Options

For the LO2L re-release on RSD, were you in the crowd for any of the tracks? Share your memories!

Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 4,050
edited June 2022 in The Porch
"This one's called the longest title in the Pearl Jam catalog: Elderly. Woman. Be-hind. The Counter. In. A. Small. Town-1,2,3,4-2-3"
  • Coral Sky Amphitheater, West Palm Beach, FL - September 23, 1998.
Night 2 of a two-night stand at WPB, the end of the Yield tour, and my first PJ show.
I was 18 and couldn't find a damn soul to take me down to West Palm. Understandable, being a generous 2.5-3 hr drive from Orlando, but it was Pearl Jam! First tour since they made peace with TM, and I wasn't gonna miss it.
Couldn't afford to break away for both nights, but I could swing the last day. Finally got a friend of a friend interested enough (he was more into White Zombie, which I was too, but his tastes were narrow) to drive us down & we were off.
Turns out we missed Rancid, but the boys made up for it by tagging Time Bomb in the Daughter outro, OTOTO! We arrived late, and left early (guy was a dick), but I got the meat & bones of the show. And I was hooked. I knew my favorite band wouldn't disappoint.
Years of cassette & CD bootlegs were a nice primer, but nothing beats seeing the boys live. Here, I got Release as opener, and a whole slew of songs I never thought I'd get: Animal, Whipping, I Got Id, Rats, BREATH?!? Even as a live show newb, I knew how special that was.
I was on the lawn, and the crowd was pretty chill. Lots of sing-a-longs, but the biggest was Small Town. There's a reason they picked this version for LO2L (AND put it out as the radio single). Ed's singing is so clean, and everyone hits their notes. For an end-of-tour show, they were real crisp, yet fluid throughout.
While I've heard louder "HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO"s since, nothing beats your first time.
Other show notes:
  • Matt sounds like he was in the band since Day One.
  • Even Flow pops up mid set, and at later shows would be no surprise, but RVM at #7 was awesome. Love it as a set closer, but this was just as high on energy.
  • Getting there late, I never even though to go look for a poster let alone buy one. We know how that all turned out, lol.
  • I've heard a metric ton of bootlegs & live selections, and it's actually kinda rare to hear Ed, or anyone mention the band's name. Humble!
"Pretty good singin' there!" - Ed
PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

Post edited by Go Animal on

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited June 2022
    A few shows are represented just by a quote that they pasted into tracks from other songs before they started.  Thought that was cool.  

24 years ago I was a 1998 bootleg connoisseur.   Love LO2L.  It’s such a good document of that summer.  I do wish it started with Release and had Breath but those are minor wishes.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I got see 3 shows on the Yield tour (Missoula, Vancouver and Seattle II).  I was doing a road trip across Canada to go from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland and back.   We weren't sure if we'd make it back for Vancouver, so we bought Missoula tickets and did a 2 day side trip from Calgary down to Missoula.

That show was so amazing.   I actually did get a poster because it was before all the crazy.  They had an ourdoor merch booth, I knew nothing of posters back then, bought thought it looked cool, bought one, tossed in the car, and it survived the entire road trip.

The concert was amazing.  I always consider it my first PJ show.  I had seen PJ do a lolla set in '92, but it was in the afternoon.  The energy was amazing, but it was so short.  Missoula was my first experience going to an actual PJ show, and it was such a good time.  Back in the day when the floor was GA. There was that hill behind the venue where people who couldn't get tickets could watch from (I noticed in the video from the 2018 show they moved the stage to the other side so you couldn't do that any more :( ).

I was a bit too excited when Pilate got played.  I think it was because I spun the shit out of the Given 2 Fly single cd before Yield came out.

We made it back in time to go to the Vancouver show... actually held up at a $50/night hotel in Kelowna for 2 nights to stall for time.. lol.

Then I get back home to Vancouver Island.  I think I'm back for a day or two... and I see my younger brother in the kitchen... hey you feel like going to see PJ?   We immediately drove to Victoria, got GA tickets from TM, sped to the ferry, drove as fast as we could to Seattle, and got there about 5 minutes before PJ took the stage.

That how was mental.  We actually had to back out of the pit a few songs in... it's amazing how much energy we all had 24 years ago.

I suppose I consider the Yield tour to be my gateway drug into PJ.   I kept wanting more.