Options

Shinzo Abe former PM of Japan assassinated

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761

Gunman kills Japan's ex-leader Shinzo Abe during a speech
By MARI YAMAGUCHI, CHISATO TANAKA and FOSTER KLUG
6 mins ago

NARA, Japan (AP) — Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was assassinated Friday on a street in western Japan by a gunman who opened fire on him from behind as he delivered a campaign speech — an attack that stunned the nation that has some of the strictest gun control laws anywhere.

The 67-year-old Abe, who was Japan’s longest-serving leader when he resigned in 2020, collapsed bleeding and was airlifted to a nearby hospital in Nara, although he was not breathing and his heart had stopped. He was later pronounced dead after receiving massive blood transfusions, officials said.

Nara Medical University emergency department chief Hidetada Fukushima said Abe suffered major damage to his heart, along with two neck wounds that damaged an artery. He never regained his vital signs, Fukushima said.

Prefectural police in Nara arrested the suspected gunman at the scene of the attack and identified him as Tetsuya Yamagami, 41, a former member of Japan's navy. Broadcaster NHK reported that he said he wanted to kill Abe because he had complaints about him unrelated to politics.

Dramatic video from NHK showed Abe standing and giving a speech outside a train station in Nara ahead of Sunday's parliamentary election. As he raised his fist to make a point, two gunshots rang out, and he collapsed holding his chest, his shirt smeared with blood as security guards run toward him.

Guards leapt onto the gunman, who was face down on the pavement. A double-barreled device that appeared to be a handmade gun was seen on the ground.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and his Cabinet ministers hastily returned to Tokyo from campaign events around the country after the shooting, which he called “dastardly and barbaric." He pledged that the election, which chooses members for Japan's less-powerful upper house of parliament, would go on as planned.

“I use the harshest words to condemn (the act),” Kishida said, struggling to control his emotions. He said the government planned to review the security situation, but added that Abe had the highest protection.

Even though he was out of office, Abe was still highly influential in the governing Liberal Democratic Party and headed its largest faction, Seiwakai.

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Horrible tragedy in a country with strong gun laws and almost no gun violence. Perp used what looks to be a homemade weapon. Here come the right wing pro gun talking points. The best laws dont work. In the wake of a terrible crime.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    Horrible tragedy in a country with strong gun laws and almost no gun violence. Perp used what looks to be a homemade weapon. Here come the right wing pro gun talking points. The best laws dont work. In the wake of a terrible crime.
    Terrible tragedy

Kind of surprised that doesn’t happen here more, statistics say it should. Gun laws or not, a determined person getting into the general area can’t really be stopped, assuming they aren’t trying to get away after 

most of the security at the vast majority of political events is a facade to make people feel safer 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Terrible tragedy

Kind of surprised that doesn’t happen here more, statistics say it should. Gun laws or not, a determined person getting into the general area can’t really be stopped, assuming they aren’t trying to get away after 

most of the security at the vast majority of political events is a facade to make people feel safer 

My best guess in the states no one is getting within 100 yards or more of a former president with a weapon (try to even boo trump and security will tackle you in seconds). Japan’s low gun violence gave them a sense of security. But it may be surprising there are no attacks on members of congress here. Well…other than J6.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    Terrible tragedy

My best guess in the states no one is getting within 100 yards or more of a former president with a weapon (try to even boo trump and security will tackle you in seconds). Japan’s low gun violence gave them a sense of security. But it may be surprising there are no attacks on members of congress here. Well…other than J6.

that congrssional ball game saw Scalise shot and injured pretty significantly
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    Terrible tragedy

that congrssional ball game saw Scalise shot and injured pretty significantly
    Yeah. 

One time our congresswoman showed up to help protest some development happening in our neighbourhood. I hate to say the fact it would be so easy for some nut to do something crossed my mind. These people are often pretty exposed. Unless you are at the president level and probably a current president, it’s not exactly safe  

the Scalise shooting and Giffords are the only two that come to the top of my mind 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    A gunman with a specific target is likely more dangerous than a gunman without a specific target.  They will wait for the perfect opportunity rather than spray rounds into a crowd/classroom.

Japan got too comfortable. I'm sure security will change now since the smart move is to make changes when tragedy occurs.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Japan got too comfortable. I'm sure security will change now since the smart move is to make changes when tragedy occurs.
    Sounds logical.

I thought you can’t talk about guns when a tragedy occurs? That’s what we’ve been told forever. It’s the one time it’s off limits. It happens every day so it’s always impossible 

Japan is probably more sensible 
  • Options

Japan reported only one death due to firearms in 2021, according to the National Police Agency. A total of 10 firearm-related incidents were reported in the country in 2021 — up from seven in 2020. 

Eight of the 10 reported incidents were gang-related, the agency's report states.

In the past five years, the highest number of firearm-related deaths per year reported in Japan was four.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    And if you saw the “firearm” the perp used, it appeared more like two pipe bombs in the shape of a gun.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    My wife said the same thing this morning.  I hadn't thought of that, but I can see it coming.
    Terrible tragedy

That's another thing my wife mentioned a few days ago.  Outside of 1/6, She is surprised it hasn't happened yet.  I hope these people are beefing up their body guard and security and being extra careful. 
    We are entering an age of extreme violence.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759

Japan reported only one death due to firearms in 2021, according to the National Police Agency. A total of 10 firearm-related incidents were reported in the country in 2021 — up from seven in 2020. 

Eight of the 10 reported incidents were gang-related, the agency's report states.

In the past five years, the highest number of firearm-related deaths per year reported in Japan was four.

Those are incredible stats. Damn. We can Barely make it through 1 night in NYC with numbers like that. And gun violence is down here since last year! Go figure. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    nicknyr15 said:

Those are incredible stats. Damn. We can Barely make it through 1 night in NYC with numbers like that. And gun violence is down here since last year! Go figure. 
    Their post war gun laws were written by/with significant assistance from….wait for it …..

the Americans 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    My wife said the same thing this morning.  I hadn't thought of that, but I can see it coming.
    Terrible tragedy

That's another thing my wife mentioned a few days ago.  Outside of 1/6, She is surprised it hasn't happened yet.  I hope these people are beefing up their body guard and security and being extra careful. 
    We are entering an age of extreme violence.

I misspoke there, Gabby Giffords and Steve Scalise both survived assassination attempts. 

But given the level of political discourse and outright hatred each side has for the other, it’s surprising it hasn’t been worse.