Options

Why it makes sense to shop for music at independent record stores.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
I just got this message from Discogs in my email:

Discogs’ first ever Independent Record Store Month was a success! Music fans like you supported independent shops by planning in-person visits and making purchases online. 

Discogs hosted a virtual conference attended by record store employees from around the world. They made it clear that your regular visits, purchases, and recommendations all make a difference. Here’s how you can continue to help:
  • Buy your next piece of music from a record store.
    Mass-market retailers like Target have doubled their vinyl sales since 2019. Independent shops need your support more. 
  • Make meaningful connections with your local shops. Stores are striving to be more inclusive with events that engage their local community. 
  • Connect with stores online. Many record stores are sharing playlists, recommendations, and items for sale online to help complement their in-store offerings. 
Independent Record Store Month may be over, but you can continue to support record stores year-round!

This made a lot of sense to me.  They mentioned Target selling vinyl.  I had heard about that when they first started doing that.  I was with my wife who wanted to pick up an item in their cosmetics department that she could not find elsewhere  I noticed that the store had a small section of vinyl LPs and asked the guy in the department if that was all they had.  The guy said, "Yes, that's it for now, but we will be getting more vinyls in soon."  That immediately pointed out to me a problem with a large retailer selling vinyl LPs.  If they don't even know the correct language for that market, why would I shop there?  (I wouldn't anyway, because I don't support big box stores). 
To me, the idea of buying a vinyl LP at a big box store reduces the experience to simply buying a piece of plastic.  The whole vibe of that kind of experience would suck for me.  It would be like going to the grocery store to look for a good book to buy.   I would never do that when I could got to a good bookstore. 
We don't have a good record store in our town, but thanks to the internet, I can shop at independent record stores on-line (unless I happen to be in Sacramento which has some good record stores).  I've found some good ones on Discogs, and also been to stores outside my area that also sell online, and that's where I go for records these days.  That and sometimes directly to small independent record labels.  But Target?  Walmart?  Amazon? Not on your life!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    Target, Walmart and Barnes and Noble have made considerable inroads in the vinyl market (the kids call it vinyls, theres no going back at this point and we have to take the 'L'). But Indie retail is hanging in there. Always better to support them, but I get it, the bix box stores her exclusives and people enjoy those.

• Options
    Target, Walmart and Barnes and Noble have made considerable inroads in the vinyl market (the kids call it vinyls, theres no going back at this point and we have to take the 'L'). But Indie retail is hanging in there. Always better to support them, but I get it, the bix box stores her exclusives and people enjoy those.

I could go on and on about the decline of the English language, but we've all heard that before so I've probably said enough on that.  It is what it is and probably won't change.
    I'm always glad to hear about indie stores doing well and owe kudos to lots of folks here who support them (are there are quite of a few of you here!)  I run a little vinyl section at The Bookery in Placerville and am forever grateful to locals (and some tourists) who support it.  Financially, it helps the store more than me (which is fine!  I want the store to continue on), and it gives me a little something I can call a job.  I hate the word "retirement" LOL.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,121
    I have a great store I go to in Atlanta here and am on a first name basis with the owner. I do mostly cds (don’t have a great record player or space for vinyl currently, but have a small collection), but I make a point to drive the 25 minutes to the store at least a couple times a month. It’s great to thumb through everything and discover stuff in the bins, at the listening stations, or through the speakers on his system.

It’s great to talk to him about artists I’m unfamiliar with. He always has good taste. Just had a great conversation about seeing Built to Spill on Tour.

If I ask somebody about BTS at Target, I definitely won’t get any insight into Keep It Like a Secret or any other classic albums from them. 😉 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2022
    I don’t buy from Amazon anymore due to the deplorable working conditions to which they subject staff. Walmart in Canada doesn’t sell wax to the best of my knowledge (the Target experiment in Canada was a colossal failure) so it’s rather moot, but I would avoid them as well. 

I had four independent record stores in Calgary I frequented and will miss them as I relocate to the interior of British Columbia where the number of record stores is significantly less.  Support local business whenever you can, no matter what they sell is my philosophy. 

EDIT - What I can’t find at those stores I search out from independent retailers online, sometimes through discogs. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    I have a great store I go to in Atlanta here and am on a first name basis with the owner. I do mostly cds (don’t have a great record player or space for vinyl currently, but have a small collection), but I make a point to drive the 25 minutes to the store at least a couple times a month. It’s great to thumb through everything and discover stuff in the bins, at the listening stations, or through the speakers on his system.

It’s great to talk to him about artists I’m unfamiliar with. He always has good taste. Just had a great conversation about seeing Built to Spill on Tour.

If I ask somebody about BTS at Target, I definitely won’t get any insight into Keep It Like a Secret or any other classic albums from them. 😉 

Nice!  I would die to have a store like that close by.  That sounds so cool!
    There are a few good ones in Sacramento but I just don't get down that way very often. 

• Options
    I don’t buy from Amazon anymore due to the deplorable working conditions to which they subject staff. Walmart in Canada doesn’t sell wax to the best of my knowledge (the Target experiment in Canada was a colossal failure) so it’s rather moot, but I would avoid them as well. 

I had four independent record stores in Calgary I frequented and will miss them as I relocate to the interior of British Columbia where the number of record stores is significantly less.  Support local business whenever you can, no matter what they sell is my philosophy. 

EDIT - What I can’t find at those stores I search out from independent retailers online, sometimes through discogs. 

I hope you discover a good store after your move!

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,698
    my go to keeps changing and expanding within the store and finally opening up there storage space for retail......

the limited selection available at the mentioned locations arent an issue in my town. 

we have 7 indies I think?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    my go to keeps changing and expanding within the store and finally opening up there storage space for retail......

the limited selection available at the mentioned locations arent an issue in my town. 

we have 7 indies I think?

Seven indie record shops?!  I'd feel like I had died and gone to heaven!
    I might also be dirt poor after a while.  :lol: