Options

Canadian Bands/Artists

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    toolie said:
    Saints and Sinners tour update. 

Tour is now November 2021. Big Wreck had to drop out so they added Sloan to the lineup. 

That's actually not bad. Official dates coming this Friday the 27th. 

Sloan, Headstones, Tea Party and Moist?? That sounds like my dream festival in 1994. I'm going.
    originally it had a meet and greet option to take a pic with all four bands. they cancelled that when covid hit but the show was still going on. curious to see if they add it back on now that the show is going to be 6 months after the vaccine is out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I’d definitely go to that show.
  • Options
    The Pack A.D. is doing a live stream of a full show this weekend. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Serlin Greaves (from the Watchmen) putting out new album in 2021, but they released a cover of Neil's Needle and the Damage Done, which I actually took video of them doing at the last WM show at the end of their encore. 

Here's the new studio version:

https://song.link/4mDB3KRmgv0pZ

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2020
    Pulled out The Pursuit of Happiness vinyl tonight. Forgot about Moe Berg.... great album and good live act back in the day. 

EDIT - Love Junk is the album I was referencing and I already gave them an honourable mention earlier... lol
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    goldrush said:
    listening to Matthew Good Band right now. he put out some amazing records back then. He actually still does. His last show my wife and I saw was right up there as one of the best. he's an incredible songwriter, but man, can the guy tell a story. and he is incredibly intelligent when it comes to world issues (not just US and Canadian politics). 

I have a whole shitload of his unreleased and rare stuff if anyone is interested. 
    I would love to get hold of some rare/unreleased MG!
    send me a pm with your email and i can wetransfer it to you
    Sweet, thanks. PM on its way.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Crown Lands is an incredible band. I went to see Jack White on the Boarding House Reach tour. Showed up for the opener. Canadian band I'd never heard of. The floor was packed. I was like "this is for the opener?". HOLY FUCKING SHIT. they are a two piece; lead singer is also the drummer and his voice, honestly, for most of the show I couldn't tell if he was man or woman. it sounds like robert plant. WHILE HE'S DRUMMING. 

the entire crowd went nuts for this band. you'd think they were the headliner. it was insane. they've got a couple EP's and one full length out. highly recommended. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Matt Good (seemingly) has unretired! he's coming to Winnipeg solo acoustic May 31st!!!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    Black Pistol Fire, a two-some from Toronto, friends since early childhood.
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • Options
    KICK7071 said:
    saw them live here pre-pandemic. they were insane live. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    KICK7071 said:
    saw them live here pre-pandemic. they were insane live. 
    Same, their live shows are something else!  They leave nothing behind on the stage.
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,647
    Bryan LaCroix is my favorite.  "Ottawanna Go To Bed" is so good!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I enjoy Reuben and the Dark. Their album "Funeral Sky" is particularly good. I've also caught at least a few of their songs on various soundtracks lately.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Crown Lands is an incredible band. I went to see Jack White on the Boarding House Reach tour. Showed up for the opener. Canadian band I'd never heard of. The floor was packed. I was like "this is for the opener?". HOLY FUCKING SHIT. they are a two piece; lead singer is also the drummer and his voice, honestly, for most of the show I couldn't tell if he was man or woman. it sounds like robert plant. WHILE HE'S DRUMMING. 

the entire crowd went nuts for this band. you'd think they were the headliner. it was insane. they've got a couple EP's and one full length out. highly recommended. 
    HOLY CHIT !  :o:o
  • Options
    been listening again to one of my canadian faves, I Mother Earth. They've had two vocalists...Edwin for the first two albums, then Brian Byrne, who then left after an unsuccessful trying out as new lead singer for STP. Edwin has been back for a few years (no new material, however) but now the band is doing something incredible: shows with BOTH singers. So far only in Toronto I think. but if it's super successful, it would be really cool if they took the tour across canada. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,647
    Love IME. Quicksilver Meat Dream is unbelievable 
  • Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    been listening again to one of my canadian faves, I Mother Earth. They've had two vocalists...Edwin for the first two albums, then Brian Byrne, who then left after an unsuccessful trying out as new lead singer for STP. Edwin has been back for a few years (no new material, however) but now the band is doing something incredible: shows with BOTH singers. So far only in Toronto I think. but if it's super successful, it would be really cool if they took the tour across canada. 
    I always thought IME would have been huge if they didn't breakup with Edwin.
  • Options
    biz999 said:
    I always thought IME would have been huge if they didn't breakup with Edwin.
    they were definitely heading in that direction with Scenery and Fish. I always found it quite interesting that Edwin (apparently) left because of a lack of input being allowed in IME, to start a solo career where nearly all of his music was written for him or co-written with professional songwriters. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    That solo stuff was painful for me. 
  • Options
    Did Brian Byrne really try out for STP? I never heard about that before. 
  • Options
    May 30th said:
    Did Brian Byrne really try out for STP? I never heard about that before. 
    yeah, I think that's the reason he left IME. after he didn't get STP, he decided to go solo permanently I think. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    I got to see I Mother Earth do a bar show here a year or two before covid, it was pretty good.  I don't really know the post Edwin stuff, so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a dual singers show as much.

On the flip side I'm pretty excited to see Our Lady Peace.  Similarly I quite like their first handful of albums and got to seem them place a few times in the 90s, but never since.   Been wanting to see them again, so looking forward to the theatre show they are doing here.

Still bummed the Tea Party, Moist, Headstones tour never happened.  I only saw Moist once here when they played the old arena around '97.  The were amazing live.  Hopefully they tour out this way some time.
  • Options
    the post Edwin material is way more prog rock. Quicksilver Meat Dream, in my mind, is a masterpiece. But it did so poorly commercially they cancelled the tour and I never got to see those songs performed live. 

I bought a ticket to OLP in June. I haven't been a huge fan for some time, but this show sounds quite interesting, with the holograms and all that interactive stuff involved. 

Moist are currently recording, so hopefully that means they tour. The drummer for the Tea Party seemed to allude to the possibility of Saints and Sinners actually happening in a response to someone's tweet, so then I asked him later, and he confirmed...."no SAS". 

Headstones new album Flight Risk is done. I'm guessing they'll start touring in the summer, unless Hugh starts shooting more Mayor of Kingstown. hopefully they don't make that same mistake they made with Little Army: release the record, then don't tour for months because of Hugh's tv commitments, then by the time the tour came around the radio single cycle had run its course. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388
    I think Moist is touring now, or soon. They have a date booked at the Palace (Calgary)  in June, unless it’s been cancelled? I was thinking of going, haven’t seen them since the 90’s. 
    I’d love to see IME with both singers! I saw them back in ‘97 at Edgefest, we won tickets to see them at the Republic right after Brian took over as singer. Then saw them on the bar tour (with Edwin back) (in Red Deer!!!) right before COVID. Would be super cool to see them together. I always thought Brian didn’t get enough respect. Dude has pipes! 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I met Bryan Byrne once. For the life of me I can’t remember where but there was drinking involved. A really genuinely nice person. It was after he left IME and he said nothing bad about the band or the experience. 
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    halv said:
    Elliott Brood are amazing. Kind of a rootsy, rock, country, punk style depending on the song. Remind me of 16 Horsepower a little bit. They don't have a bad album, but if I had to recommend one I'd say Mountain Meadows. 
    Agreed Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows is a great album. Saw them live when that album was released.
    Glorious Sons
    Love Glorious Sons! Can't wait for their show in June.

July Talk is fantastic, seeing them weekend after next. 

How has nobody mentioned Cowboy Junkies?????

Also The Blue Stones, The Racket, Rachelle Van Zanten and of course Leonard Cohen.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Arcade Fire's 2017 tour was a big hit.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Teenage Head founding member/guitarist Gord Lewis found dead August 7. Homicide is suspected, his son has been arrested. Was going to see them for the first time next week. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    wow that's awful news about gord. another gord gone...

Picture My Face: The Story of Teenage Head | A TVO Original Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngA205-4Bg