Options

Prague - how about a mainly acoustic show?

drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,067
Just thinking it would be fantastic if the band could do a mainly acoustic show in Prague. Could help give EV’s voice extra time to heal. And give lots of us opportunities to hear some of their lesser played songs. 

Comments

• Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,581
    Would be awesome. 
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    That would be fantastic. Still hopeful it May Go ahead. Flying in to Prague Tomorrow 

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    The last time "this" happened, they started with Release in MIlano and then kept going "pretty much" as usual.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The last time "this" happened, they started with Release in MIlano and then kept going "pretty much" as usual.
    Yep, that is what I expect as well. Just hoping 
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,182
    It might be a good idea for the band to consider incorporating more of the lesser played acoustic tracks into the setlists going forward in general. It’s a win-win- us die-hards would love it plus it would give Ed a chance to rest his voice in between the hard rockers. Maybe a hybrid acoustic/electric show would work. DMB did something like that a few years ago and I enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    KW6232KW6232 Posts: 348
    edited July 2022
    Is Neil Young anywhere near, they could do mirrorball like when Eddie fell ill in San Francisco in ‘96. 
    Post edited by KW6232 on
  • Options
    steven87 said:
    It might be a good idea for the band to consider incorporating more of the lesser played acoustic tracks into the setlists going forward in general. It’s a win-win- us die-hards would love it plus it would give Ed a chance to rest his voice in between the hard rockers. Maybe a hybrid acoustic/electric show would work. DMB did something like that a few years ago and I enjoyed it. 
    Agree. They have a good 40-50 songs they could easily play. For me it has been the most disappointing aspect of this tour - the loss of the middle encore has meant these types of songs have not been played 
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,182
    drfox said:
    steven87 said:
    Agree. They have a good 40-50 songs they could easily play. For me it has been the most disappointing aspect of this tour - the loss of the middle encore has meant these types of songs have not been played 
    The middle encore has always been my favorite part of the shows. That was always when they seemed to experiment a little more and play lesser-played songs for the die-hards. That’s where I heard off he goes, parting ways, all or none, etc.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,828
    edited July 2022
    Why would acoustic songs be better for ed s voice?  I mean acoustic porch and electric porch are sung the same way, no?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,267
    KW6232 said:
    Is Neil Young anywhere near, they could do mirrorball like when Eddie fell ill in San Francisco in ‘96. 
    Neil isn’t playing live again until he feels it’s safe. Even if PJ were playing in his city this wouldn’t happen.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mcg.j.seanmcg.j.sean Posts: 55
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why would acoustic songs be better for ed s voice?  I mean acoustic porch and electric porch are sung the same way, no?

I think the original poster means playing slower acoustic stuff. Off he goes, fatal, strangest tribe, thumbing my way, thin air, … stuff where Ed isn’t screaming and straining his voice. 

Think the opening acoustic set from Mansfield III in 2003. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I think the original poster means playing slower acoustic stuff. Off he goes, fatal, strangest tribe, thumbing my way, thin air, … stuff where Ed isn’t screaming and straining his voice. 

Exactly 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,828
    mcgruff10 said:

That makes a lot of sense.  :)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    The Rome show they released on video on Nugs last year still had a couple of signs of a recovering EV I thought, both Matt and Stone got a song to sing, and a lot of getting audience help in high choruses. But nothing as dramatic as a mostly acoustic set. Something along the lines of the early part of the 2005 Gorge set would be pretty wonderful though.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Wanted to find a source before I said this, but I have heard this before:

Although your natural instinct may be to whisper when you have laryngitis, speech therapists believe you may actually be straining your vocal cords.

If you’ve ever suffered from laryngitis (swollen, irritated vocal cords in the larynx, perhaps better known as the voice box), your gut reaction might have been to assume that it’s okay to whisper until you get better.

That’s not true: Studies have shown that whispering might actually damage the larynx more than normal speech. Performers, singers and public speakers that need vocal rest are also discouraged from whispering so not to strain their pipes.

Source: https://uscvhh.org/share/why-you-shouldnt-whisper-with-a-hoarse-voice.html

No one loves acoustic shows more than me, but unfortunately I don't think it's an option in this situation.  I had really hoped for it in May when the problem was "no Matt."

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    Mike McCready and Friends in Amsterdam 

https://youtu.be/pxmSc0wh1HE

"...I changed by not changing at all..."