven O’Clock
13. Corduroy
14. Immortality
15. Black
16. Jeremy
{In Quebec Ed shared wine with someone named Ashley who had a lot of positive energy.  Ed looks for them in the crowd tonight and once found Ashley is invited to hang out offstage.  He even plays a little song about Ashley Moon will be here soon.  Ashley had been dealing with some painful things and was still a beacon of positive energy that Ed noticed.}
17. Porch

Encore Break
{Talked about the Taylor Hawkins tribute and what kind of person Taylor was and how wonderful it was to see Taylor’s son play drums at the tribute with the Foo Fighters.  He also mentions Gord Downie}

18. Better Man
19. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town (played to the back)
20. Crazy Mary-(Victoria Williams)
21. Alive
22. Fuckin’ Up-(Young)
23. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited September 2022
    Such a fun show. My first Garden since 1994. So much energy all night. Mike McCready was incredible tonight. It's Alright, Throw Your Hatred Down, 7 O'Clock, and DOTC were firsts. Almost 4 years to the day since I last saw them at Fenway. Of The Girl, NAIS, exploding into GTF, an INSANE Evenflow, Immortality, Black, Crazy Mary, Small Town to the back, YL to close...I loved this show. Everyone around us was having a blast. Fun crowd. So glad we made the trip. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    Hearing Gord's voice to them walking out was pretty cool.

Love Of the Girl opener.

Garden second out, seated,  was very special.

Great mix and flow to the set I thought.  Even Even Flow feels refreshed, and man did Mike ever blow out that solo (also when Ed seemed to have injured himself somehow).

Bummed Who Ever Said was scratched, but can't not play Corduroy.  Hopefully get WES later this week.  Was also looking forward to Quick Escape, but I'm sure will get it in Hamilton and/or Toronto.  Alright is a great tune, loved it early in the set (but def felt in the minority, didn't seem like too many around me had heard any of the Gigaton tracks before).

Always love Immortality.

Only negatives from me (and overall, very positive...I had a blast) - no No Code, and Fuckin' Up closed the last show in Kanata in 2016...so could've done with something different there.
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    edited September 2022
    Went to Quebec and Ottawa they were both great in their own ways.  This night topped Quebec for energy from the crowd.  I was at the back of GA with my Hip jersey on and loved the shout out to Taylor and Gord.  Really great to hear Fuckin Up.  Love that tune so much.  Also Seven O’Clock I loved the most from Gigaton. Like any of their songs they sound great live, like better than any album version.  Great sing along tonight!

• SluzziSluzzi Toronto Posts: 7
    What an incredible show!!  Right from the start through to the very end it was amazing!!  Set list was extraordinary. Haven’t seen Of The Girl or Garden live in years and to go into Alright ( my personal fav off Gigaton) was the start of what was an epic show!!  The band was energized and it was such a positive fun crowd.  Cheers to my new friends I met in the pit!  Thank you for an incredible night!!

• nduranleaunduranleau Ontario Posts: 15
    Sluzzi said:
    What an incredible show!!  Right from the start through to the very end it was amazing!!  Set list was extraordinary. Haven’t seen Of The Girl or Garden live in years and to go into Alright ( my personal fav off Gigaton) was the start of what was an epic show!!  The band was energized and it was such a positive fun crowd.  Cheers to my new friends I met in the pit!  Thank you for an incredible night!!

sweet pic! I'm hoping to score a pit ticket for Toronto if you know anyone who wants to trade for a seat ;)

awesome setlist - love Fuckin' Up

I am getting more and more stoked for Hamilton and Toronto!!!
    Toronto '06, '09, '11, '16
  • nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    edited September 2022
    Mike was on fire tonight with his solos.  He went on for 4 minutes on Even Flow.  4. Whole. Minutes.  That’s an entire song in itself :). Check it out: https://youtu.be/tB2LJsW8osA

He absolutely shredded Black and Porch too. 

Garden was an amazing surprise and sounded fantastic.

Eddie seemed in a great mood and sounded good.  Lots of stories and good energy.

I was pleased with the set…. Was absolutely delighted that they threw in YL - I thought for sure Fuckin Up would be the end of it!

Bring on Nashville in 2 weeks!!!!!!

Post edited by nevmiles on
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    Wow, fantastic show! I was exhausted the whole day from my 8 hour drive up from NJ at 3 am, but right when the lights went down and the band walked on stage, adrenaline kicked in for the next 2 1/2 hours. I had amazing seats (second row, side stage, mike’s side), thanks to those who posted here about the ticket drop earlier in the day (love this community!) Mike was out of this world, and I basically got a guitar clinic all night. I felt the setlist was put together really well, and was a nice mix of songs to satisfy both us crazies and the casual fans. The first half of the show was definitely geared toward the die hards, and the second half was packed with hits for the casual fans. Loved the seated acoustic opening. I hope they continue with this the rest of the tour. Of the girl was incredible- one of my all-time favorites, and the first time I’ve heard it live (after 24 shows). Seated garden and NAIS were also amazing. Also, although not many people around me seemed to know it, I thought alright sounded great and really soared live. Other highlights for me included throw your hatred down, seven o’clock, immorality, and fuckin up. The crowd lighting up Mike with their phones during the immorality solo was really cool. I also thought all the hits sounded great- Mike was absolutely shredding it up and the crowd was loud and wild. Those were some of the best versions of black, even flow, porch, and crazy Mary I’ve heard. Too bad who ever said and sad got scratched, but still great setlist, crowd, and show. Also, I was surprised when I looked at the setlist after the show to discover that they only played 23 songs- to me, it still felt like a full show and felt much longer than that. I think it’s a function of them slowing down the tempo of the songs and polishing them. IMO, they sound the best they have in years, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of this tour brings. Also, everyone I met yesterday on the merch line, at the pre-party, at the show itself, and just walking around Ottawa was incredibly welcoming and awesome! It really is true what they say- Canadians are much nicer than us Americans! Hope to see some of you at some of the other shows later on this leg! And now to begin my 8 hour drive back home. Here are a few pics!

• rylanrylan Posts: 204
    What a show! Energy from the band and crowd was unreal. Great setlist too. Our section on the floor was rocking out right behind GA. See all you beauties in Hamilton 
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    First 3 songs were magical.  Just amazing start. 

New songs sounded very good and Crazy Mary was incredible. Also agree Mike was on 🔥.

Downsides were Corduroy, Alive, and Porch.  Quite predictable and boring. 

I get they need to please the average fans, but music fan should realize there are more albums than Ten, and albums have more than 2 songs on them.

It should be up to the music listener to listen to entire albums for them to enjoy an entire show.  Not up to the band to please them. 

Wish bands like PJ would realize that.
  • we had a side view of the show.  Saw Ed limp off stage .  They checked him out just under the stage.  He then hopped backstage. I saw security telling Mike “ keep going” with the solo.  Such professionalism as I doubt the issue would have been noticeable by most of the crowd.  Ed limps back and seamlessly gets back into the song.  Also loved the shoutout to the first Ottawa area show in 93 at Robert Geurtin Arena.  I was there, but stupidly barely remember the show due to alcohol abuse.  This was my fifth or sixth time seeing the gang 🤘. What a great night.
  • Red Lukin said:
    First 3 songs were magical.  Just amazing start. 

New songs sounded very good and Crazy Mary was incredible. Also agree Mike was on 🔥.

Downsides were Corduroy, Alive, and Porch.  Quite predictable and boring. 

I get they need to please the average fans, but music fan should realize there are more albums than Ten, and albums have more than 2 songs on them.

It should be up to the music listener to listen to entire albums for them to enjoy an entire show.  Not up to the band to please them. 

Wish bands like PJ would realize that.
    Not sure what you don't understand that at least half, if not more, of the people who go to the show are only going to one show and are casual fans that only the popular hits from the early 90s. Would be absolutely asinine if they didn't play Alive and other Ten songs. 

Looks like a great show. Can't wait for MSG
  • Of the Girl is an amazing opener and was the first Peal Jam song I saw live 22 years ago. Haven't seen it since and I'm so happy we got it at my tenth show. Loving the acoustic sets to open and the slow build up. NAIS and Garden were my highlights! GTF, Throw Your Hatred Down, Immortality were amazing. First time seeing Crazy Mary and Boom and Mike were trading soloes and loving it! So happy they added YL at the end. Great show, great set list variety after Quebec City. This show was over 2.5 hours in length - maybe fewer songs but did not feel short changed by any stretch of the imagination. On to MSG! 
  • nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    Red Lukin said:

Downsides were Corduroy, Alive, and Porch.  Quite predictable and boring
    Interesting opinion - to each their own I guess - but I am happy to hear those songs at every show.  I looooooooove me some live Corduroy and the other “hits” always get the energy of the crowd up.  I would have been disappointed to have not heard Corduroy last night.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    steven87 said:
    Wow, fantastic show! I was exhausted the whole day from my 8 hour drive up from NJ at 3 am, but right when the lights went down and the band walked on stage, adrenaline kicked in for the next 2 1/2 hours. I had amazing seats (second row, side stage, mike’s side), thanks to those who posted here about the ticket drop earlier in the day (love this community!) Mike was out of this world, and I basically got a guitar clinic all night. I felt the setlist was put together really well, and was a nice mix of songs to satisfy both us crazies and the casual fans. The first half of the show was definitely geared toward the die hards, and the second half was packed with hits for the casual fans. Loved the seated acoustic opening. I hope they continue with this the rest of the tour. Of the girl was incredible- one of my all-time favorites, and the first time I’ve heard it live (after 24 shows). Seated garden and NAIS were also amazing. Also, although not many people around me seemed to know it, I thought alright sounded great and really soared live. Other highlights for me included throw your hatred down, seven o’clock, immorality, and fuckin up. The crowd lighting up Mike with their phones during the immorality solo was really cool. I also thought all the hits sounded great- Mike was absolutely shredding it up and the crowd was loud and wild. Those were some of the best versions of black, even flow, porch, and crazy Mary I’ve heard. Too bad who ever said and sad got scratched, but still great setlist, crowd, and show. Also, I was surprised when I looked at the setlist after the show to discover that they only played 23 songs- to me, it still felt like a full show and felt much longer than that. I think it’s a function of them slowing down the tempo of the songs and polishing them. IMO, they sound the best they have in years, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of this tour brings. Also, everyone I met yesterday on the merch line, at the pre-party, at the show itself, and just walking around Ottawa was incredibly welcoming and awesome! It really is true what they say- Canadians are much nicer than us Americans! Hope to see some of you at some of the other shows later on this leg! And now to begin my 8 hour drive back home. Here are a few pics!

I see me in the first pic! 😊
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • I was back of GA in my Tragically Hip jersey wondering if anyone got a pic of GA where I might be spotted.  Was a special night all around and even moreso for me when Ed mentioned Taylor and Gord. 😢❤️
  • gypsyteagypsytea Ottawa, On Posts: 3
    Great show! I brought my 9 year old daughter, and it was her first concert. Perfect setting to intro her to the live music scene. The PJ crowd is so chill and gracious (no surprise there), and starting off with a mini, mellow set of tunes, before kicking into high gear with GTF and Evolution was awesome. Mike shredding to a number of Ten classics was great. Seeing my daughter throwing her fist up and shouting repeatedly during the Alive solo was my highlight :) 
  • gypsytea said:
    Great show! I brought my 9 year old daughter, and it was her first concert. Perfect setting to intro her to the live music scene. The PJ crowd is so chill and gracious (no surprise there), and starting off with a mini, mellow set of tunes, before kicking into high gear with GTF and Evolution was awesome. Mike shredding to a number of Ten classics was great. Seeing my daughter throwing her fist up and shouting repeatedly during the Alive solo was my highlight :) 
    ❤️ this.  This is what it’s all about. ❤️
  • Sad crossed out now for the second time....its totally fine if they wanna save that and Brother for Camden....id completely understand 😄
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    edited September 2022
    This was my first time in Canada and what a great show to start my 5 show run. While there were plenty of songs I would have liked to have seen, I was completely happy with what they played. Ed’s voice sounded great. Mike was on fire - so much energy. I loved the long solos. You can tell he how much he loves playing. I did see Ed rubbing his leg and now know from other posts some type of injury happened. But barely noticeable in his performance. 

It was also my first GA experience with Pearl Jam. After a long day of hanging out with amazing people (looking at you @100 Pacer , @PJNB and the lovely Jess, @GTFLYGIRL, and others) managed to get 2nd row. That in itself made it one of the best shows I have seen. I also got to drink the wine. I am not a fan of red wine, but you know I drank the whole cup. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • northcountrygirlnorthcountrygirl Montréal, Canada Posts: 136
    Great show! Worth waiting over two years. More mature maybe, less songs, but great set list (with a few crowd pleasers of course). Just sorry I cannot make it to any other shows with the new dates. Come back soon!!
  • southpsouthp Posts: 265
    I’ll start by saying this was my first PJ show in a Looong time (Montreal 2011).  My love never waned but the fact that it always required travel made it less appealing. Plus I felt like I had already experienced them at their best like Toronto ‘96, or Jones Beach 2000, or MSG in 2010. Fast forward to Gigaton, which I enjoyed more than the previous three albums and I decided to go for Ottawa 2020. Well 2.5 years later here we are!

Seated acoustic opening 
    I absolutely love the seated opening. They had done the acoustic encore sets during the Canadian 2005 tour and loved it then and still do now. It also reminds me of cool shows like Red Rocks 95 and allows the band to play some rarities that may otherwise kill the main set momentum. A casual fan (including my wife next to me) wouldn’t really get it but I leaned over and told her “it’s a fanboy opening. The greatest hits will come at the end”. And I was right on both accounts. It was a great start for those of us looking for deeper cuts and something different that I had never experienced to start a show, followed by the heavy hitters. By the time GTF hit we all felt ready to erupt….the whole room could finally sing along. “The love he receives is the love that is saaaaaaved!”

Set lists - Quality over Quantity
    I’ve followed the discussion here and yeah I’m thinking of those epic shows I’ve attended (MSG shows with 32 songs). But I’ve never been a rarities checkbox person,  nor am I an ingrate who gets upset when the opening notes of Even Flow are played. Quite the opposite! Corduroy, GTF and Betterman (as I’ve gotten older) are probably absolute favourites and loved every minute of them last night. I especially like them because the whole room comes alive. If they slog through Help Help, Pilate or Inside Job the energy sags. Last night the only momentum killers IMO were Wishlist and Seven O’Clock (which I like but it’s just OK live)  Sure a track from No Code (Smile or In My Tree at the slower tempo) would’ve been nice but personally I didn’t miss anything from Riot Act, BS or LB. I should mention this is my first concert of any band since COVID and between the logistics, crowds, volume, and sing-alongs, it was just about the perfect length for me.  

Greatest Hits
    I see that Who Ever Said was scratched for Corduroy and Sad scratched for Black. As much as I wanted more Gigaton I’m really happy with those substitutions. It’s all about energy.  An important thing I appreciated last night was that the hits were played at the right speed and the love they deserved. If that means dropping 1-2 b-sides so that Eddie could deliver a killer version of Jeremy I’m in favour of it. Played at the right pace, with Eddie mixing in the right amount of crowd participation made it a wonderful highlight along with many of the Ten tracks. There were two reasons for this; one is that I see it through the eyes of the casual fan and the second is the emotional wave of nostalgia I feel with the Ten songs - a ten+ year wait for me and the beautiful catharsis that those songs can deliver when played with passion.  

Highlights
    Garden early in the setlist and part acoustic was very cool. But in general the build up to GTF when they ditched the seats and the place lit up. Along with Jeremy as mentioned above I also thought Immortality and Black were perfect. Really everything after Seven O’clock was amazing. In terms of the encore I believe there was also a scratched Baba for Fuckin Up which I’m really pleased with - much more fun for the sing alongs. In the moment I thought they were dropping Ledbetter because Mike had originally grabbed his strat but luckily we still got Ledbetter after. Really nice end and as much as I love Indifference it’s a bit of a downer ending. 

The Ottawa Experience 
    I love the city of Ottawa and have attended several shows and hockey games at the CT Centre. Living near Montreal I have the option of driving directly home after a show which I did last night (just under 2hrs drive, in bed by 2am).  Previously I thought Ottawa crowds were quite tame vs Montreal and Toronto but last night was electric and it seems like Eddie noticed.  But I still have two questions…Why on earth did they build that arena way out there? And why would PJ play QC City and Ottawa but skip Montreal yet again??
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,920
    I'm sure it's coincidental, but these modern shows have an underlying structure that feels like on any given a night, a new Vault release could be born.

Still loose & lively, but there's definitely a pattern/road map & I kinda love it. Take last night. Here's what six sides of vinyl could look like:

Record I, Side A

1. OF THE GIRL (acoustic, seated)
    2. GARDEN (half-acoustic, seated)
    3. ALRIGHT (acoustic, seated)
    4. NOTHING AS IT SEEMS (acoustic, seated)
    5. LOW LIGHT (acoustic, seated)

Record I, Side B

6. GIVEN TO FLY
    7. DO THE EVOLUTION
    8. THROW YOUR HATRED DOWN (N. Young)
    9. WISHLIST/WAITING ON A FRIEND tag (Jagger, Richards)

Record II, Side A

10. DANCE OF THE CLAIRVOYANTS
    11. EVEN FLOW (full McCready solo)
    12. SEVEN O'CLOCK
    13. CORDUROY

Record II, Side B

14. IMMORTALITY
    15. BLACK
    16. JEREMY 
    17. PORCH :encore break:

Record III, Side A

18. BETTER MAN (no tag, include banter)
    19. ELDERLY WOMAN BEHIND THE COUNTER IN A SMALL TOWN (rear stage)
    20. CRAZY MARY (V. Williams)

Record III, Side B

21. ALIVE
    22. FUCKIN' UP (N. Young)
    23. YELLOW LEDBETTER :outro, take a bow:
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited September 2022
    Had another amazing time last night in Ottawa.

Huge fan of the sit down start since we lost the first encore with these new sets. Of the Girl is one of my fav openers so always a pleasure to hear that. Garden sitting down and so early is a really great choice. It is such an underrated live song and surprised me that early. NAIS keeps following me around and no complaints here love that song. 

Once they started picking up the pace the crowd responded better than I expected based off Ottawa’s reputation. Given to Fly as the song choice to get it going was perfect. Shout out to the 14 year old and dad next to me in GA who really wanted to hear it and it was fun bouncing around with them. 

Evenflow with the extended Mike solo was excellent too. You could see a stage crew member signal to him Eddie needed more time and to keep going and he did just that. Songs 11 to 17 were a lot of hits but just seemed perfect for the crowd. A shortened 7oclock is ver welcomed as I always found that one too wordy and long live losing its momentum later in the song. Last night was a perfect length. Immortality is top 3 favourite song for me along with Present Tense and Release. Loved the version last night and the crowd was very into it. Was lucky to get a used pick from Eddie in QC after Present Tense and somehow got the one used for Immortality last night. Coming from those two songs is so fucking cool to me and we will keep those forever. 

The encore is very much the most predictable part of the show now but I was happy with the small song changes they made. It had been awhile since I heard Crazy Mary so that was fun to sing along to live again. Also  Fuckin Up is such a badass song and would that to be swapped in more. 

For the crew in the back of the stage rocking out all night I just want to say you guys did a great job! The guy in the white tshirt who got the Tambo if you are on here I got a great vid of it and can send it to you.

Post edited by PJNB on
  • gypsytea said:
    I brought my 9 year old son for his first PJ concert! He’s been to others but nothing can prepare you for a live PJ show. Also loved how into the fist throwing he got during Alive, I thought he’d think it was too weird for him to do but he just got right into the energy of the crowd. 
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    First show since Covid. Beaming the entire night. Couldn’t have cared less what they played - I was just so grateful to be in the room. #44 in the books, #45 in t-minus 48 hours or so 🤘🏻
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • AH192904AH192904 Posts: 1
    edited September 2022
    I don't really post on here, but I want to sincerely thank the other fans in section 117 who helped me to exit the section due to a medical emergency.  My 11yr old was really scared and the people who helped propel me up the stairs until the paramedics could get to me were very kind. 

Quebec City & Ottawa were meant to be a bonding over music exercise with my young one.  These were our first two outings of this type since COVID.  Sadly, we only made it through 3 songs in Ottawa.  On a positive note I'm still "Alive" and they finally figured out what's wrong with my heart, so onward we go.  Hope to be there for another one sometime with kid in tow.  Peace everyone.
    Post edited by AH192904 on
  • ninjadaveninjadave Jtown PA Posts: 128
    edited September 2022
    Me and the wife made the trip from PA for this one. She hasn't seen them since 2013, I saw them last at the 10 show in Philly 2016. I finally hit GA when they did the recent add on lottery and GA is the only way to fly. the intensity of the crowd, the sound, nothing better!

Funny thing is, they opened with Of the Girl in Pgh 2013, her first gig and this one too. Wild. The seated start is amazing. Its definitely to get his voice warmed up as well as ease into the night, he said that as much (ie. after Alright - "we gonna do a couple more seated and then when we start, we won't be stopping" - paraphrase). i like that change, i hope it continues. 

Just being able to hear everything crystal clear those first 5 songs, since they are a little mellower and no distortion, etc. His voice was incredible tonight. He's fully recovered for sure. I never did notice he was limping so that is interesting, my wife never commented either so if he was hurt, it sure didn't look like it. Acoustic Garden, Alright sounded amazing live, NAIS and Low Light - incredible.

Overall, I understand the frustration with the number of songs and for my part, its understandable - BUT, Ed does A LOT of talking, hard to quibble with that, and its clearly to get a break and also give the other guys a break, AND he loves to tell stories. This is nothing new. As far as the hits and seeing EF, CORDUROY,  Black, Jeremy, Betterman again, I'm bummed but only because I would have rather them not scratch Who Ever Said and SAD, but i know why they did. The new songs kill the momentum, as good as 7OClock is, it kills the momentum and as the show progresses they sense this. Even Throw your Hatred Down killed the momentum but its a even tempo song and it doesn't take a lot of energy to play. I predicted almost all those songs being played because most not played in Quebec. But the crowd reaction to EF, GTF, Cord, Porch, BM, Jeremy, Black, INSANE....this is why they play them. The whole building is shaking, and the singing....

I think only 7 repeats from Quebec which is great. Really, we are spoiled when it comes to songs played. No band does this to this extent. I was bummed only slightly I didn't get an OLD song I had not heard but I saw that as a long shot anyway based upon the new setlist length.

Song notes - Josh played acoustic on NAIS, both MC and Stone had electric's and there was a full on acoustic thru the whole song, he played behind the amps so only the back could see. DOTC and all the new songs are amazing live. so much better than the record IMO. MC absolutely shredded the solos, NAIS, Immortality, CM but I think Porch, Black and EF solos WAY too long. Could easily do another song there if he cut them down. I've been to 20 shows and have seen CM 7 times now. Another song that just follows me. At least they didn't' play Last Kiss!!!! Boom needs it or he's pretty much a nonfactor and for most gigs, he is. This one he shinned, him and Mike killed it. 

Gigaton if i had to rate it, is probably last in my favs, next to Backspacer, that isn't saying much when you consider the other albums, i'm sure this is the case for MOST, but i know diehards love love love the new stuff. I can relate, I'm a Rush superfan and Clockwork Angels is a masterpiece but most would rather them play 70's shit (i'm one of those too - LOL). I get it. BUT live, the new songs sound incredible, really. they do. So much more than the LB and Backspacer tunes when I saw those shows. which is why I am bummed they dropped one from this show. But they can't play 7-8 of them like before when you cut 10 songs out of the setlist, its a trade off....its a weird thing liking the new ones live and not so much in the studio.....but its one of those YOU HAD TO BE THERE DEALS......hearing the bootleg won't be the same.

Fuckin Up was NOT a momentum killer, crowd loved it. YL was the standard version, nothing extended and MC was pretty much whipped and did a respectable solo but nothing more. They were drained. I get it. I miss the days of the Spectrum shows and even 2016 when they still did incredible LONG sets, but it happens to them all eventually (or it will). I just hope they tour more often as a result and not these stupid stadium shows I can't get too.....one thing they could consider is taking longer encore breaks and more often but that means no opener.

Enjoy the gigs. I hope i don't get more than 7 repeats when I head to Camden with my nephew and friends....and NO CRAZY MARY!!!! lol
    Post edited by ninjadave on
    ~ ninjadave ~
    2003 - State College 05/03
    2006 - Cleveland 05/20 and Pittsburgh 06/23
    2008 - Washington DC 06/22
    2009 - Philly Spectrum 10/28, 10/30 and 10/31
    2010 - Columbus 05/06 and Cleveland 05/09
    2011 - Philly [EV] 06/25 and PJ20 09/03-04
    2013 - Pittsburgh 10/11, Buffalo 10/12, Philly 10/21-22 and Baltimore 10/27
    2014 - Detroit 10/16
    2016 - Philly 04/28-29 and Philly [TotD] 11/05
    2022 - Ottawa 09/03 and Camden 09/14
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    The show was fantastic! Ed's story of not being able to see the Jackson 5 was so funny. Sad being scratched out twice the last two show setlists, is sad. 

Go Animal said:
    I'm sure it's coincidental, but these modern shows have an underlying structure that feels like on any given a night, a new Vault release could be born.

Still loose & lively, but there's definitely a pattern/road map & I kinda love it. Take last night. Here's what six sides of vinyl could look like:

Record I, Side A

1. OF THE GIRL (acoustic, seated)
    2. GARDEN (half-acoustic, seated)
    3. ALRIGHT (acoustic, seated)
    4. NOTHING AS IT SEEMS (acoustic, seated)
    5. LOW LIGHT (acoustic, seated)

Record I, Side B

6. GIVEN TO FLY
    7. DO THE EVOLUTION
    8. THROW YOUR HATRED DOWN (N. Young)
    9. WISHLIST/WAITING ON A FRIEND tag (Jagger, Richards)

Record II, Side A

10. DANCE OF THE CLAIRVOYANTS
    11. EVEN FLOW (full McCready solo)
    12. SEVEN O'CLOCK
    13. CORDUROY

Record II, Side B

14. IMMORTALITY
    15. BLACK
    16. JEREMY 
    17. PORCH :encore break:

Record III, Side A

18. BETTER MAN (no tag, include banter)
    19. ELDERLY WOMAN BEHIND THE COUNTER IN A SMALL TOWN (rear stage)
    20. CRAZY MARY (V. Williams)

Record III, Side B

21. ALIVE
    22. FUCKIN' UP (N. Young)
    23. YELLOW LEDBETTER :outro, take a bow:

Ah yes please!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    edited September 2022
    PJNB said:
    Had another amazing time last night in Ottawa.

Huge fan of the sit down start since we lost the first encore with these new sets. Of the Girl is one of my fav openers so always a pleasure to hear that. Garden sitting down and so early is a really great choice. It is such an underrated live song and surprised me that early. NAIS keeps following me around and no complaints here love that song. 

Once they started picking up the pace the crowd responded better than I expected based off Ottawa’s reputation. Given to Fly as the song choice to get it going was perfect. Shout out to the 14 year old and dad next to me in GA who really wanted to hear it and it was fun bouncing around with them. 

Evenflow with the extended Mike solo was excellent too. You could see a stage crew member signal to him Eddie needed more time and to keep going and he did just that. Songs 11 to 17 were a lot of hits but just seemed perfect for the crowd. A shortened 7oclock is ver welcomed as I always found that one too wordy and long live losing its momentum later in the song. Last night was a perfect length. Immortality is top 3 favourite song for me along with Present Tense and Release. Loved the version last night and the crowd was very into it. Was lucky to get a used pick from Eddie in QC after Present Tense and somehow got the one used for Immortality last night. Coming from those two songs is so fucking cool to me and we will keep those forever. 

The encore is very much the most predictable part of the show now but I was happy with the small song changes they made. It had been awhile since I heard Crazy Mary so that was fun to sing along to live again. Also  Fuckin Up is such a badass song and would that to be swapped in more. 

For the crew in the back of the stage rocking out all night I just want to say you guys did a great job! The guy in the white tshirt who got the Tambo if you are on here I got a great vid of it and can send it to you.

Drastic plastic!  Seeing more Jeff picks. Hope he starts dumping them like MM.
    Post edited by Loujoe on