JAZZ

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    brianlux said:
    Back to Coltrane: A Love Supreme Live in Seattle today

I SOSOSO wanted to get that but then I read that throughout some of the performance there is some kind of high pitched bell or metallic sound.  Having hyperacusis, really bad tinnitus and being high pitch sensitive, I had to pass.  Too bad because A Love Supreme is my favorite Coltrane records. 

I also really like the two LP Live in Seattle (with Pharoah Sanders).  Intense music!
    I mean, I just was streaming it. Getting lazy in my old age.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412

February 25, 2022

20 years ago, on February 26, 2002, a hard-to-categorize album by an unknown 22-year-old singer, songwriter, and pianist was released with modest expectations. Released by the legendary jazz label Blue Note Records, it wasn’t a jazz album, nor did it resemble anything else on the pop landscape of 2002. But Come Away With Me, the debut album by Norah Jones, would go on to charm the world and introduce one of the greatest voices of our time. The album steadily grew into a global phenomenon, reaching #1 in 20 countries, selling nearly 30 million copies, and sweeping the 2003 GRAMMY Awards with eight wins including Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mickeyrat said:

February 25, 2022

20 years ago, on February 26, 2002, a hard-to-categorize album by an unknown 22-year-old singer, songwriter, and pianist was released with modest expectations. Released by the legendary jazz label Blue Note Records, it wasn’t a jazz album, nor did it resemble anything else on the pop landscape of 2002. But Come Away With Me, the debut album by Norah Jones, would go on to charm the world and introduce one of the greatest voices of our time. The album steadily grew into a global phenomenon, reaching #1 in 20 countries, selling nearly 30 million copies, and sweeping the 2003 GRAMMY Awards with eight wins including Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist.

continues....

It’s difficult to imagine buying anything but he AP version of this beautiful record.  The mastering and pressing is stunning, but difficult if you don’t have a good cartridge.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    I was in Spokane the other night and saw a free jazz concert at Gonzaga University with the  music students. There were 7 different combos playing and they were all spectacular. 
    Included in the songs was a fantastic version of Cheesecake by Dexter Gordon and Four by Miles Davis.  An absolute steal for free. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I was in Spokane the other night and saw a free jazz concert at Gonzaga University with the  music students. There were 7 different combos playing and they were all spectacular. 
    Included in the songs was a fantastic version of Cheesecake by Dexter Gordon and Four by Miles Davis.  An absolute steal for free. 

That is very cool 1T! 
    I have to say though, I laughed a bit at my misunderstanding of your post.  When you said you "saw a free jazz concert", I figured you meant "free jazz" as in something akin to Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor, etc., as opposed to a jazz concert that was free admission!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

SOOOO, have Mono KOB, Stereo KOB, Stereo IN BLUE of KOB. Do I really need that UHQR KOB at $75 above retail from AP store before thr sellout??

unless someone bought an extra willing to part for cost + shipping.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    SOOOO, have Mono KOB, Stereo KOB, Stereo IN BLUE of KOB. Do I really need that UHQR KOB at $75 above retail from AP store before thr sellout??

Sorry, can't flesh it out of my tired brain- KOB?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Kind Of Blue

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Kind Of Blue

Doh!  Of course!

mickeyrat said:

I have this Legacy which sounds really good:

Miles Davis – Kind Of Blue

Label:Columbia – 88697680571, Legacy – 88697680571
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, 180 Gram

I imagine the UHQR is great! Probably gonna set you back at least $150, right?

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Format:

175 if my local still has that sealed copy.

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Format:

Looks like with shipping you wouldn't be able to beat that, so may as well shop locally.  Let us know what you think if you go for it.

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Format:

I'd suggest patience.  I would be surprised if they don't do another run of them. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Format:

I'd suggest patience.  I would be surprised if they don't do another run of them. 

that uhqr series is relatively new, yes?
    have they done a second pressing yet on any of the others?

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Format:

dammit, I just saw they also got a mofi 45pm version of KOB...... $85 on that one...

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Format:

2019 maybe.

I do know the pressing sizes are getting a lot bigger each time. The first few were a few thousand. KOB and the new Hendrix one were both at least  20k

i think with Hendrix they dropped them all at once. I think KOB was in batches.  If they are going with all at once now it’s going to be a while 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    edited May 2022
    oops..

Post edited by mickeyrat on

UHQR 45RPM has apparently been confirmed  AUHQR 0004-45

so you don’t have to wait for a repress, just wait for the 45

edited July 2022
    Looks like 25k of the 45rpm KOB in the next year.  Seems it’s not the next UHQR so maybe the one after as he implied the next one is getting announced very soon 
    Bill Evans box set coming back this summer 

interesting interview 

Looks like 25k of the 45rpm KOB in the next year.  Seems it’s not the next UHQR so maybe the one after as he implied the next one is getting announced very soon 

interesting interview 

That is crazy, that they think they can move another 25k of them.  I'm not saying they cannot, but it's a big number.  

Bill Evans box - is it that Riverside one, that goes for almost a grand?  That's a big friggin' investment if so. 
    edited July 2022
    mrussel1 said:

interesting interview 

That is crazy, that they think they can move another 25k of them.  I'm not saying they cannot, but it's a big number.  

Bill Evans box - is it that Riverside one, that goes for almost a grand?  That's a big friggin' investment if so. 
    That’s the one.  He talks about how big of a pain in the ass box sets are to make 

22 45’s. Crazy box.  I’m really torn as I like evans enough to want those albums eventually and I also know they will sell for way more once they sell out so getting it later will be worse 

if it was getting re pressed in a year I’d probably start saving now so I’d probably get it. He seemed to indicate it’s like next week. You can backorder now so that’s a lot of money with no notice 

pressed at RTI.  I think they pressed the initial pressing themselves   though 

seemed to indicate UHQR will have the most famous jazz albums (not miles) going forward.   Mingus Ah Um would be great as it’s been a few years since the mofi one step (which I don’t have)
    mrussel1 said:

interesting interview 

That’s the one.  He talks about how big of a pain in the ass box sets are to make 

22 45’s. Crazy box.  I’m really torn as I like evans enough to want those albums and I also know they will sell for way more once they sell out so getting it later will be worse 

if it was getting re pressed in a year I’d probably start saving now so I’d probably get it. He seemed to indicate it’s like next week. You can backorder now so that’s a lot of money with no notice 

seemed to indicate UHQR will have the most famous jazz albums (not miles) going forward.   Mingus Ah Um would be great as it’s been a few years since the mofi one step 
    That is interesting that it's RTI.  No complaints though.  

I have a bunch of those releases already, but htey are all 33.  I will say that they sound spectacular already.  Yeah, I'll be torn on this one.  You can do a lot with 9 bills.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

interesting interview 

22 45’s. Crazy box.  I’m really torn as I like evans enough to want those albums and I also know they will sell for way more once they sell out so getting it later will be worse 

seemed to indicate UHQR will have the most famous jazz albums (not miles) going forward.   Mingus Ah Um would be great as it’s been a few years since the mofi one step 
    That is interesting that it's RTI.  No complaints though.  

I have a bunch of those releases already, but htey are all 33.  I will say that they sound spectacular already.  Yeah, I'll be torn on this one.  You can do a lot with 9 bills.  
    I don’t have the shelf space anyway.  No idea where it would even go 
    edited August 2022
    KOB 45rpm UHQR is up at acoustic sounds 

weird because chad said that wasn’t the next UHQR. 

They did mistakenly go live with a Steely Dan UHQR a couple weeks ago though. So who knows if KOB is really the next one or not.  Says it’s shipping Monday so maybe it is 

They did mistakenly go live with a Steely Dan UHQR a couple weeks ago though. So who knows if KOB is really the next one or not.  Says it’s shipping Monday so maybe it is 

Which Dan???
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???
    Katy lied.  It was numbered UHQR 12

People  were able to preorder before it was removed 

edited August 2022

My old brain... 

NEVA mind. :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:

My old brain... 

NEVA mind. :lol:
    Kind of Blue? 😂

mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

That's really interesting.  Katy Lied is the album that the band hated the sound.  And I agree,  it's the worst of my Dan Og's.  Do you know if it's a fresh mix and master? I would love to have a better version of this record.  I love the songs on it.  Although that's a low bar,  since I love everything the Dan does.  

Will you let me know when it hits again if you see it? I don't want to miss that one.  
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Which Dan???

That's really interesting.  Katy Lied is the album that the band hated the sound.  And I agree,  it's the worst of my Dan Og's.  Do you know if it's a fresh mix and master? I would love to have a better version of this record.  I love the songs on it.  Although that's a low bar,  since I love everything the Dan does.  

Will you let me know when it hits again if you see it? I don't want to miss that one.  
    If it goes up I’ll let you know. 

It’s got to be redone or why release it? I always thought the issues were in the masters though.  It’ll be interesting to see what they did to it as I think it’s pretty surely being released at some point since they posted it themselves Vs it being internet speculation.   It’s 20k copies