Options

The Sandman Netflix Series from DC Comics

https://youtu.be/cWJTB6FPVaA

To say I am excited is an understatement.  This was one of my favorite comics as a kid.  It had great writing in Neil Gaiman, great artists in Sam Keith and Dave McKean.

Back story is that Morpheus, the Master of Dreams, brother of Desire, Death, Destruction, Destiny, Despair and Delirium, gets summoned and imprisoned.  With the Dreamlord not around to watch over the dreams the world becomes a different place.

He needs to break out of imprisonment and fetch his helmet, amulet and sand pouch.  His visit to hell is perhaps my favorite piece of comic writing ever so I am going to enjoy this very much.  I hope they pull it off.

It's a Netflix show so that means I will only enjoy it for 2-3 seasons before they drop it.

I would recommend picking up the TPB.  They are all in series form and much cheaper than the OG comics which have become rather expensive.

The writer Neil Gaiman is a critically acclaimed writer who has won numerous awards.  His book American Gods became a TV show that lasted for 3 seasons.

Give the trailer a watch.  It's on the darker side but it looks to be right in line with how the comic was written.

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
     Very excited by this as well.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
     Very excited by this as well.
    Thank goodness someone else knows what this is, lol.  When it does come out hopefully we can make a few more fans!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    We will see how this turns out - certainly hope for the best.  I did get a bound version a while back for a re-read.
    Love his books...American Gods was great. Thought the show kind of fell off but the book was badass
    Loved Good Omens, which I thought was made into a very good adaptation for tv.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    We will see how this turns out - certainly hope for the best.  I did get a bound version a while back for a re-read.
    Love his books...American Gods was great. Thought the show kind of fell off but the book was badass
    Loved Good Omens, which I thought was made into a very good adaptation for tv.

It will only be 3 seasons if you go by Netflix' recent track records so at least we get the first few volumes, lol.
  • Options
    I watched this in 2 sittings this weekend.

Loved it.

They stayed to the comic for a great deal of it and the Hell trip was good but not nearly as good as the comic so if you enjoyed that episode and haven't read it, please do.  A Hope In Hell is a masterpiece.

Show was written very PC in character choices.  Something that adaptions do nowadays and much different from what I read, lol.  

Acting is great.  Visuals are good.

The voice for that fucking bird is horrible and they made him into a friggin jar jar binks....  That is my real big complaint.

I don't want to ruin any of it if you haven't watched yet so if you haven't, do and if you have, let's discuss.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I was pissed about the ravens voice too, I am just not a fan of patton oswalt at all, that is probably my biggest complaint with the show.  I'm only a few episodes in.  Definitely worthwhile, but like you I prefer the comics.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I was pissed about the ravens voice too, I am just not a fan of patton oswalt at all, that is probably my biggest complaint with the show.  I'm only a few episodes in.  Definitely worthwhile, but like you I prefer the comics.  
    Thank God I'm not the only one that was annoyed by that damn bird...
  • Options
    I'm taking my time with this series so I can enjoy it.  It really takes me back to reading the comics.  It is very faithful and aside from Patton Oswald voicing the raven I have no complaints.  I'm on episode 7.  Hopefully they run this series long enough to cover all of the material! I recommend this series to everyone, whether you have read the comics and are a Neil Gaiman fan or not.  Great TV and great storytelling.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    I'm taking my time with this series so I can enjoy it.  It really takes me back to reading the comics.  It is very faithful and aside from Patton Oswald voicing the raven I have no complaints.  I'm on episode 7.  Hopefully they run this series long enough to cover all of the material! I recommend this series to everyone, whether you have read the comics and are a Neil Gaiman fan or not.  Great TV and great storytelling.
    When you get through with this read my spoiler.  It's nothing big but it's some differences I noticed.

The one holding his amulet/Ruby John Dee,  I remember him being a zombie almost and having really, really bad shit happen in that diner.

Hell was a triumvirate.  3 people made the decisions for hell, they decided not to include that during Morpheus' visit.

Was desire always Trans or ambiguous?  I remember thinking it was a She?

Death wasn't African American, it works though, I hope they make her more peppy, she was the chipper one in the comics, lol.

Delirium is supposed to be Tori Amos, right?

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Gaiman is a genius but I have not yet decided if I'll ever watch the series because I'm inevitably disappointed by movie or tv adaptations of books I have enjoyed. 

(not sure I'll ever recover from the suffering induced by watching Ender's Game)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Gaiman is a genius but I have not yet decided if I'll ever watch the series because I'm inevitably disappointed by movie or tv adaptations of books I have enjoyed. 

(not sure I'll ever recover from the suffering induced by watching Ender's Game)
    This has been good so far, give it a go.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Randomly came across this last weekend and finished the series in 2 days. What a FANTASTIC show. I'm not normally a comic book person, but I'm tempted to go out and get the whole series. What an interesting and completely unique story. The visuals on Netflix were really impressive, and the acting (especially Dream) was incredible. Totally agree about the annoying raven tho...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
     :o:o:o  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! TY for sharing! 
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    edited August 2022
    Are they holding shit back?  I've been rereading, slowly.  Look forward to watching.   Have some plane time coming up but I am guessing this will be best watched on a larger screen.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
    Alright, guess I'm opposite of many of you :)
    I love comics, never really read sandman... anyway
    I couldn't get past episode 4, had to stop watching. Got way too bloody, and I love horror. And it was so slow.
    And actually, I though Patton as the raven was the best part, but not enough to keep watching.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Alright, guess I'm opposite of many of you :)
    I love comics, never really read sandman... anyway
    I couldn't get past episode 4, had to stop watching. Got way too bloody, and I love horror. And it was so slow.
    And actually, I though Patton as the raven was the best part, but not enough to keep watching.
    Didn't like the journey into hell?  What part in 4 were too bloody?  And you liked the Ravens voice?  Oh boy...

The other episodes I think get better.  The Amulet one was slow for me, the others I liked.
  • Options
    ok wait, might have my episodes wrong. First couple too slow, the episode where he went to hell was great, next episode was the diner one - no thanks.

• Options
    a5pj said:
    ok wait, might have my episodes wrong. First couple too slow, the episode where he went to hell was great, next episode was the diner one - no thanks.
    Gotcha, that's what I thought, I call that the Amulet episode.  Believe it or not the comic was darker than that but they got the point across pretty good

"there's one at the door, there's one at the door". Glad you at least enjoyed Hell episode.  They get better too.  There is a bunch of Roman and Greek mythology with bits of the Bible peppered in along w Shakespeare.  If you are a literary type then this might be even more fun of a trip.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I enjoyed "24/7" (amulet/diner episode). Had a certain Twilight Zone/Amazing Stories appeal.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    When you get through with this read my spoiler.  It's nothing big but it's some differences I noticed.

The one holding his amulet/Ruby John Dee,  I remember him being a zombie almost and having really, really bad shit happen in that diner.

Hell was a triumvirate.  3 people made the decisions for hell, they decided not to include that during Morpheus' visit.

Death wasn't African American, it works though, I hope they make her more peppy, she was the chipper one in the comics, lol.

I am going to consult my copies and look at what you brought up.  This season is the first two graphic novels if I am not mistaken?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I am going to consult my copies and look at what you brought up.  This season is the first two graphic novels if I am not mistaken?
    Yes, you are good to go on those.  Let me know what you find and if I remember anything wrong?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I knew the diner episode would be tough to watch, but they didn't actually show most of the violence. You could probably skip that one and not miss much of the story line. No way I'd get my wife to sit through that. That section alone is why I don't let my kids peruse ny Omnibus volumes.

The hell episode was great, but nothing matches the graphic novel story. Just perfection. I liked the Death episode a lot too.

I also didn't mind Matthew's voice. Thought it fit well. Overall, a great adaptation of the stories so far. I hope they get to finish them. Some great stories left.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Alright, ill probably finish it...
    Cowboy beebop was amazing - just finished that and loved it.

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Alright, ill probably finish it...
    Cowboy beebop was amazing - just finished that and loved it.
    Our cat whom left us was nicknamed Captain Beebop, lol.